Page 129 of 208 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133139179 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,935 of 3107

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Its more like, it was a bit boring and felt flat. There wasn't just enough "punch" in it. Not a bad movie, but 20 minutes shorter and a tad bit more action would have helped the movie.
    I felt the opposite, that there was fight after fight after fight after fight after fight after fight, most of them highly repetitive. The fight against Cheetah was obviously coming and totally gratuitous because virtually her whole appearance in the movie was gratuitous. She was just an afterthought, which was my biggest criticism.

DanMad: I didn't like it as much as the first one either. I just thought it was a decent movie.

Kirby: Different opinions. I thought Max Lord was quite interesting but it took quite some time for me to get it through my head that he was really the main villain.

spoilers:
    I was sure they were going to put WW into the situation the comics did where she had to kill him, which really destroyed the Post-Crisis WW and everything she was built up to be from the beginning and caused me to lose all interest in the rest of her Post-Crisis time. I was so glad she instead found a way to be Wonder Woman and convince someone of something that many people would say that person could never be convinced of. She got through to him and made him see a better way and that's Wonder Woman.
    end of spoilers

And, as I said, I'm not claiming the movie was not flawed in some ways and great in others. Barbara Minerva started out looking really promising and then was just wasted, just there for WW to have a big finale fight against a super powered opponent.

By the way, what was the meme everyone was bringing up when the movie first came out? I avoided threads about it at the time.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member

I watched Cruella and loved it.

I didn't know what to think about making this particular origin story but it turned out to be such a fun caper/heist movie and the soundtrack rules. I barely noticed it actually runs more than 2 hours. My favorite live Disney movie since... Maleficent, fittingly.

Astonishing Member

By the way, what was the meme everyone was bringing up when the movie first came out? I avoided threads about it at the time.

I would like to know, too.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

On HBO Max my wife and I over two evenings after getting the kids down watched...

Crazy Rich Asians

A really good, well acted take on a tale as old as...at least Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    On HBO Max my wife and I over two evenings after getting the kids down watched...

Crazy Rich Asians

A really good, well acted take on a tale as old as...at least Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.
    Saw this one a couple of months ago. Definitely worth seeing and, though it gets a little predictable, has some great performances and the Romeo and Juliet theme is not overplayed. Plus the actors are really among the best. I enjoyed every performance, especially Michelle Yeoh.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Watched last night:

The Longest Day
    Since yesterday was the 77th anniversary of the D-Day Invasion, I thought I'd watch this 1962 classic which featured an all star cast including the following (in alphabetical order): Eddie Albert, Paul Anka, Richard Burton, Red Buttons, Sean Connery, Fabian, Henry Fonda, Gert Frobe (Goldfinger), Curt Jurgens (The Spy Who Loved Me), Peter Lawford, Sal Mineo, Robert Mitchum, Rod Steiger, John Wayne and Stuart Whitman.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

New Mutants

Not my comic book New Mutant story. Fox made something different out of it, but kept the characters relatively intact.

All in all, I enjoyed it somehow. The horror elements were good and creepy enough. I just don't see it as an x-men movie. But that doesn't matter anymore, because Fox´s X-Men are over.

Got through ALL of The Gentleman on Saturday, a rarity. A third of Guy Ritchie movies has his implausible intertwining gangster narratives (think the TENENT hand gesture) and this was one of the better ones. I have no professional point of reference for Hugh Grant as I loathe romantic comedies but was interviewed by Maron during the filming and he's a funny guy and it comes through in this one. Hunam was good, Freakin' Colin Farrel was fantastic, he's a funny dude too, I enjoyed it. I don't know what the record is for the use of the C-word in a movie is but it's got to be at the top of the hill on that.

As far as where it stands among the others, I don't think anything will ever beat Snatch, it's my favorite, I know all the lines, I used to watch it regularly. Then maybe still Lock, Stock... which is a sentimental favorite and the first, then The Gentleman? RocknRolla is still last, it's kind of too cool for it's own good. It has it's moments but it's not one for a repeat watch. Although the joke with the painting showing back up at Thandiwe Newton's place and the guy sees it and the way the music dies kills me everytime. Actually McConaughey is just Mcconaughey in this and that kind of brings it down a click. I kinda wished someone else had played that part even though he did deliver a couple funny lines, I actually think I'd be willing to put this one below Snatch. Only thing is The Gentleman doesn't have that strong rapid 3rd act sequence like the others but it's different, which is good.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The Trial of the Chicago 7 I thought that I might not like it, but Sacha Baron Cohen and Joseph Gordon-Levitt won me over.
    Yea it was pretty good. Dude has quietly been super solid in everything.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

About Chicago 7, many older people know a lot of the details, we lived through it. The movie takes some liberties, but is largely faithful to the events. But I saw Sorkin talk about it and he spoke with Tom Hayden researching the movie before Hayden passed away.
    spoilers:
    The part about the phrase "If blood will flow" instead of saying "If OUR blood will flow" is a new revelation.
    end of spoilers
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Yah I wondered if that line about the blood flow was something new that came to light, and triggered the movie to be made. Just because it became such a big point during the trial.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Yah I wondered if that line about the blood flow was something new that came to light, and triggered the movie to be made. Just because it became such a big point during the trial.
    It didn't trigger the movie to be made. Sorkin was already writing it, and interviewed any remaining participants he could. It came out when he talked to Hayden.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It didn't trigger the movie to be made. Sorkin was already writing it, and interviewed any remaining participants he could. It came out when he talked to Hayden.
    Ah ok. I found the movie to be really well done, especially the snapshot in time that they managed to convey of the incident, the police, the courts and the politicians of the day. When people wonder about what the 1960s showed us about the institutions of society, this is one of the movies I could point to.

And relevant today.

Hitmans wife's bodyguard or whatever the title was. Was alot of fun. I love when silly movies are self-aware and just embrace it. A blast to watch