Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Alex Ross's Marvels

Hey all,

Happy Friday

I was wondering if anyone here has read (even if some time ago) Marvels by Busiek and Ross. It came out in the mid-90s and was a mini of 4 parts? I remember seeing this on the shelves way back then and the story concept intrigues me.

This was an interesting read as well: http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...erhero-comics/

So, what were your thoughts on the 4-parter? Would you recommend getting floppies or should I look for a collected hardcover? Would you still think it worthwhile to read even after 21 years of marvel history has passed?

Thanks!

Still one of my favorite comics.

The singles are probably pretty rare by now, so just go for the collected edition.

And then go read Astro City.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Well, Hell.
    Now I want to read it.
    I'm not sure if it's collected? But if so, I'd definitely get an HC of it vs. getting floppies.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Still one of my favorite comics.

The singles are probably pretty rare by now, so just go for the collected edition.

And then go read Astro City.
    I have about...6 issues of his Astro City run. I haven't read it, but my son has started it, and he couldn't stop talking about how good it is.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

This was the book that got me into comics. It's REALLY good!

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

I think it's widely accepted that a top 50 best Marvel stories list wouldn't be complete without Marvels. It's pretty great, better than Kingdom Come imo. It's my favorite Busiek work after Thunderbolts (with Astro City being a nice 3rd)
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I wrote one of my first articles for the Cube about it, because I think it really does hold up strongly today. And it's a lot smarter and a lot less "dad comics" than I think it's often remembered as. Big, amazing, beautiful stuff, from the epic sky battles to the inner workings of a careful man's heart.

Busiek's eventual followup was also a strong comic, if you end up liking Marvels. Worth picking up.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    Well, Hell.
    Now I want to read it.
    I'm not sure if it's collected? But if so, I'd definitely get an HC of it vs. getting floppies.
    I don't know if it's still in print, but it's definitely been collected several times.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Stacy View Post
    Hey all,

Happy Friday

I was wondering if anyone here has read (even if some time ago) Marvels by Busiek and Ross. It came out in the mid-90s and was a mini of 4 parts? I remember seeing this on the shelves way back then and the story concept intrigues me.

This was an interesting read as well: http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...erhero-comics/

So, what were your thoughts on the 4-parter? Would you recommend getting floppies or should I look for a collected hardcover? Would you still think it worthwhile to read even after 21 years of marvel history has passed?

Thanks!
    It was marvelous. To me, it was a love letter to the 616 mainstream marvel universe from 1939 to the 70's. Very proud that I have this 4 part mini.
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 04-17-2015 at 10:18 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Stacy View Post
    So, what were your thoughts on the 4-parter?
    It's basically brilliant. The framing device of the photographer expresses often-revisted scenes like the coming of Galactus in new ways by using normal civilians as the point of view. There's some good Gwen Stacy stuff too, which I presume you'd be interested in

Alex Ross, forever the "good spoons" of comics in that you only take him out for special occasions, is amazing, but you probably already knew that. His Silver Surfer is fantastic.

Would you recommend getting floppies or should I look for a collected hardcover?
    I think it would be better as a hardcover. The story goes well as a collection and it keeps all that prettiness safe.

Would you still think it worthwhile to read even after 21 years of marvel history has passed?
    Yes. This IS Marvel's Gold and Silver Age history, condensed into four issues. And the stories it covers are so seminal that they all get referenced to death anyway, so it's not like they're outdated.

Wait. THAT WAS '94?! Okay definitely withstands the test of time. I just read it on unlimited a few months ago.

I do like it better than Kingdom Come, but it's apples to oranges. The IDW mini Godzilla: Half Century War is closer to what this is, if you've ever heard of it.

Fantastic! Thanks everyone for the insight and sugestions. I'm going to hunt this down now for sure.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I wrote one of my first articles for the Cube about it, because I think it really does hold up strongly today. And it's a lot smarter and a lot less "dad comics" than I think it's often remembered as. Big, amazing, beautiful stuff, from the epic sky battles to the inner workings of a careful man's heart.

Busiek's eventual followup was also a strong comic, if you end up liking Marvels. Worth picking up.
    What's the follow up called?

One of the best Marvel comics in existence.

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    What's the follow up called?
    Marvels: Eye of the Camera.

BANNED

It's the early history of the MU up to the death Of Gwen Stacy, told through the eyes of a reporter who witnessed much of it. The individual issues are still cheap,
    and they have some of the most beautiful acetate covers of any comic. The quality of the cover and interiors makes each issue appear to be still new, not 20 years
    old. The story is awesome, especially if you are familiar with the huge moments Busiek & Ross capture. Some of the images gave me chill bumps when I read them.
    You can tell the creative team loved the material they were working on, and it really gets the reader involved. As someone else mentioned, the followup, "Marvels: Eye
    Of The Camera", is also very good. It's not packaged as fancy, but the story and art are just as mesmerizing as "Marvels". Get the singles. You'll love them.
    marvels0.jpg marvels4.jpg