Page 30 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Then Felicia loses her appeal as the girl that mother doesn't approve of.
    Well, she'd probably still prefer Mary Jane anyways .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, she'd probably still prefer Mary Jane anyways .
    Then Mother doesn't approve of Peter/Felicia.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Haha, your actually not alone. One of my first issues of Amazing was a back issue I picked up of the Spider Slayer arc with Electro on the cover. In the story MJ is with Peter, Flash and Felicia. When Peter runs off to be Spider-man, MJ lights up a cigarette and some guy says “excuse me ma’m this is designated a non smoking area, and MJ replies “sorry but I need this more than you don’t”.

I was young and grew up with the message “smoking is bad” and I remember being taken off guard thinking “Spider-Man’s wife is bad” and it intrigued me about her and I wanted to know more about her and if Peter knew and was ok with it or not.

I think the juxtaposition of having your super hero / Marvel mascot / Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man with a wife that is flawed like that and had some negative qualities was definitely interesting.
    Yeah, and it was closely tied to her stress and anxiety that came from Peter being Spider-Man. It was a pretty neat way to bring to life the struggles MJ had being Peter’s girlfriend.

And that’s ultimately one of the cool things about MJ’s character is that it’s a strong hero/non-hero relationship with its hurdles. Which is why I hate the idea of MJ having powers. Bleh.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Yeah, and it was closely tied to her stress and anxiety that came from Peter being Spider-Man. It was a pretty neat way to bring to life the struggles MJ had being Peter’s girlfriend.

And that’s ultimately one of the cool things about MJ’s character is that it’s a strong hero/non-hero relationship with its hurdles. Which is why I hate the idea of MJ having powers. Bleh.
    Yeah that’s a good point... it’s not that she’s a bad person. She just responds to the pressures of life in imperfect ways, as does Peter from time to time.

Then Mother doesn't approve of Peter/Felicia.
    Well, on paper MJ isn't the kind of girl your bring him to home either, at least if we're talking when she first met Peter .

Well, on paper MJ isn't the kind of girl your bring him to home either, at least if we're talking when she first met Peter .
    Aunt May and MJ have this weird, almost symboitic relationship. But this isn't really the place for that discussion.

All that matters for this discussion is Aunt May doesn't like Felicia. And that's a big part of Felicia's appeal. Why would you even think changing that is a good idea?

Mighty Member

unless it's Peter's Aunt May

well.....May was trying to set up Peter for years, but he kept avoiding her until he wasn't unable to
    It was his old aunt trying to set her up with her next door neighborhood friend Anna Watson niece
    as far as Peter was concerned, he thought maybe she was ugly and boring even though he was told that she was a nice personality
    it turned out that Mary Jane was drop dead gorgeous and fun
    but her flaky party girl persona turned off Peter and he fell in love with Gwen instead
    Last edited by Starrius; 07-25-2019 at 12:44 PM.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Aunt May and MJ have this weird, almost symboitic relationship. But this isn't really the place for that discussion.

All that matters for this discussion is Aunt May doesn't like Felicia. And that's a big part of Felicia's appeal. Why would you even think changing that is a good idea?
    To be honest, when people think of Felicia's appeal, I don't think Aunt May comes up that much.

(Aunt May likes unconventional women ).

To be honest, when people think of Felicia's appeal, I don't think Aunt May comes up that much.

In Peter David's Symbiote Spider-Man Aunt May and Felicia spoke and got along, I think—said she liked Felicia. Felicia even gave Aunt May a sweet kiss

People would rather Marvel retired the Aunt May character, but let's be honest, that's never going to happen. (Or if it does, it will be undone as it was last time.)

Aunt May is too intrinsic to Spider-Man and his world.

I'm honestly not sure why you're trying to argue that Aunt May should love Felicia. The entire appeal of Peter/Felicia is that Felicia is bad for Peter, and that it isn't the kind of relationship that Aunt May would approve of.

Ultimate Member

I think that May would learn to love Felicia if they spent enough time together, and Felicia's appeal is not just because May didn't like her...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I think that May would learn to love Felicia if they spent enough time together, and Felicia's appeal is not just because May didn't like her...
    I can see why you would want May to like Felicia.

Gwen yelled at May, and look what happened to her.

And then, less than a year later, Norman throws Gwen off a bridge. Coincidence?

I think another big thing regarding Peter/Felicia you have to consider is what we know about the characters versus what they actually know between each other. Like, we know how deep the feelings Felicia has for Peter are thanks to her solo appearances and inner monologues, but Peter himself doesn't really realize it.

There's that moment in the Black Cat Hunted issue where in the flashback Peter gives her the drone, but since its in a ring case for a split second she thinks that's what he's giving her so reacts angrily, with Peter even replying how that's not something she would like anyway if it was it.

That's ultimately the thing that really pushes them away (and what did so in the first place), Felicia's inability to be completely honest regarding her feelings, so it'll take her having to face those personal issues to make a long lasting relationship really work.

Ultimate Member

Which could happen if a writer put the time and effort into developing Felicia some more...

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I think another big thing regarding Peter/Felicia you have to consider is what we know about the characters versus what they actually know between each other. Like, we know how deep the feelings Felicia has for Peter are thanks to her solo appearances and inner monologues, but Peter himself doesn't really realize it.

There's that moment in the Black Cat Hunted issue where in the flashback Peter gives her the drone, but since its in a ring case for a split second she thinks that's what he's giving her so reacts angrily, with Peter even replying how that's not something she would like anyway if it was it.

That's ultimately the thing that really pushes them away (and what did so in the first place), Felicia's inability to be completely honest regarding her feelings, so it'll take her having to face those personal issues to make a long lasting relationship really work.
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Which could happen if a writer put the time and effort into developing Felicia some more...
    Yeah, but that's also a really compelling part of their relationship. Felicia struggling to be honest with Peter and herself is always a fun read.