Page 117 of 212 FirstFirst ... 1767107113114115116117118119120121127167 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,755 of 3174

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    Wonderful, isn't it? Not just the pencilling: the inking and colouring are just right too.

Although I am starting to get suspicious about often how a man with superpowers on land, air, and sea ends up chained and at the mercy of fiendish, but beautiful women.
    As long as they remember the safe word it's all OK.

Wonderful, isn't it? Not just the pencilling: the inking and colouring are just right too.

Although I am starting to get suspicious about often how a man with superpowers on land, air, and sea ends up chained and at the mercy of fiendish, but beautiful women.
    Marie Severin and Green Lady Dorma are both Strong Gals ! I'm kinda interested so I can understand the prince-in-distress even if... well... let's say that I'm not sure to fully enjoy the caress of the sharp corners of the altar. My over-muscled shoulders are quite sensitive !

Subby sweats a lot on the cover by the way. I haven't noticed that detail before - too fascinated by the representation of the priestess I guess.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post

image.jpg
    Hmm. There's a few possibilities. Is this the face of a man who:

A) has forgotten the safe word and doesn't know how "light bondage" spiralled to "sacrificial altar and a pointy trident"
    B) is too damn macho to use the safe word, even though Dorma's plans for the pointy trident terrify him
    C) has genuinely "oops, I did it again" accidentally, completely innocently got into a "it's not what it looks like" situation
    D) is loving it Mistress. Bring on the pointy trident.

I'm thinking B or D, myself.
    Last edited by Sea Hound; 12-13-2015 at 01:37 AM.
    "Self has no time for this."

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Marie Severin and Green Lady Dorma are both Strong Gals ! I'm kinda interested so I can understand the prince-in-distress even if... well... let's say that I'm not sure to fully enjoy the caress of the sharp corners of the altar. My over-muscled shoulders are quite sensitive !

Subby sweats a lot on the cover by the way. I haven't noticed that detail before - too fascinated by the representation of the priestess I guess.
    Over muscled eh? ;-) Sorry, I'm waiting on Superman.
    Your posts go off in all sorts of unexpected directions Abe. Entertains me enormously.

Now that I look, those sharp corners really are digging into his shoulders. Ouchie.
    Last edited by Sea Hound; 12-13-2015 at 01:39 AM.
    "Self has no time for this."

Over muscled eh? ;-) Sorry, I'm waiting on Superman.
    Your posts go off in all sorts of unexpected directions Abe. Entertains me enormously.

Now that I look, those sharp corners really are digging into his shoulders. Ouchie.
    Sadly I'm still looking more like Peter Parker than Flash Thompson... But my shoulders wouldn't hurt the stone of the altar! Not anymore ! Having a metabolism able to burn absolutely everything is not a bad thing by the way, especially when you're a man slightly over 40... Even more when your appetite leads you to eat like several guys and enjoy it... My friends are starting to be jealous - I won't talk about their wifes, cause I'm a gentleman you know, so I learned how to keep certain things secret (...Oups !...Perhaps I should edit this part... Of course you've understood already that you shouldn't believe all I say... Maybe I'm not a gentleman and I don't know how to keep a secret ! ... Just kidding). So my super-power is useful, even more if I add that I'm a beer-lover...

About that last part I have made some researches last week to see if I could find, here in Paris, a few ones brewed.... in Perth ! I'm not joking at all this time ! It's very serious. I want to get some in order to drink it reading this thread and thus enjoy your posts even more, because they entertain me enormously too. And I insist : it's not a joke at all ! I'm very serious with beers, including the ones from Australia or New Zealand. With whisky too, and Perthshire in Scotland is a wonderful place - and Tasmania is nice too. Hard to find the ones from your area here... Too bad ! I'm not that much off-topic by the way, I'm talking about waters and Namor's full name is Namor McKenzie after all ! I quoted Perth in the Namor appreciation thread last week, in a post with a nice map of the seas... I guess that comics and posts and jokes - and beers maybe... - use to travel by the seas. The magic of Atlantis ! Rev is the High Priestess, it's needless to say it.

