Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Do you know of any other creators that do book-keeping on sales?
    I imagine all of them to some extent. There are certain sales thresholds, that when met, will garner the creators more money.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Winslow View Post
    I imagine all of them to some extent. There are certain sales thresholds, that when met, will garner the creators more money.
    i've seen most from PAD to defalco discuss sales in posts and blogs and interviews, so while it's not uncommon, i think slott's experience may still be quite singular.

the post OMD atmosphere has been scrutinised and lambasted to the nth degree, where the more fanatical detractors are so invested in hurting the opposition, that they are happy to fabricate or cherry pick evidence to support their causes. it's pretty much flat earth society.

i wouldn't be surprised if slott tries to unpack or debunk figures more than most, because it seems to be a major talking point recycled ad nauseam amongst his readership.
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    i've seen most from PAD to defalco discuss sales in posts and blogs and interviews, so while it's not uncommon, i think slott's experience may still be quite singular.

the post OMD atmosphere has been scrutinised and lambasted to the nth degree, where the more fanatical detractors are so invested in hurting the opposition, that they are happy to fabricate or cherry pick evidence to support their causes. it's pretty much flat earth society.

i wouldn't be surprised if slott tries to unpack or debunk figures more than most, because it seems to be a major talking point recycled ad nauseam amongst his readership.
    Oh, this is definitely a singular experience, I agree. The nature of OMD and it’s impact have made this a conversation some feel validates or vindicates.

References to a specific poster on another message board have been deleted. It's increasingly off-topic, and I don't see any point to dragging this board into another board's drama.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I was recently told by a comic book insider who prefers to remain nameless that "Amazing Spider-Man lost half its average monthly sales numbers post-OMD and that audience has never returned. Other than during an occasional big event, Amazing never comes close to its old sales numbers." Does anyone know if there any way to find out if this statement is true?
    I'm a bit curious about the context here. Were you told this in a one on one conversation with the comic book insider?

Is the insider a critic, a retailer, a former Marvel employee, what?

The guy seems to be mistaken on cause and effect, as well as the facts, but I'm curious about his/ her background.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I'm a bit curious about the context here. Were you told this in a one on one conversation with the comic book insider?

Is the insider a critic, a retailer, a former Marvel employee, what?

The guy seems to be mistaken on cause and effect, as well as the facts, but I'm curious about his/ her background.
    It was a one on one conversation.

The person is a former Marvel Employee.

My day job is actually in Counter-Terrorism. My interest in comic books is well known around the office so a mutual friend knew the insider and introduced me. The insider and I talked about the Batman #50 controversy with King and the Clone Saga (1990s') debacle, among other topics. During our conversation, the insider brought up the alleged OMD factoid.

As an interesting footnote. I came away from our conversation with the distinct impression the inside detests Joe Quesada. Which I feel could color the insider's view of things.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member

The entire comic market has declined over the same time period in terms of audience. How do you single Spider-man out from that?

Quote Originally Posted by DT Winslow View Post
    Oh, this is definitely a singular experience, I agree. The nature of OMD and it’s impact have made this a conversation some feel validates or vindicates.
    i'm not even talking about this board necessarily, i was just making an observation about the current climate in general
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    The entire comic market has declined over the same time period in terms of audience. How do you single Spider-man out from that?
    good question, i suspect both marvel and dc are using different metrics and comparisons to measure the success of their titles to what some readers seem to be.
    troo fan or death

good question, i suspect both marvel and dc are using different metrics and comparisons to measure the success of their titles to what some readers seem to be.
    Yeah, for starters, we readers only have the distribution numbers; Marvel, DC, and the rest have everything.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Yeah, for starters, we readers only have the distribution numbers; Marvel, DC, and the rest have everything.
    yup, adding to that...we tend to compare or judge it by standards that make sense to us: eg "compared to batman" or "compared to pre OMD" or "compared to the number of push ups granma can do"

i assume the big 2 have their own specific targets.

as an example, the tv station i used to work for consistently lost ratings in almost every time-nnslot. so to anyone reading the numbers in the news, we were on the verge of shutting down. the reality was we won our targeted demographic in each timeslot (ie: youth). which was what our advertisers were most interested in...so the channel raked in the cash. the e.ps were very happy with the numbers

what i'm suggesting is that even if we the readers have all the sales and distro data...we might not fully understand the race itself enough to know where marvel is placing.
    Last edited by boots; 07-08-2018 at 11:39 PM.
    troo fan or death

yup, adding to that...we tend to compare or judge it by standards that make sense to us: eg "compared to batman" or "compared to pre OMD" or "compared to the number of push ups granma can do"

i assume the big 2 have their own specific targets.

as an example, the tv station i used to work for consistently lost ratings in almost every time-nnslot. so to anyone reading the numbers in the news, we were on the verge of shutting down. the reality was we won our targeted demographic in each timeslot (ie: youth). which was what our advertisers were most interested in...so the channel raked in the cash. the e.ps were very happy with the numbers

what i'm suggesting is that even if we the readers have all the sales and distro data...we might not fully understand the race itself enough to know where marvel is placing.
    I think another perfect example to that is Unstoppable Wasp. The issues didn't sell that well last year and was cancelled after only 8 issues, but then the trades sold great, so now it's coming back as a direct continuation with the same creative team. And I know alot of the average posters were baffled why they would bring it back, just looking at the sales data we have from Comichron, when its pretty clear there is much more to that than we know.

That's why I wouldn't be surprised if Spider-Man/Deadpool does last longer, because the book sells very well in trades, so they could want to keep that going, even if the status quo changes for both characters kind of make it hard to.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I think another perfect example to that is Unstoppable Wasp. The issues didn't sell that well last year and was cancelled after only 8 issues, but then the trades sold great, so now it's coming back as a direct continuation with the same creative team. And I know alot of the average posters were baffled why they would bring it back, just looking at the sales data we have from Comichron, when its pretty clear there is much more to that than we know.

That's why I wouldn't be surprised if Spider-Man/Deadpool does last longer, because the book sells very well in trades, so they could want to keep that going, even if the status quo changes for both characters kind of make it hard to.

yeah, i plain forgot about other revenues. it's not that different to how a film may have a lukewarm reception n the u.s but take a respectable worldwide box office, or recoup costs on dvd/home media. stone's alexander is an example of both

thanks for that info on unstoppable wasp, i had no idea.
    troo fan or death