Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bat-Mite and Bizarro get a comic but not Shazam?

Bat mite and Bizarro get a comic but not Shazam?

Thats insane is it not?

I have to think there are more Shazam fans than Bat Mite lol

I really hope DC goes with a monthly Shazam series dont you folks?

I have no problem with Bat Mite or Bizarro having a series but if they do then I am sure Shazam should rate one as well LOL
    Last edited by canuckdad; 06-14-2015 at 01:29 PM.

I like Shazam but it is good thing we got Bat-Mite and Bizzaro. Maybe no one has pitched a good Shazam yet.

Incredible Member

DC has always treated Captain Marvel and the Marvel Family poorly. Regardless of the fact that they absolutely do sell anytime a series based on them is put out.

But they get snippy everytime any book based on this property starts out-selling Superman. So it seems like they do everything in their power to sink any attempt that is made.

I was a dedicated reader of Power Of Shazam. I followed that series from the graphic novel, through the series, and clear up to the end. And I enjoyed every bit of it. But that was the last time the property ever got remotely taken seriously by DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Kelley View Post
    DC has always treated Captain Marvel and the Marvel Family poorly. Regardless of the fact that they absolutely do sell anytime a series based on them is put out.

But they get snippy everytime any book based on this property starts out-selling Superman. So it seems like they do everything in their power to sink any attempt that is made.

I was a dedicated reader of Power Of Shazam. I followed that series from the graphic novel, through the series, and clear up to the end. And I enjoyed every bit of it. But that was the last time the property ever got remotely taken seriously by DC.
    I loved all the old Shazam series , loved the 75 year celebration, and really loved Shazam vol 1 new 52. cant they just keep going from Vol 1?

Incredible Member

I'm just wondering how DC can justify keeping the word, Shazam, trademarked. It was commonly used by Gomer Pyle in the 60's as a regular catch-phrase. Once a word enters the common lexicon of everyday use, trademarks no longer apply. So DC shouldn't legally be able to maintain that trademark.

Captain Marvel and the Marvel Family have otherwise fallen into the public domain.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by canuckdad View Post
    I loved all the old Shazam series , loved the 75 year celebration, and really loved Shazam vol 1 new 52. cant they just keep going from Vol 1?
    Well, the story that made up New52 Shazam Volume 1 was actually comprised of reprints of the back-up story from the Justice League book and not from a stand-alone Shazam title. It introduced a new version of Billy Batson for the new continuity and led directly into the Trinity War/Forever Evil cycle which featured both Shazam and Black Adam quite prominently. That's why it (so far) ended when it did. There was a hint of a sequel at the end (Sivana meeting Mr. Mind in that final scene) but Geoff Johns has yet to commit to it.

I wouldn't write off a follow-up sometime in the future though. Especially with a film in the works.
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 06-14-2015 at 08:50 AM.

I think the main reason we haven't seen one is bacause Johns had dibs on him and then put him on the backburner.
    Most likely, no one pitched a Captain Marvel or Shazam book because they assumed one was already in the works.

Btw... I really liked Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam and Jeff Smith's Moster Society of Evil.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Maybe dc should try a bizarro shazam title.

We'll see a Shazam book. Its inevitable.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Geoff Johns has called dibs. He's one of the higher ups in DC now, so few people are going to challenge him on that. I also think he had dibs on Cyborg but he had to let that go because DC desperately needs to build Cyborg up as a solo hero.

Shazam needs a solo title. We'll get one eventually. Even if it is set on another world.

Astonishing Member

johns has complete dibs over comic appearances and adaptations as CCO; frankly i'm amazed that JLU is allowed use billy and mary; or that Timm's allowed use a version of mary for gods and monsters

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

More like: there's a SHAZAM book coming out and not a LEGION? That's insane.

BANNED

Regarding the other books mentioned:

I believe, in this case, the situation is that there is a perception that the people who like Shazam! will, in the mean time, buy other things, whereas the people who might buy Bat-Mite or Bizarro now are people who were only interested in that sort of thing.

DC probably didn't really look at it to this level of specifics, but you get the idea, I hope.

How did Multiversity Thunderworld sell compared to the other issues?

Astonishing Member

It's coming. Smart money says Johns/Frank, but Doc Shaner seems to be doing more work for DC lately, and a big part of me hopes he's on the book somewhere, somehow. Perhaps he'll do secondary arcs on both JLU and Shazam. 'Twould be pretty fun.