Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    She’s getting the upcoming Scarlet Witch series.
    Well dang. If I learned anything from reading X-Factor (which I enjoyed) directly followed by Trial (which I hated) it's that Williams works far better with more obscure characters that can use more definition in their characterization. She can take them to interesting places when other writers aren't giving them focus. Whenever she's writing well-established bigger characters she sort of just writes over their previous personalities in order to reach the emotional beats that she's hoping for.

Time to give her the ultimate test of character.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Astonishing Member

Oh shes cute. Hopefully she writes killing off hellionetty many times.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Oh shes cute. Hopefully she writes killing off hellionetty many times.
    That would necessitate him being written into books in the first place. So it all works out.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Well dang. If I learned anything from reading X-Factor (which I enjoyed) directly followed by Trial (which I hated) it's that Williams works far better with more obscure characters that can use more definition in their characterization. She can take them to interesting places when other writers aren't giving them focus. Whenever she's writing well-established bigger characters she sort of just writes over their previous personalities in order to reach the emotional beats that she's hoping for.
    Scarlet witch isn't obscure at all LOL

Trust me, I’d much prefer that. I’m reviewing it for Comic-Watch, and Orlando’s Darkhold was so much better than Trial, but I’m pretty sure it’s Williams.
    It isn't. she is a Avenger character and brevoort for sure wont work with her after she badmouthed editors

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Writerblog View Post
    Scarlet witch isn't obscure at all LOL
    That’s not what that post was implying at all.

It isn't. she is a Avenger character and brevoort for sure wont work with her after she badmouthed editors
    We’ll see.

We’ll see.
    Do you now any behind the scenes? because Orlando is exclusiv and needs to write more books

Thank you for having reading comprehension skills

Talent should always be at the root for any hire.......quality control is important.

Astonishing Member

I'm not enthused at the idea of a Williams Scarlet Witch series, not that I don't enjoy her work, I liked most of X-factor, but I'd rather see Zub on that book. If it's Orlando that's okay I guess.

Astonishing Member

Literally nobody is saying or expecting that people support books they think are bad or mediocre, lol. People don't exactly feel a need to let everyone know they won't be picking up a book by straight white writer blah blah blah unless its good.

Its like....duh? Who was out here assuming you're in a big hurry to buy books you don't like or that you think are bad?

I'm just saying, a lot of people here seem to think they're saying something by making sure people know they're definitely not going to buy Wong's X-book unless its good and she's talented, and like....what some people are actually saying with their posts miiiiiight not actually be what they think they're saying.

Show me the last time you popped into a thread about a new straight white writer you'd never heard of before and made sure everybody knew that your stance is you only support talent so you're definitely only going to buy this writer's work if it turns out you like it?

A lot of you waded in here armed with the assumption that you'd be expected to support this writer OR ELSE because diversity, and like, you're not gonna be swayed by what this writer identifies as, you're only interested in talent so you'll only be buying Wong's book if you like it and think its good, and there's nothing wrong with that or you prioritizing like that so don't go making assumptions about you based on you not being willing to just support Wong's work just because of diversity.....

And its like. My good dudes. My lads. Again I would just like to reiterate that nobody actually assumes or expects people buy and support books they don't actually enjoy, so you're not actually making a case for being allowed to do that. The funny looks people are giving some of you are actually because you're coming in hot with assumptions that you pretty clearly expect NOT to like her work and to find it mediocre and assume she was only hired because of diversity, when in a lot of your own words......you literally don't know anything about her other than her identity. So you're stockpiling a whole lot of preemptive defensiveness without seeming to have even registered the possibility that it might turn out you end up thinking that she IS, in fact, talented.

That's the only look that's getting anyone here any side-eye, cuz its not actually a good look and its not based on anything more tangible than a default assumption that she was hired because of diversity. When talented and diverse was always right there as an option on the table, as well as the reality that a lot of the white writers currently at Marvel are the epitome of mediocre and are still new enough that if the default assumption is just to assume until proven otherwise that any new hire might not be that talented, its awfully curious how many of their debuts over the past few years didn't coincide with a rush to judgment about how likely or not it was they'd turn out to be talented.

Trust me, I’d much prefer that. I’m reviewing it for Comic-Watch, and Orlando’s Darkhold was so much better than Trial, but I’m pretty sure it’s Williams.
    Darkhold was better but I wouldn’t call it “so much better.” It was better in the sense that mediocrity is better than abject failure lol
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Darkhold was better but I wouldn’t call it “so much better.” It was better in the sense that mediocrity is better than abject failure lol
    For Wanda fans it was a lot better. I guess people who aren't invested in her don't have much reason to care about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    For Wanda fans it was a lot better. I guess people who aren't invested in her don't have much reason to care about it.
    Oh I’m a Wanda fan, but Darkhold wasn’t very good and it didn’t do much for her imo. A bit to paint by number for me personally.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Oh I’m a Wanda fan, but Darkhold wasn’t very good and it didn’t do much for her imo. A bit to paint by number for me personally.
    It's not really about the actual story or anything like that. It's more about the characterization of Wanda herself. Wanda in Darkhold was confidant, powerful, self-assured and took **** from no one not even Doom.

Personally that is the Wanda I want to see and not a Wanda that is a damsel in distress that doesn't know the extent of her powers, let's herself being talked down to from others who are not even in the position to do so and stands shy in the background with no agency of her own.