Page 277 of 613 FirstFirst ... 177227267273274275276277278279280281287327377 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,155 of 9194
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I spoke to someone from DC at a con over the summer about it and they told me Jon was going to be aged up to about 17, but that there there is definitely a possibility of more Adventures of the Super Sons books that are not tethered to the present continuity if this maxi-series proves successful.
    Wow, nearly 6 or 7 years out in space? That means he's spent nearly as much time with Jor-El as he has with his own parents (basically he has given he wouldn't have been cognoscenti of his first few years as a very small child). But you know what? I hope the kid comes back with a bunch of space jargon and know-how. He's always been so interested in all things space, so he must've taken to all that really quick.

I'd be 100% down for a Super Sons book that's just allowed to be goofy and out there without any worry of anything impeding it continuity wise.

There's also the DC Zoom imprint versions that are just starting as well. That format, while not popular with comic book fans since most of us are old, is a killer format with tween and young teen crowd. I think WB's realizes that they have a good gateway drug in Jon and Damian, so their adventures will continue even if Bendis keeps his older Jon.
    Yeah, this is where I'm really assuming they'll keep that up. It's kind of like how in the Teen Titans cartoon Dick is still and will always be Robin, and kids seem to not care.

That would be a pretty great sci-fi take on it. Though I still think it's still possible that they decide to reveal that Jon's real father is Superman and Clark has been functioning as his stepfather all these years. It may take a more delicate hand than Bendis to make that work without making Lois or Clark look bad in the process, but it could actually be done and tie back into the adoption narrative.
    I'm far less sure of this idea at the moment, not because I don't think it's doable, but because all signs seem to indicate that Lois will be just as surprised about Jon's age up as Clark is. I was under the assumption that she'd be the one to set up that whole deal if it were the case. Now, it could still happen, and it would totally fit into the more openly high concept world that Bendis is crafting in both books, plus it again does fit the "new normal" idea, but I'm just not as sure of it now.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 11-29-2018 at 09:52 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Wow, nearly 6 or 7 years out in space? That means he's spent nearly as much time with Jor-El as he has with his own parents (basically he has given he wouldn't have been cognoscenti of his first few years as a very small child). But you know what? I hope the kid comes back with a bunch of space jargon and know-how. He's always been so interested in all things space, so he must've taken to all that really quick.
    The person I spoke to was someone who definitely would be in a position to know these things but I wasn't sure of it, even after the cover leaked, until the interviews in the last few days where Bendis makes it pretty clear years have passed for Jon.

I'm far less sure of this idea at the moment, not because I don't think it's doable, but because all signs seem to indicate that Lois will be just as surprised about Jon's age up as Clark is. I was under the assumption that she'd be the one to set up that whole deal if it were the case. Now, it could still happen, and it would totally fit into the more openly high concept world that Bendis is crafting in both books, plus it again does fit the "new normal" idea, but I'm just not as sure of it now.
    Yeah, I'm not sure of it either. I can see one way it would work fantastic, make Superman, "Clark," and Lois all look great. But if it's not handled right it will just be horrendous and feed into all the worst interpretations of Lois, Clark, and the classic love triangle while also being pretty offensive on a few levels.
    Last edited by Yoda; 11-29-2018 at 09:57 PM.

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    Maybe that’s because Superman is a big, bombastic, and action packed (fun fact: I typed “action” and my phone autocorrected to make it capitalized and suggested comics as the next word, god I love predictive text) but Action Comics is a slow burn mystery? Maybe Action will read better in trades for you.
    Yes, that might be a factor. I guess there is a difference between reading individual issues and reading a completed story in a trade. Bendis has a reputation for decompressed storytelling that works better on trades, but I feel that stakes in Superman are more real and emotional than in Action Comics.

I'd be 100% down for a Super Sons book that's just allowed to be goofy and out there without any worry of anything impeding it continuity wise.

Yeah, this is where I'm really assuming they'll keep that up. It's kind of like how in the Teen Titans cartoon Dick is still and will always be Robin, and kids seem to not care.
    I'm more interested to see Superman try and get used to Jon's new appearance and maybe, just maybe, Jor-El trying to reconnect with his son.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I spoke to someone from DC at a con over the summer about it and they told me Jon was going to be aged up to about 17, but that there there is definitely a possibility of more Adventures of the Super Sons books that are not tethered to the present continuity if this maxi-series proves successful.

