Page 70 of 111 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1655

i'll get to the last issue tomorrow, but my grade is "king ****" or "A-"
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Wanted to ask my fellow Iron Man fans what are your overall thoughts and what would you grade Slott and Schitti’s run?
    Strong start, pretty upbeat but tailed off later on before picking up with the Iron Man 2020 arc.

The 'Tony is a copy" theme really irritated me. Really tired of the "Tony is adopted, Tony is a copy" angles.

iMan 42s

Wanted to ask my fellow Iron Man fans what are your overall thoughts and what would you grade Slott and Schitti’s run?
    Started strong but trailed off with an overall lack of direction. I know many would say that it's built up over the run but you really only need Bendis for context to 2020 so more or less Slott's run is irrelevant in that regard outside of being up to date on Iron man. The better part of the run is overall superfluous to what it was getting at so if I had to suggest anything it'd just be 2020. That all being said for what was supposed to be Iron man's big 2020 story it's about as good (and seemingly as well-received) as an event comic, which for the most part it is or at least to some degree a crossover. For 2020 we really could've gotten better. Not to say that you can't find enjoyment in it but 2020 isn't as strong as it should be and I'll be damned if I have to read a tie-in.

My overall issue though is that Slott's sub-text needs a bit more time to cook from the ICE reference to the symbolism of slavery and the immigration debate as much as gender identity. It's all here but it doesn't really make a cohesive "stew" if that makes sense. Everybody over the run for the most part has something to do but the timing for this seems more coincidental if anything and while Slott could've wanted to tell this story outside of politics it needed a bit more time to come together and connect everything. More that the bullet point has been hit and they move on.
    I also can't say going for the A.I stuff and Tony's mom was a good idea either and Iron man writers need to drop that like it's molten Iron.

I'd give it a B+ or minus depending on how I'm feeling as I do feel Slott ultimately gets the character and had an idea he wanted to pursue, but the overall book needed a bit more time to come together which you'd think the delays would've helped with. I'm just at this point willing to move onto Cantwell and will overall say Slott wasn't bad but could've been a better run.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Incredible Member

Strong, promising start that made me feel this was the next best thing. This feeling evaporated real quick and to be honest, I stopped actively reading it after the 4/5th issue.

The choice of stories - "am I man or AI?"; AI rights; robot vs human etcetera were really not my cup of tea and guess contributed to my dislike/non-interest.

I prefer more grounded stories, which I know is a little ironic cos we're talking about a guy who flies round in a high-tech war suit and comic books in general. I'm sure you get me though.

With all that said and the end of the 2020 series - 3 outta 4 aint bad. Just waiting for the "Breaking News". Trying (woefully) to avoid spoilers...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    Strong, promising start that made me feel this was the next best thing. This feeling evaporated real quick and to be honest, I stopped actively reading it after the 4/5th issue.

The choice of stories - "am I man or AI?"; AI rights; robot vs human etcetera were really not my cup of tea and guess contributed to my dislike/non-interest.

I prefer more grounded stories, which I know is a little ironic cos we're talking about a guy who flies round in a high-tech war suit and comic books in general. I'm sure you get me though.

With all that said and the end of the 2020 series - 3 outta 4 aint bad. Just waiting for the "Breaking News". Trying (woefully) to avoid spoilers...
    I agree with all this.

The way the themes were explored during Slott's run was very uninteresting and quite dull.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post

I think the story would have been better if it wasn't Tony who was questioning his own humanity while fighting for A.I. rights.

We're still trying to erase the whole adoption angle from our minds and then they not only question his parentage but soon follow with him doubting if he's the real Tony Stark.

"We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

I enjoyed Slott's and Schitti’s run. I really did but to me my major gripe with it is that the "Am I human or an AI" dragged on way too long. I thought he had written Amanda off which made me beyond glad, but her brought her back to get her DNA to put back into Tony. Which just drove me. overall I gave it a B+ for art and a C for writing.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 08-27-2020 at 01:59 PM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

I kinda liked the beginning of Slott's run. It was fun, Valerio Schiti's work was truly amazing and I LOVED every armor he (re)created. And ... I have to admit ... I have a soft spot for the Wasp/Iron Man relationship ... That being said, everything related to the "I'm not a Stark/I have a half-brother/My real mom was a SHIELD agent and famous singer/My real father was an agent of Hydra" RetCons easily kills my interest in the current Iron Man stories.

