Default what is your favorite Superwoman?

Some versions of Kara Zor-El use the name, the CSA has had a member who used this name for a long time. But those are alt-u characters. In the main universe there's now been 4 to use the name... Karsta Wor-Ul, Lana Lang, Lois Lane, and Lucy Lane.

My fave is Lucy... mainly because it made for an interesting antagonist. also the costume is a neat twist on the "Super" theme.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'd go with Kristin Wells for sure, descendant of Jimmy Olsen. I can't help but suspect that she inspired that Lucy costume. Her version I didn't care for really, but I think she's just a cool person.

Lois for me personally.

You mean the CSA one or the regular one?

I think my favorite "Superwoman" is the Crime Syndicate one, now that marhawkman mentions it. Superwoman has never quite managed to be one of those aspects of the Superman mythos that everyone agrees has a place at the table, or at least that's how it feels to me. Lois is better off just being Lois Lane, and I feel the same way about Lana, despite liking what I've read about her "Superwoman" series. Karsta never struck me as that cool, and while I like Kristen Wells, and I think the fact she was only ever used in a handful of Elliot Maggin stories is kind of a shame, I also think the very fact she hasn't been used more might indicate something of a lack of staying power. Plus, while Kristen herself is really fun, the future she comes from is so freaking boring compared to just about every other DC alternate future from Kamandi to OMAC to the Legion to even the Atomic Knights.

In the Crime Syndicate though, the "Superwoman" name's had a solid home for over fifty years. I think my favorite variant on that Superwoman in particular is the one from the "Crisis on Two Earths" movie, where she's an evil Captain Marvel. That concept has legs, more legs I think than the Morrison concept of Superwoman as an evil Lois, for example.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I think Kristen never gets used because like you said, Superwoman doesn't quite sit at the table with the rest of them as a concept. So she's an extremely minor character in kind of a knock-off superhero identity, but she comes with her own corner of the future, her own antagonist, and a relationship with Superman/personality that doesn't insist upon her having more of a role than whatever some creative person would just want to try.

Oh yeah, forgot one....

Gender swapped Earth (#11) has a Superwoman who's literally a female version of Superman. Although her first name is Laurel for some reason. One interesting side note is that when the main universe Batman saw his counterpart, he thought she was Huntress. So... who knows what the name difference means?

One reason a "Superwoman" hasn't really stuck around is the "Super-Family" constantly being in flux.

I kind of liked Lana Lang as the last voice of the New52 fan during the Rebirth era, with flashbacks to New52 Superman and constant complaints about everyone else forgetting him. The book itself I think took some cues from the New52 style and substance. Even the Lois Lane in the book was the New52 Lois. In the end, retroactively, they said Lana had the essence of the New52 Superman or Superman Red within her, and then it went to rescue Rebirth Lois and Jon from Mxy, and eventually merge with Rebirth Superman or Superman Blue.

There was an issue where New52 Superman is leaving that has a very meta discussion about her continuity being overwritten and continuities being overwritten in general. At one point, she asks Superman why everything has to revolve around Clark and Lois and everyone else is just a bit character that has to be reconfigured to fit in with what they are doing.

The superhero who gets panic attacks thing was also an interesting angle.

I was kind of surprised to like it, because I am not necessarily a huge fan of redneck country characters or anything, but I guess it just goes to show that if you get the right writers and editorial direction, you can make almost anything work, and that was especially true for me at a time when the rest of the Superman-related books had gone off in a direction I didn't care for. Someone told me to give Superwoman a chance, and I was glad I did.

Of course, it seemed to go downhill as soon as the timeline got rewritten and Lana lost her memories of the New52 Superman, and I lost interest. But for a while, it was pretty good.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 07-11-2018 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    The superhero who gets panic attacks thing was also an interesting angle.
    Yeah, while it's fine and all for heroes to act like they are in control of the situation, it doesn't always make sense in-universe. It's rather refreshing to see characters scramble to figure out what to do in a crisis.

I have always loved Lana as a character, but she wasn't my favorite Superwoman. I felt like her run got undermined by the Rebirth changes too soon after just starting, and didn't recover until the end (when it was too late).

I'd say Lucy is my favorite Superwoman because she was different enough from the rest of the Super-family to be unique, and also made a great nemesis for Supergirl.

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    I have always loved Lana as a character, but she wasn't my favorite Superwoman. I felt like her run got undermined by the Rebirth changes too soon after just starting, and didn't recover until the end (when it was too late).

I'd say Lucy is my favorite Superwoman because she was different enough from the rest of the Super-family to be unique, and also made a great nemesis for Supergirl.
    One thing that didn't get explored that I wanted to see? Mirabai claimed to have infused Lucy with the powers of MULTIPLE alien races. In one scene she fried someone with a LIGHTNING BOLT. What races did Mirabai use?