There's also the DC Zoom imprint versions that are just starting as well. That format, while not popular with comic book fans since most of us are old, is a killer format with tween and young teen crowd. I think WB's realizes that they have a good gateway drug in Jon and Damian, so their adventures will continue even if Bendis keeps his older Jon.
    That is cool.what is the point of having that adventures of supersons in the past? It will not have any impact on the present storyline. His development in that book is arrested and the stories that tomasi wanted to tell with characters is cut short.The protagonists are not interacting with any of there family members or the larger DCU. The book is direction less.I thought atleast the book would have some meaning(it's comics). At this point, it has become chore to read. Though stories are good. The whimsical fun is a lot better read than a lot of the pretensious nonsense from DC.
    It would be better if it was it's own continuity and Tomasi was given full control of the book and characters of the world. But, i did not expect this. It came out of left field.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-29-2018 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    That is cool.what is the point of having that adventures of supersons ? It will not have any impact on the present storyline. His development in that book is arrested and the stories that tomasi wanted to tell with characters is cut short.The protagonists are not interacting with any of there family members or the larger DCU. The book is direction less.I thought the book would have some meaning(it's comics) . At this point, it has become chore to read. Though stories are good. The whimsical fun is a lot better read than a lot of the pretensious nonsense from DC.
    But, i did not expect this. It came out of left field.
    The point would be a fun book about a young Jon and Damian having adventures in the DCU for a younger demographic. My son's 10 and reads Adventures of the Super Sons, DC Super Hero Girls, and is excited for the DC Zoom line. He could care less if any of that has an impact on the present DC continuity. In a few years he might move over to the main line of books as he ages out of those. That should be the point of those books. Marvel for all it's recent faults seems to get that with Ms. Marvel and Moongirl.

The person I spoke to was someone who definitely would be in a position to know these things but I wasn't sure of it, even after the cover leaked, until the interviews in the last few days where Bendis makes it pretty clear years have passed for Jon.

This kind of reminds me of how Damian and Conner came to the Batman and Superman universes with a lot more than just their characters. In Conner's case he brought with him a direct line to the Cadmus concept along with all the lived-in new and old characters in it. 6 or 7 years in space is like mountains and mountains of story that Bendis couldn't possible finish on just his plate alone. It's daunting, honestly, and the more we hear about it the more I need to see him as a character with my own two eyes. And what's maybe the most fascinating part is that Clark would be totally in the wrong if he said "well, I'm gonna go reverse time now, so that none of this never happened." Jon is still alive and will have formed as a person, and Clark would basically be saying "no, I don't agree with you as a person. Do over." He's got the means to, but it wouldn't be right

This is the very definition of a ballsy move lol

Yeah, I'm not sure of it either. I can see one way it would work fantastic, make Superman, "Clark," and Lois all look great. But if it's not handled right it will just be horrendous and feed into all the worst interpretations of Lois, Clark, and the classic love triangle while also being pretty offensive on a few levels.
    Yeah, I'm going back and forth on it now that you've brought it up again. Like, it's really interesting in a Franklin Richards Fantastic Four sort of way, but also just kind of nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    I'm more interested to see Superman try and get used to Jon's new appearance and maybe, just maybe, Jor-El trying to reconnect with his son.
    Oh yes, without a doubt interested in that too, and I'm pretty sure Clark's gonna wanna "reconnect" his fist with his dad's jaw as his first reaction (50/50 if he actually swings though). But if you've read any of Bendis' Guardians of the Galaxy run then you'll see a bit of J-Son (Star Lord's dad) in Bendis' Jor-El even down to the idea that both men feel their kids are throwing away their birthright for childish antics. Still reading it so I don't know how it ends with those two.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The point would be a fun book about a young Jon and Damian having adventures in the DCU for a younger demographic. My son's 10 and reads Adventures of the Super Sons, DC Super Hero Girls, and is excited for the DC Zoom line. He could care less if any of that has an impact on the present DC continuity. In a few years he might move over to the main line of books as he ages out of those. That should be the point of those books. Marvel for all it's recent faults seems to get that with Ms. Marvel and Moongirl.
    Hey, I am glad your son likes it. My cousin's son does as well. He is 14. If zoom is there why continue the farce with adventures of supersons. It said to be set in continuity, that is blatant false advertising. It has nothing to do with continuity. That is what I am questioning.even with a direction people get bored with books, just imagine a book that does not have any. Sure it can be read like the old comic section of the newspapers that may or may not have Continuity.And It is fun.But that is not what you expect from in continuity book.You expect atleast some sort of ramifications, even if it is small.

