Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Valentonis View Post
    Agreed. I think most Grayson fans wouldn't mind him retiring, provided the character actually gets used to his full potential and his story is told in a satisfying manner. I think this is something we might get to see in the Young Justice cartoon if it gets that far, as its cast seems to be ageing in real time.
    I'm not sure I think most comic fans would mind their favourite character retiring while they are still comic readers/DC is still publishing comics.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    I'm not sure I think most comic fans would mind their favourite character retiring while they are still comic readers/DC is still publishing comics.
    Heh. Based on the many posts on this site over the years, retiring or killing off a favorite of a fan is akin to war.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Depends on how its done, retire him as say Ric under the stale who gives a shit vision of the likes of Lobdell or Jurgan's then ya the war drums will be banging. But give him a satisfying and fair end to his narrative by a creator who actually gives a shit and has their finger on the pulse, then i don't know. When they retire or kill off a character its usually done to invoke a reaction, and with the knowledge that they'll eventually bring so and so back. So they don't really care how they do it they are just getting from a. to b. as they rattle the tree. Its not gone into as a characters appeasing end, but more shock value.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-04-2020 at 05:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Depends on how its done, retire him as say Ric under the stale who gives a shit vision of the likes of Lobdell or Jurgan's then ya the war drums will be banging. But give him a satisfying and fair end to his narrative by a creator who actually gives a shit and has their finger on the pulse, then i don't know.
    I have no doubt that there are some who would have no problem with that, but I have to think they're a very small minority. From my experience over the years, the vast majority of people want the characters they like to never, ever be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I have no doubt that there are some who would have no problem with that, but I have to think they're a very small minority. From my experience over the years, the vast majority of people want the characters they like to never, ever be replaced.
    Being replaced isn’t the same thing as a character retiring. The vast majority of characters that get replace are purposely done so in shocking and/or abrasive ways, with the objective being to replace them of a length of time rather then bring a proper end to their journey. As like I said it’s more about shaking the tree then anything else.
    But truly retiring a character and bringing a satisfying end their journey isn’t the same thing. It has become such a stunt done to replace characters though that I get the thinking that they inherently go hand and hand. That does tend to leave fans feeling the character they like is being replaced, rather then satisfied the character they like story has come to a fair conclusion.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-04-2020 at 07:07 AM.

Being replaced isn’t the same thing as a character retiring. The vast majority of characters that get replace are purposely done so in shocking and/or abrasive ways, with the objective being to replace them of a length of time rather then bring a proper end to their journey. As like I said it’s more about shaking the tree then anything else.
    But truly retiring a character and bringing a satisfying end their journey isn’t the same thing. It has become such a stunt done to replace characters though that I get the thinking that they inherently go hand and hand. That does tend to leave fans feeling the character they like is being replaced, rather then satisfied the character they like story has come to a fair conclusion.
    Some of us don't want conclusions though. We want more stories of our favorite characters.

Retired

I think if grown-up Robin had been allowed to be his actual age on Earth-Two (which would have been in his forties circa 1975), there could have been some exploration of Richard Grayson as an older man. But because of the fad for teen super-teams, he came across as being not much older than the Dick Grayson on Earth-One.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I think Dick's progression benefitted both his characterization and Batman's.

I'd also argue that Bruce works fine in his late thirties to early forties--slightly past his physical prime, but he more than makes up for it with the wisdom and skills he's picked up over time. And once you buy into the idea that a guy can take on dozens of armed combatants single-handedly, the difference between thirty and forty is minor.

Astonishing Member

They could retire Nightwing in a "satisfactory" way (although even this would be debated). However, I doubt most of his fans would be happy that their favorite character will never be protagonist in the stories again.

Also, I don't think that fans would be so happy to see that Nightwing is 60 years old in main continuity.
    Last edited by Konja7; 02-04-2020 at 10:59 AM.

I was thinking, perhaps "never" is a strong word.

These are comics settled in a very fantasy-like world. If you retire a character, make him grow old, etc. you can still un-retire them anytime at any given moment to tell some story. You can even make them young again with whatever excuse you can pull from under your sleeves. To me, this is better than dragging a character throughout nonsense stories that definitely don't seem to work or are unliked because you cannot find someone with a good enough idea, or talented enough, or just lucky enough to create something well liked (luck is also a factor) that sells that character. And, heck, you can even give them a new alias, even if it's temporary. Or retiring the previous legacy character if they don't work in the end either.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 02-04-2020 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    They could retire Nightwing in a "satisfactory" way (although even this would be debated). However, I doubt most of his fans would be happy that their favorite character will never be protagonist in the stories again.

Also, I don't think that fans would be so happy to see that Nightwing is 60 years old in main continuity.
    Look at Ric. I think Nightwing fans would be more accepting of him having gone out in a blaze of glory even, then having to continue to witness him slowly go out with a whimper as a shame under lazy creators with no vision.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-04-2020 at 01:55 PM.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

In a lot of ways, Nightwing is the heart and soul of the post-Crisis DC Universe. He's the bridge between generations. The older heroes respect him. His contemporaries look up to him. And the next generation sees him as the cool uncle.

In other ways he’s a forgotten hobo who’s only purpose now is to give boring bottom of the charts creators something to work on
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-05-2020 at 04:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    In a lot of ways, Nightwing is the heart and soul of the post-Crisis DC Universe. He's the bridge between generations. The older heroes respect him. His contemporaries look up to him. And the next generation sees him as the cool uncle.
    In other ways he’s a forgotten hobo who’s only purpose now is to give boring bottom of the charts creators something to work on.
    Heart and soul or forgotten hobo - you decide!

Mighty Member

I like Dick grown up
    I especially liked him as Nightwing, the leader of the Titans, and in a romantic relationship with Kory.
    Last edited by Starrius; 02-04-2020 at 04:41 PM.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.