• Powerful

10 31.25%
  • Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%
Page 3485 of 3522 FirstFirst ... 248529853385343534753481348234833484348534863487348834893495 ... LastLast
Results 52,261 to 52,275 of 52830

Quote Originally Posted by Tmacaoni View Post
    Interesting. I think the last time I saw something interesting with Storm and race in the X-books was around the Xtreme X-Men team when she went out with Nightcrawler. The X-Men now are Caucasian as hell and although I don't care about that one way or the other, I do have a problem with there no longer being "mutant" aspects of some characters. What I mean is that yes, Storm is considered black, but she has features that make her mutantlike (namely the cat like face, hair and eyes) that differentiate her from being just black. She can't just walk around in plain clothes without being harassed. All these new teams are just Caucasians with weird outfits and unless they actually say they're a mutant, they won't deal with being harassed on the streets. When you have a crap load of mutants, but only a 2 hand count of characters that are obvious mutants, I feel there is a problem.
    I’m glad you raised this point. I’ve come to interpret the rationale of highlighting how Storm doesn’t look conventionally human or black for that matter as justification on why she doesn’t quite identify with “black issues”. I’m then forced to reflect on Lil Kim and her issues of body dysmorphic disorder. She’s even gone for more cat-like features. I bring this up because in this day and age Storm would probably be taken for a woman that’s had some enhancements. I don’t think she would be able to deny she was black though. I mean unless she was constantly kept in an environment where that aspect of her race never came up in discussion.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Librarian is Open View Post
    I’m glad you raised this point. I’ve come to interpret the rationale of highlighting how Storm doesn’t look conventionally human or black for that matter as justification on why she doesn’t quite identify with “black issues”. I’m then forced to reflect on Lil Kim and her issues of body dysmorphic disorder. She’s even gone for more cat-like features. I bring this up because in this day and age Storm would probably be taken for a woman that’s had some enhancements. I don’t think she would be able to deny she was black though. I mean unless she was constantly kept in an environment where that aspect of her race never came up in discussion.
    Wait. Wait. The highlighted part.

I laughed because it almost says the character doesn't see itself as Black in its own environment whilst under other environments she knows that fact.

Ultimate Member

Another good question. When has a conversation like that come within the X-men books? That leads us right back to the point skyvolt2000 and I were having. With Storm being the only prominent black mutant there the conversation is had for her. She only chooses mutant issues by ignoring black ones all together.
    I don't think it's a matter of choice-it's those stories don't seem to happen with her. Like we saw with Synch in Generation X.

In fact we didn't see it with Prodigy in New X-Men Academy either.

Take Static-only 2 times out of the 53 solo issues and 53 cartoon episodes did you see Static deal with race.

One time was with Richie's Dad in the cartoon.
    The other time was Static saving Jewish churches from a radical black bomber. For reference it was Static issues 5-7 by the late Robert Washington & John Paul Leon. Before Static slowly started from being really dark skinned to a lighter skin tone appearance. This arc is NOT in any trade.
    Static also dealt with LGBT issues in another not in trade arc-16-20 by Robert Washington & Ivan Veldez Jr.

Back to Storm-I think her issue is WHERE would there be time to deal with those issues? And what would be the REACTION?

I'll give you a recent example- in Black AF America's Sweetheart by Kwanza Osajyefo-they showed the lead helping black folks during Katrina. She got questioned for racial preferences-by her FATHER. She's adopted by a white politician. She was trying to help the folks in most danger and then got a lecture for STOPPING a rich white celebrity who was drunk driving on a crowd freeway.

Now what do you think would happen if STORM did that?
    What if Storm went to Chiraq used the winds to gather up all the illegal weapons & drugs in the hood and used lightning to burn all of them-who will have the biggest issue with her? Fox News? Black Lives Matter? Pro Blacks? Other X-Men? White Folks? or ALL of the above?

It will be ALL OF THE ABOVE. Because SOMEBODY is going to take issue with HER doing it. Not Frank Castle when he does it. HER.

Why? Because someone is going to look at all the known X-men and ask where are the BLACKS at?
    Someone will ask the question is that X-gene man made to the point it avoids blacks? Or are the main ones being killed are black mutants?

Now you have new enemy-the black community. Can you image what someone like KINGPIN could do with that? Or a black politician? Run on a platform that EVERYBODY would support in some form to the White House?

You could tackle so many issues-
    Storm dealing with race
    X-Men actually looking for black mutants and MAYBE open the conversation of why some folks tend to hide once they discover their mutants.
    A dig at a certain President
    A discussion of we can be racist to each other all the the time UNTIL something UNITES us together.

Too bad Marvel will never tell that story.

Ultimate Member

Look at the environment that she is in. She look normal compared to most of her team mates and mutant kind.

Interesting you bring that up. I remember a discussion about Lynn on the CW/UPN show Girlfriends. Folks wonder why Toni, Joan & Mya NEVER asked or investigated why Lynn tattoos kept going up in number. For the most part at that time-you didn't see black female draped in that many tattoos. Now it's a bit more common.

So if you are Storm and you are surround by Rockslide, Reptile, Beast, Angel, Marrow, Spike and Chamber-is ANYONE going to wonder about your white hair or blue eyes?