This kind of reminds me of how Damian and Conner came to the Batman and Superman universes with a lot more than just their characters. In Conner's case he brought with him a direct line to the Cadmus concept along with all the lived-in new and old characters in it. 6 or 7 years in space is like mountains and mountains of story that Bendis couldn't possible finish on just his plate alone. It's daunting, honestly, and the more we hear about it the more I need to see him as a character with my own two eyes. And what's maybe the most fascinating part is that Clark would be totally in the wrong if he said "well, I'm gonna go reverse time now, so that none of this never happened." Jon is still alive and will have formed as a person, and Clark would basically be saying "no, I don't agree with you as a person. Do over." He's got the means to, but it wouldn't be right

Which all kind of fits with Bendis's theme of what actions Superman is going to take going forward. You're dead on he has the means to correct this. But in doing so he'd effectively be killing the person his son became. Now if Jon were to undo it himself, that'd be one thing. But the tension is going to be nuts.

Yeah, I'm going back and forth on it now that you've brought it up again. Like, it's really interesting in a Franklin Richards Fantastic Four sort of way, but also just kind of nuts.
    I mean the present timeline, even with Reborn, is still pretty much in flux and Doomsday Clock (which I maintain precedes Bendis's run) gives a pretty big out for any shenanigans they want. I'd basically say Lois & Superman were an item. They broke up because Superman couldn't balance his life with a domestic life. She started dating Clark, they fell in love, and she realized she was pregnant. Clark proposes and raises Jon as his own son to give him normal life. Superman and Lois maintain a strong friendship and he has a role in Jon's upbringing that was secret. No one looks bad in that scenario and the public relationship between Lois & Clark isn't retconned into a sham.
    Last edited by Yoda; 11-29-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Master Hero Vladimir

Oh yes, without a doubt interested in that too, and I'm pretty sure Clark's gonna wanna "reconnect" his fist with his dad's jaw as his first reaction (50/50 if he actually swings though). But if you've read any of Bendis' Guardians of the Galaxy run then you'll see a bit of J-Son (Star Lord's dad) in Bendis' Jor-El even down to the idea that both men feel their kids are throwing away their birthright for childish antics. Still reading it so I don't know how it ends with those two.
    Honestly, I didn't see that Clark's problems with reconnecting with Jon could be seen as a moral dilemma. Sure, Clark could find a way to go back in time but it wouldn't feel right for him to take away his son's experiences simply because he missed out on Jon's formative years. Hopefully, Bendis will find a way to get a meaningful story out of this dilemma. Also, I don't know what happens in the Fantastic Four or Guardians of the Galaxy comics, so if those stories have some thematic resemblances to what Bendis is planning to bring to the Superman comics. While we can make solid, educated guesses from Bendis' previous work, what worked for one comic series won't necessarily work for another.

Hey, I am glad your son likes it. My cousin's son does as well. He is 14. If zoom is there why continue the farce with adventures of supersons. It said to be set in continuity, that is blatant false advertising. It has nothing to do with continuity. That is what I am questioning.even with a direction people get bored with books, just imagine a book that does not have any. Sure it can be read like the old comic section of the newspapers that may or may not have Continuity.And It is fun.But that is not what you expect from in continuity book.You expect atleast some sort of ramifications, even if it is small.
    I get what you are saying, but I think the value in a book like Adventures of Super Sons and the out of continuity Zoom imprint is different than a mainline DCU comic. It would be a monthly comic book aimed at more casual younger fans, not teenage or older fans who need a book to fit into continuity. it could bridge kids into the comics from the Zoom style imprint. The age group that those Zoom books are aimed are not the people who go to a comic shop every Wednesday. The big format is the 100-200 page graphic novels that tell a self contained story.

