Page 209 of 334 FirstFirst ... 109159199205206207208209210211212213219259309 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,135 of 5002
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    What's your problem with the casting of the JSA? Hawkman having brown skin is absolutely great considering his strong backstory as a reincarnated hero from ancient egypt. And the actor they picked is a pretty damn great choice if you've seen him in anything.

I like Ma Hunkel and I'm not saying the change was necessary, but I don't think it hurts the character. It's an interesting idea.
    If I had to take a guess, based on the characters specified for "bad casting," this is his problem.

I don't really love racebending characters, but fans on these boards don't seem to whine when Ra's, Talia and Bane were racebent to white for the Nolan trilogy. Doesn't paint the most flattering picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    What's your problem with the casting of the JSA? Hawkman having brown skin is absolutely great considering his strong backstory as a reincarnated hero from ancient egypt. And the actor they picked is a pretty damn great choice if you've seen him in anything.

I like Ma Hunkel and I'm not saying the change was necessary, but I don't think it hurts the character. It's an interesting idea.
    Race swapping is so over done and lame. It’s basically saying our minority characters aren’t good enough, here’s a White character played by a non White actor. Just think how disappointed young Black kids will be when they see Hawkman and then go to buy his merchandise where it’s nothing but the White version

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Race swapping is so over done and lame. It’s basically saying our minority characters aren’t good enough, here’s a White character played by a non White actor. Just think how disappointed young Black kids will be when they see Hawkman and then go to buy his merchandise where it’s nothing but the White version

This is something I've often thought about and definitely feels like a drawback to racebending characters instead of promoting actual characters of color.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    As I said, I could care less in this case, but I would suggest to Gaiman and Netflix that they are really not being creative or brave by this move. The idea that it's brave to do this sort of lost steam the thousandth time DC or someone else did this. And creative would be doing something new, not something everyone else has already done.
    How about this lets see a BETTER effort in making content with POC.

How about stop rushing to adapt stuff that has excluded POC?

Heck remember WB wanted Static to be WHITE for Static Shock and said that to Milestone's FACE.

Whose fault there is a lack of POC lead stuff at DC where you can't exclude a Batman, Superman, WW and so on. We just had Black Lightning tv and Vixen. Now we got Naomi.

Tell folks it's NOT okay for Jimmy Olsen to be black. Lets include Jimmy and RON TROUPE (who married Lana Lang in old DC).

None of this Jimmy is icon mess. You are doing a tv show-where you have more leeway to build a supporting cast.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    [/B]

This is something I've often thought about and definitely feels like a drawback to racebending characters instead of promoting actual characters of color.
    It's called no one wants to do the work REQUIRED for that.

Spawn is where he is because from 1992 to now-someone did WORK on him and never quit.

Miles Morales is where he is because for 11 years someone did work and never quit.

Someone who stayed for more than 1 arc.

Unlike what we have seen with others.

Can't build up say Shilo Norman-if nothing is done after his mini. Something that has been a constant issue for many POC-getting them consistent usage.

Folks giving them shots beyond an ongoing-Nubia had an OGN. It should and was the top seller for a month on Amazon and is still a top ten seller. Will DC capitalize on that or think it was done by accident?

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    If I had to take a guess, based on the characters specified for "bad casting," this is his problem.

I don't really love racebending characters, but fans on these boards don't seem to whine when Ra's, Talia and Bane were racebent to white for the Nolan trilogy. Doesn't paint the most flattering picture.
    It's what I believe and you would have a problem if they cast a white or hispanic character playing a black character. It's happened only a couple of times. When it's being done to death, people would start being up in arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    That's a reason to promote other characters more, not a reason to recreate these characters less. I don't love every example of racebending (water, earth, fire air, race) but I still don't think it's a "dangerous epidemic".

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    The DC heroes should've been tougher towards Wonder Woman after her killing of Maxwell Lord
    Like how? They were already disproportionately mad at her as it was.

Also, the heroes should have been much harder on Bruce for creating Brother Eye.

Tower Of Babel was one of the worst DC storylines and thought it could've been handled differently. Did the other Justice Leaguers really believed they would never go rouge or become mind controlled and that there shouldn't be any contingency plans just in case?
    People forget that Diana was fine with contingency plans against the League. It was Bruce having them and failing to keep them secure that was the issue.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It's called no one wants to do the work REQUIRED for that.
    There it is.