Back to the topic, really, the very catholic Marie Severin, former colorist for EC comics, had much fun doing this cover obviously !

(And I LOVE your avatar. And your CBR name. And you will have a friendship request.)
    Last edited by Abe; 12-13-2015 at 04:50 AM.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

365 Days with Namor, Day 325

No, Hulk! No!

I have no idea what Hulk is doing to poor prone Namor,
    but it certainly is NOT what Dr. Strange is telling him to do.

by Reverisco
    Last edited by Reviresco; 07-23-2016 at 11:41 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Wow ! The image I will post is less psychedelic than this one !

It would be off topic but the first issues of Dr Strange by Gene Colan (172 or something) are great. Aparo's Aquaman too - I've posted two covers earlier in the thread. Not to talk about Kirby during those years ( especially in some Thor stories). One of the most psychedelic issue I know is not about Namor, but I post the cover... by Marie Severin! (Inner art by Tom F. Sutton - aka 'TFS / Dementia / Grisly / Sean Todd' according to CBDB... Checking his works it seems a quite unusual choice for a Marvel Super-Hero story... And I'm not that sure that I want to learn more...)

Impressive Marie Severin ! The text is also interesting...
    Yep. Haven't we all felt the need to clutch our heads in pain and shout "My BRAIN!" ; p

That IS a psychedelic cover! I never really followed Captain Marvel ... maybe I should. Ditko gets the title of most trippy artist, from Dr. Strange, but there appears to have been plenty of acid .... errr inspiration to go around at the Bullpen.

Also, Gene Colan is great period. Vastly underrated artist. I don't think Aparo ever worked for Marvel, so I'm not as familiar with him.

There's plenty to love in that panel you posted, besides Marie Severin. I love how Namor's always hanging out with the wildlife when he's unencumbered by responsibility. I definitely need to photoshop that image of Namor face palming in pain. I'm going to to need it this week for sure.

Sunday is the SAVAGE SEVENTIES
    Day 326

Sub-Mariner #54
    by Alan Lee Weiss
    Cover Date: October 1972
    Last edited by Reviresco; 07-23-2016 at 11:41 PM.

The 15th issue of Captain Marvel is really crazy. Quite a one-shot - the only one by this artist. I read it as a little boy, and was really happy to put my hand on it, randomly looking into the boxes in a LCS. But when I saw the name of the cover artist it was more than the cherry on the cake ! The same day I found "Monsters on the prowl" #16 (1972), with two stories by Ditko and Kirby from the early 60's - still Atlas I think - but not collected in any MMW yet, and a new story of King Kull, written by Roy Thomas and penciled by the brother and the sister together ! John and Marie Severin !

I thought I was off topic, but checking if it was done before or after Roy Thomas Conan the Barbarian, it appears that Kull the Conqueror was created by Robert E. Howard in 1929. His real name : KULL OF ATLANTIS !!! The precursor (!) of Conan... Serendipity is back maybe...

In facts it's really back : first Kull of Atlantis story in :

I need to post the cover for Iron Maiden : a fan of the Phantom of the Opera. Yipee !

Back to comics and Namor: have you seen the few things I've posted in the Namor thread about Gene Colan and his formation years ? I guess it could interest you a bit ! I scanned I few pages of an old Sub-Mariner story...

Back to Namor in this thread : the text in the panel is really crazy : "LET US SEE THE MIGHTIEST MONARCH OF ALL CAVORTING WITH THE SWORDFISH... THE LAMPREY... THE FLARE-FINNED DOLPHIN..."

