Page 27 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    spoilers:
    I think Harry actually conditioned those Sarah and Gabriels to believe they were who they said they were, while trying to perfect the process before it could house his consciousness.
    end of spoilers
    It's a real shame that Harry didn't ask anyone for help - Mr Sinister, the Jackal, Otto, any number of mutant telepaths, and Lindsay Lohan all know how to affect consciousness transfers or perfect cloning.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    It's a real shame that Harry didn't ask anyone for help - Mr Sinister, the Jackal, Otto, any number of mutant telepaths, and Lindsay Lohan all know how to affect consciousness transfers or perfect cloning.
    LOL

Not sure any of them want to work with an Osborn

Sinister might want to crack the secret of their deathless hair, though

Mighty Member

My comic store got Delayed whith Marvel.But they had Dc comics. Does Amazing spider-man74 have backups

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    My comic store got Delayed whith Marvel.But they had Dc comics. Does Amazing spider-man74 have backups
    Yes it does

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    Just get it on Comixology or the Marvel app.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Well, if OMIT is canon, he's not wrong according to Quesada's take on MJ. She didn't want children outside of marriage. She's never changed her mind on that in story.

Although these issues show that OMIT's take on the deal is wrong (OMIT implied the deal never happened). However, Mephisto seems fully aware of the deal and so does Peter's soul. So even if it didn't happen in the new continuity, in hell and in Peter's soul, the deal is still having it's effect. I don't think another writer will follow up on this though. I guess Peter's soul will forever be crying out in from loss and pain. No remembrance, no confession.

Dr. Strange walked away without it being addressed other than "my hands are tied" from Mephisto, "let me change the subject with this gamble on Kindred vs. Spider-Man".
    Not wanting to have children without being married has nothing to do with whether said children are conceived. Accidents happen. And being married does not automatically mean children will come from the relationship. Again, Mephisto (and Marvel editorial, apparently) know nothing about human reproduction OR marriage. If Mephisto wanted to stop Peter and MJ from having children, removing their marriage is...asinine. Instead, he should ensure one of them becomes infertile. But then, Quesada had a mad-on for Peter being in a committed relationship because I guess wives mean his childhood heroes have cooties or something.

But then, this issue REEKS of higher up editorial interference at the last minute and makes my story-sense tingle. Nick Lowe is well-known to be a hands-off editor when it comes to creative so I have no doubt he okayed Spencer playing with whatever stories he wanted. And Spencer is too smart of a writer and too cognizant of how stories work not to have a bigger purpose in mind than just trolling fans (he's not Slott, after all) with all the deliberate OMD references. The Sins Past retcon feels like a last minute substitution for the original story Spencer was telling.

I, too, can't wait for Spencer to start talking.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Not wanting to have children without being married has nothing to do with whether said children are conceived. Accidents happen. And being married does not automatically mean children will come from the relationship. Again, Mephisto (and Marvel editorial, apparently) know nothing about human reproduction OR marriage. If Mephisto wanted to stop Peter and MJ from having children, removing their marriage is...asinine. Instead, he should ensure one of them becomes infertile. But then, Quesada had a mad-on for Peter being in a committed relationship because I guess wives mean his childhood heroes have cooties or something.

But then, this issue REEKS of higher up editorial interference at the last minute and makes my story-sense tingle. Nick Lowe is well-known to be a hands-off editor when it comes to creative so I have no doubt he okayed Spencer playing with whatever stories he wanted. And Spencer is too smart of a writer and too cognizant of how stories work not to have a bigger purpose in mind than just trolling fans (he's not Slott, after all) with all the deliberate OMD references. The Sins Past retcon feels like a last minute substitution for the original story Spencer was telling.

That's not how this works, Peter is one of the smartest men alive.Accidents are a far reach, that's like saying Cap America died in a car crash driving to get Ice cream.
    And MJ and Peter not being married kinda means they aren't together in this scenario.This is cemented by the fact that as soon as Peter MJ got back together(just dating) Kindred who was Mephisto's plan came on.

Astonishing Member

The Mephisto stuff is flat out BS ( always will be). If ( right or wrong) Quesada did not want Peter and MJ together, then divorce them. Same for the kid issue. Roe v Wade has made Abortion legal for almost 50 years, so if MJ wants no kids there is your solution ( right or wrong it happens every day) There is absolutely no justification for that story. I believe the real reason why it happened was a fear on Quesada’s end that people will not buy an Adult Peter. Today there is less of a need for a juvenile Peter because there is a teenage Spider-Man named Miles.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    The Mephisto stuff is flat out BS ( always will be). If ( right or wrong) Quesada did not want Peter and MJ together, then divorce them. Same for the kid issue. Roe v Wade has made Abortion legal for almost 50 years, so if MJ wants no kids there is your solution ( right or wrong it happens every day) There is absolutely no justification for that story. I believe the real reason why it happened was a fear on Quesada’s end that people will not buy an Adult Peter. Today there is less of a need for a juvenile Peter because there is a teenage Spider-Man named Miles.
    I agree with you 100%. The idea that divorce ages a character or isn’t morally acceptable based on beliefs is just stupid logic. Making a deal with a devil is morally acceptable? If that’s the case then I’d like to make a deal right this second for some sort of wealth or comfort.