Storm is considered black, but she has features that make her mutantlike (namely the cat like face, hair and eyes) that differentiate her from being just black. She can't just walk around in plain clothes without being harassed.
    Actually she can. A black woman with white hair is not an oddity NOWADAYS.

I have black women with Red, blue, pink, green, rainbow, orange & purple hair. I have seen black women with FOOD in their hair like SKittles or Jolly Ranchers. I have seen MONEY stitched in to hair.

It's not that she is not mutant like-it's the WORLD has changed so much that she doesn't stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmacaoni View Post
    Wait. Wait. The highlighted part.

I laughed because it almost says the character doesn't see itself as Black in its own environment whilst under other environments she knows that fact.
    I’m not sure what character you are referring to so I’ll ask when has Storm ever had that conversation with another black female in the X-men books? I’ll also leave this article here referring to Kim https://bglh-marketplace.com/2016/07...ip-hop-honors/

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I don't think it's a matter of choice-it's those stories don't seem to happen with her. Like we saw with Synch in Generation X.

In fact we didn't see it with Prodigy in New X-Men Academy either.

Take Static-only 2 times out of the 53 solo issues and 53 cartoon episodes did you see Static deal with race.

One time was with Richie's Dad in the cartoon.
    The other time was Static saving Jewish churches from a radical black bomber. For reference it was Static issues 5-7 by the late Robert Washington & John Paul Leon. Before Static slowly started from being really dark skinned to a lighter skin tone appearance. This arc is NOT in any trade.
    Static also dealt with LGBT issues in another not in trade arc-16-20 by Robert Washington & Ivan Veldez Jr.

Back to Storm-I think her issue is WHERE would there be time to deal with those issues? And what would be the REACTION?

I'll give you a recent example- in Black AF America's Sweetheart by Kwanza Osajyefo-they showed the lead helping black folks during Katrina. She got questioned for racial preferences-by her FATHER. She's adopted by a white politician. She was trying to help the folks in most danger and then got a lecture for STOPPING a rich white celebrity who was drunk driving on a crowd freeway.

Now what do you think would happen if STORM did that?
    What if Storm went to Chiraq used the winds to gather up all the illegal weapons & drugs in the hood and used lightning to burn all of them-who will have the biggest issue with her? Fox News? Black Lives Matter? Pro Blacks? Other X-Men? White Folks? or ALL of the above?

It will be ALL OF THE ABOVE. Because SOMEBODY is going to take issue with HER doing it. Not Frank Castle when he does it. HER.

Why? Because someone is going to look at all the known X-men and ask where are the BLACKS at?
    Someone will ask the question is that X-gene man made to the point it avoids blacks? Or are the main ones being killed are black mutants?

Now you have new enemy-the black community. Can you image what someone like KINGPIN could do with that? Or a black politician? Run on a platform that EVERYBODY would support in some form to the White House?

You could tackle so many issues-
    Storm dealing with race
    X-Men actually looking for black mutants and MAYBE open the conversation of why some folks tend to hide once they discover their mutants.
    A dig at a certain President
    A discussion of we can be racist to each other all the the time UNTIL something UNITES us together.

Too bad Marvel will never tell that story.
    My friend, you are a wealth of knowledge just waiting to be unleashed. I’m floored by your commentary. The part about Storm going into the inner city at taking all the guns and drugs is something I’d like to see. It’s crazy because her first solo started out in the vicinity. She was in a black community in the islands, but she didn’t tackle street crime or drug dens. So there’s that. All in all you are asking the major questions that one is faced with searching representation in the X-men while black. If Storm isn’t gonna talk about these issues in the X-men (not BP&C) books then who is? Who is left to have the conversation?

Stormcaster was so pathetic today!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post

lmfao I love it!!!!! back to the basics guggs!
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Idk what Guggs is doing cause
    Attachment 68376
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

I thought that hammer kept her awake? Why is she back to taking naps?

Those scenes were so dumb though. On one page she is charging towards the sentinel and the next she is flying away from it. Huh? She ends up getting hit in the back...why would she have her back to it? We know its a psychic construct,but she thought it was real; you'd think she'd actually attack the thing but she made this dramatic scene only to get taken out within 10 seconds
    Last edited by Havok83; 07-18-2018 at 09:23 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CookieOnTsunami View Post
    Idk what Guggs is doing cause
    Attachment 68376
    Those scans were Storm getting clobbered by a psychic attack from Rachel under the direction of Mesmero, LOL! Storm has zero mental defenses right now in the x-books to prop up the telepaths.

I suppose Guggenheim didn't get the memo where Storm's mental defenses defeated Bogan, a Xavier-level telepath, who had the power of a boosted Rachel added to his own power.

"Eliminate threat with Prejudice" throwing and American flag at a black women. That is funny(not really), but I laughed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    "Eliminate threat with Prejudice" throwing and American flag at a black women. That is funny(not really), but I laughed anyway.
    Oh, wow, I wasn’t the only one to notice? I laughed as well... http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/not-eve...-to-misogynoir

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    I'm still laughing, Is that a jab at "the patriot" or at america?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Oof. It's worse than I was expecting. Looks like the fans should stick to Red.