I miss the style of the good old days so much. And no silliness in this writing. Roy Thomas is the real disciple of Stan Lee... Knowing the guy and thinking about it I'm wondering .... there's an Atlas Era story untitled "Swordfish!". Now I got to check if there is also "Lamprey!" or "Flare-Finned Dolphin!". Or the last one is a parody of Stan's writing, with an alliteration and kind of a inner rhyme...

Oh ! About rhymes ! I found a great book yesterday. Pan Mcmillan (UK) published in their "Collector's Library" in 2015 Coleridge's "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner". A nice small pocket-book with a hard-cover, and the illustrations by Gustave Doré ! I was so happy to find it ! (with two books by Sun Ra, it was a great day... three poetry books in English ! Wow !). Of course it's the inspiration for Subby's name... Bill Everett was a poet...(http://www.panmacmillan.com/book/sam...ancientmariner)

Finally that post was not that bad... Good things happened writing it... Ok the Weird Tales cover is too big, and really weird, but with an aquatic vibe, no ?
    Last edited by Abe; 12-13-2015 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Sunday is the SAVAGE SEVENTIES
    Day 347

Sub-Mariner #54
    by Alan Lee Weiss
    Cover Date: October 1972
    I love it too !

It's in the Japanese trilogy... I really wonder if it's not an inspiration for the manga & anime One Piece... One of the last work by Bill Everett I think...

Checking the net I found this (Sir Everett) :

"I suppose I have always liked water. If anything started it, I suppose it was when I got interested in Admiral Byrd's expedition to the South Pole. I read a lot about that. The more I read, the more intrigued I became, so when the opportunity to create a character I naturally thought of water. Jack London's adventures at sea were influential too, I use to read a lot of sea stories."
    It's more interesting !
    Last edited by Abe; 12-13-2015 at 02:20 PM.

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Thanks for showing that old weird tales cover Abe. I love the old history of Robert E. Howard; truly a master.

It is hard for some comic people to realize that characters like Kull, Conan, and Tarzan were all pre-Superman.... If you read their stories you might even say they were the first super-heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    Thanks for showing that old weird tales cover Abe. I love the old history of Robert E. Howard; truly a master.

It is hard for some comic people to realize that characters like Kull, Conan, and Tarzan were all pre-Superman.... If you read their stories you might even say they were the first super-heroes.
    Some comic people don't know that ? Really ? I need to go back to these old stories... I'm not into fantasy anymore since I'm fourteen I guess... But it happened that I collected a few comics related to Tarzan and Conan very recently : this one, The Marvel Treasury Edition 4, a few DC's too : Tarzan 209 with the first appearances of Jane... and of Dejah Thoris in that era...and almost all the DC Weird Worlds with Dejah Thoris too... Suitable for kids! Not like the present one. I own also marvelous book published by IDW with the first strips with Tarzan. Tarzan is related to Namor of course, in many ways!..

Of course I have to add that you're always surprising me Mantis Girl, with your knowledge and your taste for the history of the comics, and now much more ! You're really a true connoisseur... Amazing Mantis Girl !

I hope that you are aware of the greatness of Little Nemo in Slumberland! No Superman/Hulk/The Thing/Conan/Kull/Tarzan-like big muscled heroes in it (I'm just kidding ! I was talking myself about Jane and Dejah...and I didn't mention my collection of comics with jungle girls...), but a true wonder ! I need to post some day a few pages related to Namor : underseas adventures and even something that makes me think about the Ice King !

EDIT : OMG !!! I was checking the content of the Weird Tales issue (http://archive.facetasm.com/en/catal.../102984/detail) and there is a story written by... Lois Lane !!! I can't believe it...
    Last edited by Abe; 12-13-2015 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Short night. Strange dreams. Weird tales ? I'm not sure, but I think that they implied that hilarious post!... Need more coffee now...

365 Days with Namor, Day 326

"Nor is your physique much better!"

Your equipment is sub-par and your physique even worse!
    Ouch!
    Last edited by Reviresco; 07-23-2016 at 11:39 PM.