I still dislike the whole age up factor but I do agree with you guys pointing out it makes for interesting drama. If Bendis writes Clark reacting like we are with “what the hell I hate this, I’m going to undo it” and has Jon refuse to let his dad change his life with time travel it could make for an interesting story. But what’s the long term game plan here? Because a 17 year old Jon totally destroys his relationships with Damian and Kathy. Once Bendis has told his story then what? He better have an answer for that.
    Tomasi’s stuff is pre-Bendis and is canon. It’s a chance for him to tell his stories without worrying about Bendis. That was always what it was advertised as.

Which all kind of fits with Bendis's theme of what actions Superman is going to take going forward. You're dead on he has the means to correct this. But in doing so he'd effectively be killing the person his son became. Now if Jon were to undo it himself, that'd be one thing. But the tension is going to be nuts.
    I'm always a fan of the stories where Clark has the power to do something, but he knows it's not what he should do. I hope in a similar manner to his "I could make this whole dimension cease to be if I really put my mind to it" moment in issue 5 of Superman, he has a moment where he thinks of all of the ways to time travel at his disposal. Be even cooler if Lois were the one to tell him to pump his breaks in a slight callback to Superman The Movie.

The only things with the idea of Jon changing it himself is that Bendis would invalidate his whole run after Jon gets back because apparently Jon is coming with quite a bit of the story to his run. Basically no space adventure with crazy grandpa, then no run past issue 5 of Superman.

I'd basically say Lois & Superman were an item. They broke up because Superman couldn't balance his life with a domestic life. She started dating Clark, they fell in love, and she realized she was pregnant. Clark proposes and raises Jon as his own son to give him normal life. Superman and Lois maintain a strong friendship and he has a role in Jon's upbringing that was secret. No one looks bad in that scenario and the public relationship between Lois & Clark isn't retconned into a sham.
    Basically how I'd play it too, but I'd add in the idea that Lois and Superman had a secret Kryptonian marriage (a callback to the Golden Superman and Lois) then separated.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I still dislike the whole age up factor but I do agree with you guys pointing out it makes for interesting drama. If Bendis writes Clark reacting like we are with “what the hell I hate this, I’m going to undo it” and has Jon refuse to let his dad change his life with time travel it could make for an interesting story. But what’s the long term game plan here? Because a 17 year old Jon totally destroys his relationships with Damian and Kathy. Once Bendis has told his story then what? He better have an answer for that.
    Shipping him off to the Legion is the best guess I've seen. But that's what make me curious as to how they are going to fit this Jon back on Earth, if at all. Bendis has said he has plans for Jon and Connor to meet, so there seems to be some plan to reincorporate Jon back into the Earth based stories. We probably won't have any idea until the Unity storyline wraps up.

I get what you are saying, but I think the value in a book like Adventures of Super Sons and the out of continuity Zoom imprint is different than a mainline DCU comic. It would be a monthly comic book aimed at more casual younger fans, not teenage or older fans who need a book to fit into continuity. it could bridge kids into the comics from the Zoom style imprint. The age group that those Zoom books are aimed are not the people who go to a comic shop every Wednesday. The big format is the 100-200 page graphic novels that tell a self contained story.
    Then, they should have said so. Also make adventures of supersons it's own continuity. So that other characters like clark, Lois and Bruce can appear without hindrance. And it can have a sense of progression. It is called super "sons". It should atleast have interaction with super "fathers and mothers".
    I feel a little cheated. If it was advertised like an out of continuity book like the old silver age(I think) supersons I would not feel this way.

Shipping him off to the Legion is the best guess I've seen. But that's what make me curious as to how they are going to fit this Jon back on Earth, if at all. Bendis has said he has plans for Jon and Connor to meet, so there seems to be some plan to reincorporate Jon back into the Earth based stories. We probably won't have any idea until the Unity storyline wraps up.
    And I’d be fine with that but a 17 year old Jon means he’s basically unusable in the main DCU. He has nowhere to fit. He’s not going to stay in the future forever so eventually he’ll get deaged and we’ll get a rerun of the Chris fiasco.