View Poll Results: Who would be Wonder Woman's version of Catwoman?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ares

3 11.11%
  • Doctor Psycho (ew)

0 0%
  • Angle Man

13 48.15%
  • Deimos and/or Phobos

0 0%
  • White Magician

1 3.70%
  • Egg Fu

2 7.41%
  • Aegeus

1 3.70%
  • Mike Bailey

0 0%
  • Mouse Man

0 0%
  • Other

7 25.93%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman's Catwoman

WonderScott's post in the Arch-Nemesis thread got me thinking... if DC decided to give Wonder Woman a "reverse" femme fatale in the vein of Catwoman, Black Cat, Elektra, Diamondback, etc., who would you like to see given the role?

This role often falls in comics about male protagonists who typically begin romances with these female "villains" (usually used loosely; they're often anti-heroes and often become straight-up heroes themselves). But Wonder Woman hasn't really had any romances with her male (or female, but this thread is primarily looking at her male rogues) adversaries.

Who would be best suited as a "homme fatale" for Wonder Woman?

(Obviously this thread is just for fun; we all know Diana's true love is Steve. )

I personally really dug the blondage babe Ares from Rucka's first run. He was seductive and manipulative instead of the straight-forward bruiser we usually see him as. It would've been interesting at the very least to see some sort of spark between him and Diana when Steve wasn't in the picture post-Crisis.

Technically Catwoman was netural. She would be good and help Batman or Steal since she is a cat thief.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Technically Catwoman was netural. She would be good and help Batman or Steal since she is a cat thief.
    Did... Did you read my post?

Jimenez did work with Angle Man, but positioned him more in opposition to Donna Troy, but he's a suave thief. Does that suit your thesis?

I would think maybe someone like Black Adam, Ultraman or even Zod could fit the bill.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I voted Angle Man. They even did something similar with him back in the day. Play up his suave side and everything else just fits. He doesn't need to be a killer or anything that would make him irredeemable. He's just a thief.

Another odd choice could be Ares if they tone down his villainous side. I've been toying with the idea that Ares works better as more of a foil to Diana, rather than a straight up villain. I'm starting to subscribe to the idea that fighting the God of War with violence only makes him stronger, so the conflict between him and Diana should be more philosophical in nature. (Think Perez's run.)
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

ares 1066492-ares_001.jpg

ares 5822352-aresrebirth.jpg

Ares is such a hunk I had to vote for him, plus he and Diana do have something bordering on sexual tension.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I voted Angle Man. They even did something similar with him back in the day. Play up his suave side and everything else just fits. He doesn't need to be a killer or anything that would make him irredeemable. He's just a thief.

Another odd choice could be Ares if they tone down his villainous side. I've been toying with the idea that Ares works better as more of a foil to Diana, rather than a straight up villain. I'm starting to subscribe to the idea that fighting the God of War with violence only makes him stronger, so the conflict between him and Diana should be more philosophical in nature. (Think Perez's run.)
    It even plays into his theme of always having an angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Did... Did you read my post?
    Sorry my Iphone makes it hard to see everything at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    But Wonder Woman hasn't really had any romances with her male (or female, but this thread is primarily looking at her male rogues) adversaries.
    Why though? I actually loved what Rucka did with Cheetah in Rebirth by showing how Diana and BAM were close, with Barbara having feelings for Diana. She can be her archnemesis AND her Catwoman. Kind of like an Adora/Catra relationship from Netflix's She-Ra and the Princesses of Power series.

I can’t feel Ares. Since he is about the dangerous side of war. Cheetah since she does do good things for her own gains.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I can’t feel Ares. Since he is about the dangerous side of war. Cheetah since she does do good things for her own gains.
    Same. Also, I'm tired of the "Diana being tempted by the dark side of violence" theme so not looking forward to an Ares flirtation.

OTOH, for Cheetah, the equation is flipped on its head, with her being the one tempted by Diana to join the good side, but her tragedy being she keeps holding out because she is broken inside. Diana never giving up on her also ties in perfectly to her being a representation of "Love". Offering love to her archnemesis to help her convert works well for her dynamic with her own "Catwoman" (in a way that's more hard-hitting as while there is actual hope for Selina/Bruce, not so much for Barbara/Diana as Barbara is far more toxic than Selina).

For some reason I feel like it's Circe even though there's never really been a romantic context to her and Diana's relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Jimenez did work with Angle Man, but positioned him more in opposition to Donna Troy, but he's a suave thief. Does that suit your thesis?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Jimenez's Angle Man is another great choice. He wasn't straight-up evil, and was suave and sexy in a way that could appeal to female (and anyone else attracted to men) readers the way that the "femme fatales" appeal to straight male readers.

The complexity of Wonder Woman makes me think this needs to be an all-new character rather than an existing one, but that may be because I already have clear choices for how to portray Ares, Cheetah, Angle Man, Circe, etc. in my own creative development of the Wonder mythos. (Commentators here make some excellent points though, so I may have to reconsider that.)

I’ve kept Angle Man as an adversary of Diana and Donna, but with Angelo and Donna also having a soft spot for one another as Jimenez portrayed. I really enjoyed that and think it broadens the Wonder mythos and complicates it. As in Angelo may at some point cause conflict between Diana and Donna, and among other Wonder villains, depending how you develop his and Donna’s characters.

My gut says it needs to be a new character, that has a similar character complexity to Diana as well as character facets that contrast with Steve, but still make them desirable by Diana.

In the post Nyssane mentioned I commented in about archnemeses, I threw out that Superman had three, Lex, Brainiac, & Darkseid, and Diana has four, Cheetah, Ares, Circe, & Doctor Psycho, in my opinion. From another angle, Superman could also have four “adversaries” if you count Lois Lane trying to sort out Superman’s identity over the years and how those two characters explored relationship and romantic and quasi-heteronormative dynamics over the years.

If someone can capture the complexity of Diana, her POV, and her thematic place in the world in a new way, or from a new angle, as an adversary with romantic potential, they’ll have struck Amazonium in terms an archetype that can endlessly play with classical themes, tropes, and the human condition.

I’ve been diving into trying to create this character in my Wonder Woman Series Bible Thingee - it’s a fun and difficult challenge, but I keep hoping for my “Harley Quinn”-style character creation inspiration.