It's been 8 years now, and I'm still reading again and again Ellis and Fraction runs, I didn't even try Bendis (except for his Infamous Iron Man, which I really like) after Gillen's run.

I really hope the new ongoing by Cantwell and Cafu will bring me back into the Iron Man universe. Everything I read sounds good and the art is incredible. I don't like Alex Ross """redesign""", but I hope that, at some point, Cafu will be allowed to show his own take on the armor. I think every main artist on an Iron Man book should have the right to add something new to the character.

Oh and by the way, a big thank you to everyone sharing opinions, art and stuff on this topic, it's a real pleasure to read and I really appreciate the good vibes here !

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    I kinda liked the beginning of Slott's run. It was fun, Valerio Schiti's work was truly amazing and I LOVED every armor he (re)created. And ... I have to admit ... I have a soft spot for the Wasp/Iron Man relationship ... That being said, everything related to the "I'm not a Stark/I have a half-brother/My real mom was a SHIELD agent and famous singer/My real father was an agent of Hydra" RetCons easily kills my interest in the current Iron Man stories.

It's been 8 years now, and I'm still reading again and again Ellis and Fraction runs, I didn't even try Bendis (except for his Infamous Iron Man, which I really like) after Gillen's run.

I really hope the new ongoing by Cantwell and Cafu will bring me back into the Iron Man universe. Everything I read sounds good and the art is incredible. I don't like Alex Ross """redesign""", but I hope that, at some point, Cafu will be allowed to show his own take on the armor. I think every main artist on an Iron Man book should have the right to add something new to the character.

Oh and by the way, a big thank you to everyone sharing opinions, art and stuff on this topic, it's a real pleasure to read and I really appreciate the good vibes here !
    Your welcome. Also drop by more. Always love hearing from other Iron Man fans. I’m always retreading Ellis, the Knauf’s and Fractions runs. To be honest I’m psyched for this upcoming run. I just have a good feeling about what Cantwell and CAFU’s run.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 08-27-2020 at 02:10 PM.

I thought the last issue was really good. Still don’t like the adopted Tony thing. Looking forward to a more classic armor. Tony will stay on my regular pull list.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    I thought the last issue was really good. Still don’t like the adopted Tony thing. Looking forward to a more classic armor. Tony will stay on my regular pull list.
    Very glad to hear that Iron Man is staying on your pull list. You come by and share your opinions on Tony Stark more. Always willing to here different and new ones.

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

Interesting !

I know the whole relationship between Tony and Peter is quite controversial in the MCU, but it reminds me what Bendis was building with the characters in Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #150-154.

I really miss Ultimate Tony and Ultimate Peter, their relationship had so much potential.
    Last edited by Spider-Ham; 08-27-2020 at 06:23 PM.

BANNED

I enjoy it for the most of part. I like the idea of machine's revolution and the Black Mirror's technohorror influence in the story. Not to mention, Dan Slott really understand Tony Stark and his cast's personality. Now, the problem is not in the story and character, but rather in the execution. This is my gripe his Iron Man run and with Spider-Man's worldwide that he doesn't go crazy enough. He already tackled the good idea, but he didn't do sci-fi thing crazy enough that the story start to stale and become a bit boring. The AI or human idea also not really landing that well.

Iron Man 2020 is really good and if not because of COVID-19's delay then it will blow, but because of delay it hurts the story.

Overall I give it solid B+ or B for both of them. Valerio give his best in art and it really show here in weird surreal techno art of this comic, so I give the art A and the story writing B or B-. But the fun thing for me as a toku fans is that I can now compare it with Zero-One that tackle the same premise. For people who love Slott's idea and wanted for more anime and manga influence in it, I reccommend you to watch Kamen Rider Zero-One. It's really good and I can't reccommend enough.