Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Well, Ares is out, and possibly Grail. Will the Amazons will use this opportunity to return to the world, or will they cling to their isolationism because "Man's world" is impure ?
    Since we don't know the circumstances under which the Amazons arrived on Themyscira at this point in time, this is an unanswerable question.

Yes, they were to guard Ares, but is there a Doom's Doorway?

Were they sent to Themyscira as punishment for disobeying the goddesses when they freed themselves from Hercules and his men?

Those questions have remained unanswered since the New 52.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Well, Ares is out, and possibly Grail. Will the Amazons will use this opportunity to return to the world, or will they cling to their isolationism because "Man's world" is impure ?
    DC already did that in Earth 11 where they Amazons are ruling Man's world with Amazonian philosophy.

If Wonder Woman succeeds in making world give up war and embrace peace and love, the Amazons will obviously end their isolation.

It is not going to happen in the main cannon the same reason Batman will never succeed in making Gotham crime free. Then Both Batman and Wonder Woman comics will be over.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I still say the best way to avoid the misandrist label for the Amazons is to establish that their society was never meant to exclude men in the first place.

To this end, I continue to maintain that Gail Simone's take on the Amazons in the animated movie is still the best. We don't learn the specifics, but the story does make it clear that the Amazons had men within their ranks and lost them when Ares killed them. The Amazons were not without men by choice. They simply took up their duties on Paradise Island before they had any chance to replace their losses.
    Agreed. Looking at some historical facts about the Amazons many were egalitarian. That there were male and female amazons.That there have been men found taken care of children and the women are fighting. So yea there should be a time where the Amazons wee at first female all society due to their creations but started growing with both men and women coming. That the amazons were saving children no matter the gender from death due to infants being abandoned

Extraordinary Member

A force field that anyone can cross to get out of the island whenever they want.
    Where are you even getting this from? That hasn't been the case for at least 30 years.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

if the question is asking what should happen to the men stepping on the island from the magical effect affecting everyone perspective then it could be a wide gamut of things like being transformed into mythic creatures Amazon's themselves or falling into enchanted sleep to be awoken only when an Amazon kisses the sleeping person. if it is being asked from the view of how the Amazons should react then it should be a ever changing policy depending upon the historical age. like in the medieval times they would execute them but later on they mellowed and started brainwashing them to forget about the island and then sending them on their way.

Oen thing I always wondered if what if at one point the amazons did allow men on the Island but something happened? Like a creature or the doom gate magic targeted them. To be honest I don't think the Amazons should be banning men but ban all people that step on the Island. That it's for the wor'd
    s protection

At least Azz didn't sugarcoat all the toxic foundations of their society by seeing "look, they are an all-female, all-lesbian society! How progressive of us!"
    No, instead he gave us an all-female society that hated men, frequently talked about castrating them, had sex with them and then killed them, and would have drowned their own male offspring had a kindly (male) god not offered to take them off their hands. Also, they taunted one of their own, as both a child and an adult, for being different ("clay!").

But, for comparison purposes, he gave us an all-male society of craftsmen and artisans, who seemed content, decent, relatively peaceful by nature, and only wanted to be reunited with their female kin (the ones who would have drowned them), who they had no prejudices against for being women (or even for being terrible parents), and who they seemed to have forgiven entirely.

I guess I'm glad at least one gender could pull that off. Thanks, Azz!
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Agreed. Looking at some historical facts about the Amazons many were egalitarian. That there were male and female amazons.That there have been men found taken care of children and the women are fighting.
    Where can we find references for these historical facts about the Amazons, please?
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    No, instead he gave us an all-female society that hated men, frequently talked about castrating them, had sex with them and then killed them, and would have drowned their own male offspring had a kindly (male) god not offered to take them off their hands. Also, they taunted one of their own, as both a child and an adult, for being different ("clay!").

But, for comparison purposes, he gave us an all-male society of craftsmen and artisans, who seemed content, decent, relatively peaceful by nature, and only wanted to be reunited with their female kin (the ones who would have drowned them), who they had no prejudices against for being women (or even for being terrible parents), and who they seemed to have forgiven entirely.

Excellent Analysis

Barring special permission (like Diana asking for the likes of Clark and Bruce to visit), how about men stay, but temporarily? Say, a shipwreck victim is washed ashore and the Amazons nurse him back to health. Once he's recovered, he's given a boat, and like Avalon in Gargoyles (good show, if you haven't seen it), he's transported back home once he passes the barrier around the island's waters.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Uh are you saying they should be killed? That’s a little extreme don’t you think?
    Not coming from the gods, no.

I didnt read the whole thread so maybe this was mentioned already, but typically the rule about "no men on the Island" is a directive from the gods. It doesnt matter if the Amazons are nicer or have a more forgiving philosophy; if the gods say that men who step onto the island die, then that's what happens.

For myself, I'm fine with that kind of extreme reaction because the Greek gods were a bunch of d-bags. The Amazons dont have to like it, or they can totally support it, but the gods' word is law so they're stuck with the policy regardless.

The real problem is Steve. Whatever happens to men on the Island, it has to allow for Steve. Maybe he's an exception to the rule because the fates and gods know that his arrival heralds a new age for the Amazons, or maybe he never "technically" sets foot on the island (Diana carries him when he washes up, he spends the rest of the time in a hospital bed?), or Diana helps him escape before his punishment is enacted, or whatever. But however you deal with men on Themyscira, you gotta figure out how Steve works around it.

If it were me, I'd have monsters attack and eat any man who walks onto the island or they'd just burst into flames immediately. Wrath of the gods and all that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Yes, despondent peoples content to slave away all day, not even caring when some of them dies sure are a perfect society...

Azz made the distinct effort to showcase how unbalanced one-gender societies are, with both devolving in unhealthy collectives.

Yes, the Sons of the Amazons wanted to reunite with the Amazons, but it was because they wanted to feel whole for the first time in their life.

Peoples lash out at Azzarello because he actually showcased the Amazons, a known Man-hating or at the very least Man-reluctant society, as a real civilization, based on extremely toxic foundations. Because the Amazons as an all-female society from day one, that is a civilization, not a safe space for women to come, be healed, regain strength and return to the world to change it for the better or at least achieve better lives, is not some great progressive ideas. It's just another form of segregation/apartheid.

Can we PLEASE not start this argument again?

Or at least make a new thread for it.

/Edited out/
    Doctor Bifrost

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Which was a very pertinent and timely critique of what sadly feminism has devolved into. Feminism is a dirty word now! and so to bring reform to her crazy, radical brethren was actually the most relevant thing Wonder Woman has done in decades as a women’s icon, and the single best thing she can do for Womanhood today, that is in the West. Not only that but the artwork was fantastic. Oh those were the days!!