Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    As others have mentioned, it isn't quite her normal comic book look, especially with the nose-ring and other jewelry that would be a disadvantage in normal hand-to-hand combat.
    That's a pretty large leap all the way to "she's disguised as a street walker".

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Posted in the DC movie thread:

As costumes go, this rates a solid "meh" from me. I can understand ditching the fishnets, but Black Canary has always had a biker, trucker, or mechanic sensibility to her. The materials are simply too nice here. The flared pants also feels off—I think a solid pair of boots is important to her character. The top is way too small, and why is it yellow? The jacket ought to be short, not the full-length shown here.

The jewelry also feels very un-Dinah to me. She should never be afraid to get her hands dirty.
    I'm confused. Do women normally wear costumes or do they wear clothes?
    Is it normal for a woman to wear battle gear on a bright sunny day in Gotham City?

Are we sure it isn't "Dinah disguised as a street walker"?

And what's with those heels?
    Wow! Another black woman being called a "street walker". Jeezus!
    Anna Diop, you're not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    Yeah, I am assuming this is a "civilian" look, if you want to call it that, but it doesn't feel very Dinah to me either. I am also not very excited about the nose piercing either. :/ I find it a weird costume/character choice.
    None of the Birds really look like themselves to me, especially after that teaser.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Jackson Lanzing and Collin Kelly have tweeted an essay on the process leading up to Green Arrow's cancellation, and being forced to end their run before it could really begin

https://www.newsarama.com/43810-gree...50-finale.html

I'm kind of curious about what they meant by the ending the book because of the "larger universe." Are there plans for Ollie that necessitated ending the book?

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    That's a pretty large leap all the way to "she's disguised as a street walker".

LOL Wanda Sykes brilliant!
    Last edited by Güicho; 02-07-2019 at 12:51 PM.

And what's with those heels?
    Uh, Black Canary (Dinah) had been a Caucasian woman in the past (at least since she was first introduced in 1947). Did they cast her as an African-American for the movie?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Posted in the DC movie thread:

As costumes go, this rates a solid "meh" from me. I can understand ditching the fishnets, but Black Canary has always had a biker, trucker, or mechanic sensibility to her. The materials are simply too nice here. The flared pants also feels off—I think a solid pair of boots is important to her character. The top is way too small, and why is it yellow? The jacket ought to be short, not the full-length shown here.

The jewelry also feels very un-Dinah to me. She should never be afraid to get her hands dirty.
    I will be avoiding this at all costs!

Is it normal for a woman to wear battle gear on a bright sunny day in Gotham City?
    Well, Black Canary is one of the superheroes who can walk around in their working clothes and no-one will bat an eye. But even so, the clothes shown doesn't fit with how I view Black Canary's style and sensibilities, or what she has been shown wearing when not in her working clothes.

It *should* be!

I wouldn't walk out of my bedroom without riot gear on if I were in Gotham!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Man, I love Canary. Easily one of my favorite heroes in DC. And a big hell yeah to whoever it was who mentioned the DCYOU series! I loved that one too, and I wish DC would take the more familiar ground we're on right now, and try that rock band approach again. That was one of the most stupid obvious things to do with Dinah I don't get why no one had done it before. I sure as hell never thought of it!
    I miss that book so damn much. Sigh.

Yeah, there’s a super weird obsession with calling black women in nerd media prostitues and hookers. I wonder why. It starts with a ‘r,’ I think?

Anyway, it’s obviously civilian attire, and something Babs Tarr or Annie Wu would have easily drawn her in, and they’re definitely leaning hard into that take.
    Last edited by Kurisu; 02-07-2019 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    Anyway, it’s obviously civilian attire, and something Babs Tarr or Annie Wu would have easily drawn her in, and they’re definitely leaning hard into that take.
    I honestly don't think they would have. I agree with kjn that it doesn't really fit Dinah's casual style, even during the DCYou stuff.

Uh, Black Canary (Dinah) had been a Caucasian woman in the past (at least since she was first introduced in 1947). Did they cast her as an African-American for the movie?
    Yes the actress playing her is black.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Yes the actress playing her is black.
    Half African-American anyway. Her father is a Russian Jew whose family immigrated to the US.

Fantastic Member

I don't care about her being a singer (I thought that kinda made sense) I'm just really hoping that the depiction of hey is correct; sunny, sassy, compassionate, tactical leader, incomparable martial arts and her Canary Cry. From these pics we can tell none of that.
    As far as her look, she DOESN'T look like a prostitute, that's just ridiculous and insulting and the rest is just preference. Is it how I picture Dinah? No, but I think it's a cool look that I find acceptable.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

My only problem with the whole movie is they cast an actress or color as a point of diversification and cast a Caucasian actress as the Huntress which is a character of color. It just makes no sense at all.