Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default J. Jonah Jameson Appreciation 2020

I wanted to make one for a while, but had to space between this and making two threads earlier so I wouldn't make too many threads in a short period of time.

And our favorite newspaper comic relief of a publisher deserves to be appreciated, he is a grumpy old dude with an attitude that makes him hard to love, but the more you know him the more you feel he is one of the best bosses you could ever work under.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post

I wanted to make one for a while, but had to space between this and making two threads earlier so I wouldn't make too many threads in a short period of time.

And our favorite newspaper comic relief of a publisher deserves to be appreciated, he is a grumpy old dude with an attitude that makes him hard to love, but the more you know him the more you feel he is one of the best bosses you could ever work under.
    Agreed. Also, I enjoyed the appearances he made in his son's series:

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Agreed. Also, I enjoyed the appearances he made in his son's series:

[img]http://images.wwcomics.com/images/large/CreL_33_DR.jpg[img]
    Ed Asner did such a fabulous delivery of Jonah Jameson's touching and dramatic moments I couldn't help but instinctively read the words in his voice.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE

BANNED

J.K. Simmons made for a great Jameson cast, he would've been a good match for Holland's Spidey.

The character may come across as a pure comic relief, but he had something going for him: he was the only one to notice that Superheroes didn't wear a full mask, back in the 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    J.K. Simmons made for a great Jameson cast, he would've been a good match for Holland's Spidey.

The character may come across as a pure comic relief, but he had something going for him: he was the only one to notice that Superheroes didn't wear a full mask, back in the 60's.
    Agreed. He also showed a lot of integrity during Frank Miller's run on Daredevil.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 01-23-2020 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors.

BANNED

As he did at the end of Stern's run, but as described by Ditko, he was someone willing to forego his moral values, in order to get back at Spidey. This duality was always present, but the better writers ignored one side, to present a more believable character and give him some depth.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Ed Asner did such a fabulous delivery of Jonah Jameson's touching and dramatic moments I couldn't help but instinctively read the words in his voice.
    Indeed, he was one of the best parts of the 90s animated series.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Agreed. He also showed a lot of integrity during Frank Miller's run on Daredevil.
    And in Operation: Zero Tolerance, where he refused to run Bastion's propaganda in The Daily Bugle, stating that regardless of his suspicions and distrust of clandestine superpowered groups like the X-Men, he could never support Operation: Zero Tolerance using "law and order" and "national security" as a smokescreen to violate the civil, constitutional, and human rights of American citizens. Mad respect there.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Final page of ASM #38:
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Final page of ASM #38:
    Yes, indeed, Jonah is even more of a pain in the neck when he's trying to help Spider-Man.

This got a good laugh out of me.

It's funny to think that this character is the one who should be the most grateful to Spider-Man, cause not only did he save his son on his first adventure with the willing aid of a military pilot, but Spidey also saved Jonah's life from the latter's mistakes, including the ones that were supposed to contain the threat Jonah constantly rants about.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE

This got a good laugh out of me.

It's funny to think that this character is the one who should be the most grateful to Spider-Man, cause not only did he save his son on his first adventure with the willing aid of a military pilot, but Spidey also saved Jonah's life from the latter's mistakes, including the ones that were supposed to contain the threat Jonah constantly rants about.
    Indeed. As Spider-Man himself said in an episode of the 90s animated series, "Talk about your dramatic irony."

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Indeed. As Spider-Man himself said in an episode of the 90s animated series, "Talk about your dramatic irony."
    This comment using a good line from one of my favorite episodes deserves thumbs up.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE

BANNED

This is the ultimate Jonah moment for me. I am also happy to say that I own the original issue of this comic.

Jameson Daydreamers.jpg

To me Jameson is a great character. A great reporter who is undone by his lapse in judgment, and who serves as the living incarnation of Peter's guilty conscience that there was a time when he was just as much of an attention seeking selfish a--hole indifferent to collateral damage as Jameson frequently disparages Peter to be.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    This is the ultimate Jonah moment for me. I am also happy to say that I own the original issue of this comic.

Jameson Daydreamers.jpg

To me Jameson is a great character. A great reporter who is undone by his lapse in judgment, and who serves as the living incarnation of Peter's guilty conscience that there was a time when he was just as much of an attention seeking selfish a--hole indifferent to collateral damage as Jameson frequently disparages Peter to be.
    I have the whole of Stern's run in floppies, he was the best. Also the first time I had the chance to buy comics close to the original edition (just some months worth of delay).

So, "the living incarnation of Peter's guilty conscience"? I never looked at it that way.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    I have the whole of Stern's run in floppies, he was the best.
    Not a single bad issue in his run. Not many about whom that can be said. Lee-Ditko certainly, no bad issues (well maybe that Looter one near the end).

Also the first time I had the chance to buy comics close to the original edition (just some months worth of delay).
    Well you bought it cheap then I guess. I shelled out a fair bit for this issue because it has now become a classic collector's item.

So, "the living incarnation of Peter's guilty conscience"? I never looked at it that way.
    It's purely subtext and obviously it depends on fans connecting the dots, since I don't think Stan Lee or Ditko were entirely conscious about this when they wrote and created this character.

But let's ask,
    -- What is the main purpose that Jonah serves in Spider-Man's story? The answer is that he makes the public disapprove of Spider-Man, and gives him bad publicity.
    -- Now the second question is, why is it important for Jonah or a character like him to do so, to turn the public against Spider-Man? To always have him defending himself, to always yearn to prove and vindicate himself? Why is it important? What is lost and gained if this element were not there?

Because from a plot perspective in AF#15, Peter Parker gets the lesson of "great power there must also come great responsibility" and he learns that he's not perfect or good and he learns the price paid for the vain pursuit of fame. He decides that he will set right and become a superhero. Then in TASM#1, the first issue of his flagship title, Jonah appears and launches into his crusade against Spider-Man. Basically Jonah is an external manifestation of Peter's internal guilt. Peter will never forgive himself about Uncle Ben and he doesn't think he's entirely a good guy, well here's someone on the outside who thinks that about Spider-Man. So basically neither Peter nor Spider-Man can take anything for granted, they have to always prove themselves and are held to a high standard. And Jonah is the guy who does that. Jonah in Peter's life is "Part of that power most misunderstood. Who always wills evil, but always does good".

And Chip Zdarsky's landmark "My Dinner with Jonah" kind of made this canon. In an additive retcon (i.e. a retcon that doesn't contradict anything previously established), he put Jonah in the audience when Spider-man made his debut on TV. So Jonah, like Mary Jane, knows Spider-Man before Spider-Man:

Zdarsky Spectacular #6 - Dinner with Jonah.jpg

So Jonah now has reason to believe that deep down Spider-Man was always a clown and showman out for publicity. Because that's the first thing Peter did when he got powers. Did Peter subject his blood to the scientific method and publish research papers? Nope. First thing he did was become a superhero Justin Bieber. Which I guess is better than becoming a school shooter or taking over the world. But it's not exactly someone you would think of as capable of heroism. You would think that guy's first instinct is for wealth and fame.