At this point they (messily) cleaned up Sin Past. I hope I don’t have to hear about Sins Past in posts or people glorifying Gwen anymore. She’s dead. Love the hell on. Otherwise this run was a waste of my time and money.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    That's not how this works, Peter is one of the smartest men alive.Accidents are a far reach, that's like saying Cap America died in a car crash driving to get Ice cream.
    Um…not how human reproduction works, sorry. If one is sexually active and fertile, then no birth control method is 100% effective. 616 Baby May was, after all, implied to be an accident - Peter and MJ certainly weren’t trying for a baby. Has nothing to do with how intelligent one is and everything to do with how human bodies function. And having a piece of paper saying one is legally married has zero to do with whether children are conceived or not.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 09-29-2021 at 10:14 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Um…not how human reproduction works, sorry. If one is sexually active and fertile, then no birth control method is 100% effective. 616 Baby May was, after all, implied to be an accident - Peter and MJ certainly weren’t trying for a baby. Has nothing to do with how intelligent one is and everything to do with how human bodies function. And having a piece of paper saying one is legally married has zero to do with whether children are conceived or not.
    We have Spider-people and mutant(who can't get Aids btw, it's canon) and you think 100% effective birth control isn't possible.... and a lot of things can happen, but it usually won't because it's a comic, not real life.
    Again I told you marriage in this instance mean being together, this is proven by the fact that as soon as Peter and MJ got back together Kindred(Mephisto's plan) showed up.And in the end we see Peter MJ are still strong and Mayday is a possibility w/ no sign of marriage yet.You're right that legally married has nothing to do w/ kids, but the deal made the relationship that was a marriage go away and hence we call it marriage being the factor whereas it's them being together.

Incredible Member

I became a Spider-fan during the era of the clone saga, when MJ was pregnant with baby Mayday so I will always have a soft spot for married Peter and MJ and baby Mayday. Abs honestly, I think they could do some pretty unique stories with Peter and MJ being parents, if not married. However, I doubt that’ll fit Disney’s “family” image, of a broken family unit, despite that is what? Pretty common across America…. (But I’m not getting into that). But I could just see how Peter abs the whole “Parker luck” would ruin nights where he would have to pick up Mayday for his time to be a dad. It would be done unique story telling.

But, I’m sure if they would ever try to tell that kind of story with Spider-Man, they would use Ben, Kaine, Miguel. I could actually see that kinda story with Ben honestly.

But all in honestly, if they ever decide to “retire” Peter as Spider-Man fully, and let Ben or Miles remain as the face of the franchise, I doubt we’ll ever see Peter or MJ have that “happily ever after” with kid(s).
    Last edited by Blanks; 09-29-2021 at 10:29 AM.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

I expected nothing and was still disappointed. If you're going to make this the point where you park your run you could have bothered to establish clone Harry better. OK, BND Harry is a clone and all. So did AI Harry made Norman believe he never cloned Harry through Mysterio, or what exactly..?

Far as it goes, my own speculation is that after Secret Empire, which, to be charitable, we'll call "very controversial", Marvel figured Spencer could do a pallate cleanser to help reestablish himself better for cape comics, and decided to give him OMD/Sins Past to do away with - but with the caveat that it HAS to span multiple years and end at #900 or some such. As people already showed from previous interviews, Spencer did state when things were starting up this was intended to be another long run.

Then Covid happens. I need to find the actual source for that but I've read that Substack approached Spencer during Marvel pulling a hiatus ("Pencils down" or something, I believe), and began talks there. I think the deal crystalized during/after Last Remains, because Spencer's run organically spaced its stories from "Kindred-centric" to "He's just going to keep grating at your patience on cliffhangers" MUCH better than what we got with Sinister War following so closely after (the end pages in ASM #74 also mention Beyond was being thrown around by December 2020).

I'd imagine there's a degree of bad blood, but I think Marvel probably played it straight from the getgo and told Spencer the story has to stretch to an even milestone (#900/#1000, whatever it may be). Tynion said that the pay was good and the degree of freedom just as, so I think Spencer followed the money more than anything else (and bless his heart, I'm not going to hold it against someone they quit their Spider-Man run earlier if it's going to get in the way of better financial stability).

So it's a chicken or the egg scenario in this case, but I wouldn't be willing to pin it all on Marvel editorial altogether. It takes two to tango.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I think the issue is it got to a point where, after everything they'd gone through, the marriage was too rock solid to break up save for a hail mary like Mephisto.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the issue is it got to a point where, after everything they'd gone through, the marriage was too rock solid to break up save for a hail mary like Mephisto.
    "Hail Mary" and Mephisto--there's a pair you don't see linked too often!