Kelley Pucket and J.P. llidge fought for Cassandra Cain, and after the character's keep getting pressed down, the fans don't stop demanding for the right treatment. Patrick Gleason listened to fans and was the first one to draw Damian to be less white. Scott Snyder keeps pushing for Duke.

Other authors and artists are like whatever, and a lot of readers too.

On variant covers, they don't really care to inform the artist, so you get many variant artists drawing current Huntress in the classic skin tone when she's supposed to be darker.

If DC's whatever about original character of color, then the result's gonna be whatever too.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Like how? They were already disproportionately mad at her as it was.

Also, the heroes should have been much harder on Bruce for creating Brother Eye.

People forget that Diana was fine with contingency plans against the League. It was Bruce having them and failing to keep them secure that was the issue.
    Some of the heroes were already on Bruce's arse even after Diana's killing, I forget if it was about Brother Eye or something else that led to Bruce and Green Arrow fighting. I felt they're weren't mad at her enough as some of the heroes already gave her a pass and DC's gotten way too comfortable with her killing since they had her kill Steppenwolf in Snyder's Justice League cut.

Some of the heroes were already on Bruce's arse even after Diana's killing, I forget if it was about Brother Eye or something else that led to Bruce and Green Arrow fighting. I felt they're weren't mad at her enough as some of the heroes already gave her a pass and DC's gotten way too comfortable with her killing since they had her kill Steppenwolf in Snyder's Justice League cut.
    The worst Bruce got from the heroes over Brother Eye was Booster Gold yelling at him and that was it. Everyone forgot about it after Infinite Crisis and even then Bruce was barely called out for it during that story. In fact, I think Superman and Booster were the only heroes who did get mad at him for it, and his response to the former was to tell him that he wasn't inspirational anymore. By contrast, DC held Maxwell Lord's death over Wonder Woman's head for years all the while they were pretending Brother Eye (Superman knowing about and covering up the League's mind wipes) never happened. Hell, she even got taken to court over it.

Diana got more heat over Max's death than Bruce or Clark did for either of their sins. I also don't get why you're singling out the Snyder cut since that is not the first movie she's killed in and certainly not the first continuity in which she's killed. She's been doing that since the Perez run in the 80s. It wasn't a big deal until she killed someone who was human. Note that Superman and Batman's killings have never been called out.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 06-06-2021 at 06:13 AM.

the Al Ghuls were white (or whiteish) looking from the start, despite their current locale, when originally created. Maybe they should have been otherwise (which is kinda iffy with Ra's and Talia, since we only knew where he was and the name he'd been given, not his real history or race and when readers wrote letters asking, the answer was avoided and of course, people don't all look the same in the region), but they weren't. Also, I wasn't fond of the casting (or, to be fair, story) for either of them in the movies.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 06-06-2021 at 08:32 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

It could be about Brother's Eye or Tower of Babel. I remember vaguely Ollie trying to get Nightwing to his side on that only for him to bring up that Justice League brainwashing of Dr. Light and Batman

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    the Al Ghuls were white (or whiteish) looking from the start, despite their current locale, when originally created. Maybe they should have been otherwise (which is kinda iffy with Ra's and Talia, since we only knew where he was and the name he'd been given, not his real history or race and when readers wrote letters asking, the answer was avoided and of course, people don't all look the same in the region), but they weren't. Also, I wasn't fond of the casting (or, to be fair, story) for either of them in the movies.
    The al Ghuls are probably a bad example because you get a variety of skin tones from Northern Africa across to Western Asia. Not to disagree with your point as Ras can be taken for Italian as easily as Persian or Turkish in Adams' original illustrations. Just saying the al Ghuls race and ethnicity has always been less central to the characters than Vixen's or Black Lightning's, and their original skin color can fit into a variety of "Oriental" origins.

To the point, I only see a few major DC characters that are race bound. Vixen and BL, as mentioned. Batman and Green Arrow, because they come from entrenched, American Old Money. Maybe Wonder Woman, because of her mythical Greek roots. Black Canary, because a blonde wig as a disguise is ridiculous for anybody but a Caucasian.

Almost everybody else is up for grabs. Especially since DC kicks it's history upsidedown at an increasingly frequent pace.

I want a Jay Garrick on-going.