Page 238 of 440 FirstFirst ... 138188228234235236237238239240241242248288338 ... LastLast
Results 3,556 to 3,570 of 6592

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Very well then.

I don't care for Diana being tied to World War 2. It was never important to her character they way it was for Captain America. World War 1 worked for the movie but only for the movie.
    If you like to think that Diana came to Man's World to save it then I think it makes sense for it to be during World War 2. In fact, considering the female experience at the end of the war, there's a lor of untapped potential there. On one hand it was the first time women were entering the workplace in mass and once the war was over men were trying to get them back into the house. There's also all the abuse women suffered in Europe by allie and axis soldiers.

But I agree that it's not essential at all. The reason why DC is trying to place her in the past is for "respect points" of being the oldest and most experienced hero in the Justice League. It's very surface level supoort for her instead of investing in expanding her non mythological lore and role in the universe at the present.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I like that we are getting a Wonder Woman trilogy.

If you’d told me that 5 years ago, hell, if you told me that even after the first movie was a success, I wouldn’t have believed you.
    I remember thinking when Gadot was cast I was still skeptical there would be a WW solo film.

I even remained that way pretty much up to the first trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I remember thinking when Gadot was cast I was still skeptical there would be a WW solo film.

I even remained that way pretty much up to the first trailer
    The denial I was in that she was even going to be in BvS... (It didn't help that I was generally disinterested in BvS) I didn't believe it until I saw her in costume for the first time on a news article.

I mean, this was several years into the MCU, no announcement of a female lead superhero film, I new it would happen some day but it was just taking so long... The fact that it there was still a question of "can a female lead superhero film be good" was still hanging in the air. Still?! And this was 5 years ago!

The audience already knew the answer, but the corporations were dragging their feet... Better late (and good) then never, though.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Very well then.

I don't care for Diana being tied to World War 2. It was never important to her character they way it was for Captain America. World War 1 worked for the movie but only for the movie.
    I completely agree. As someone who is just not into World War II as much as most Americans are - I initially had a typo and wrote Ares, lol - I appreciated the World War I setting, and thought it was able to speak a lot more to the complexity of the human experience than World War II ever could which is usually just a standard good vs evil narrative. Note this is not me saying the Nazis aren't evil, as I'm sure someone would be tempted to do. This is just me saying that World War I allows for nuance in a way that World War II does not. I'm okay if they never connect Wonder Woman to World War II again and work more on connecting Diana to present times.

That being said, I'm also going to contradict myself. My unpopular opinion is that I liked Snyder's idea of having Diana travel to various wars looking for Ares. I think that could be a great comic series, especially if you focus on wars that don't get as much media attention as World War I, the Crimean War - as Snyder wanted to include - The Spanish America War, The Civil War, etc. You could even have a different Wondy Rogue be the agent of each war that she has to use her lasso on in order to get more information regarding finding and defeating Ares. This could culminate in a Wondy vs. Ares World War III conclusion. I would love to see that as a graphic novel that could even then get a limited series - live-action or animated - on HBO Max.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I'm not saying I think Zod is a better martial artist, just that he is someone who... on a scale of 0(doesn't know anything) to 10 (best there is) would be better than a 5. Being a Kryptonian means that in a contest of strength and skill... well... Batman has one of those two things. To put it into RPG stats:

-=-Dru-Zod
    Strength: 9
    Fighting skill: 6

-=-Batman
    Strength: 1
    Fighting Skill: 9

Wonder Woman... maybe 8/7(assuming we're looking specifically at unarmed that is)
    There is no reason why WW shouldn't be on kryptonian level. Comics alreay showed on that level multiple times.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Carter did it at least.

This is pretty cool. Wouldn’t this be an example of her Animal Empathy? Ironically, I remember reading a synopsis of a justice league episode where she and Batman went to new genesis, and they were attacked by a beastly animal. The summary I read said she used her animal empathy in that episode (I’m guessing to calm the beast), but I saw nothing of the sort. Speaking of which, I believe this same episode is where the lasso snapped and broke like a rubber band. I didn’t know anything about Wonder Woman then, but I thought to myself, I’m pretty sure that’s supposed to be unbreakable...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I love Arthur and Diana relatively equally and let me tell you, my boy didn't get any "love" in this. If you honestly think fans love to see their boy turn into a nazi so long as he gets to punch people around, you're seriously delusional. They turned him into a nazi, mind-controlled or no. He was fighting to further the whims of a genocidal REAL WORLD army that almost took over the world and exterminated millions of people. I don't care who it happens to and who they beat under that influence, that's never fun for a fan to see a beloved character morph into.
    The worse part is that there are ALWAYS villains they could use with similar enough powersets that they wouldn't NEED to use the hero. I was talking about Wonder Woman's Queen Clea, if not we still have Ocean Master instead. Especially since Aquaman became a wimp the second the trident was broken and just left (I don't even remember if he even ordered his army to leave). It's kind of like how DC LOVES evil Superman when there are so many bad Kryptonians to use that they should NEVER have to establish an evil Clark...

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Diana was exceptional even in the Marston run and her powers were compared to the Gods.

Beauty and glamour were so important to Marston's Wonder Woman. That makes me wonder, how important is it today? It was a major selling point to the Lynda Carter series and all the DCEU movies go out of their way to present a Diana as glamourous as possible. For example, I'm sure most archeology experts wouldn't wear a white designer dress to dust off a statue...

STATUE CLEANING.jpg

STATUE CLEANING 2.jpg

So is something as superficial as outward appearance integral to the character? I know personally in comics where she looks less than typically attractive like in Wonder Woman Dead Earth it almost seems as if I'm reading about someone else. I'm not talking about cheesecake or oversexualization here, I'm talking about good old fashioned fashion, hair and make-up. Would Wonder Woman's queer and female fanbase except anything else?

As a statement on 2021 feminine values versus those of 1942, a lot could be done with Diana's "Beauty of Aphrodite" and how she'd get along without it. Marvel is trying something similar with She-Hulk to a less than excited reception. It's failing there, would it work here?
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 05-03-2021 at 05:26 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Beauty and glamour were so important to Marston's Wonder Woman. That makes me wonder, how important is it today? It was a major selling point to the Lynda Carter series and all the DCEU movies go out of their way to present a Diana as glamourous as possible. For example, I'm sure most archeology experts wouldn't wear a white designer dress to dust off a statue...

STATUE CLEANING.jpg

STATUE CLEANING 2.jpg

So is something as superficial as outward appearance integral to the character? I know personally in comics where she looks less than typically attractive like in Wonder Woman Dead Earth it almost seems as if I'm reading about someone else. I'm not talking about cheesecake or oversexualization here, I'm talking about good old fashioned fashion, hair and make-up. Would Wonder Woman's queer and female fanbase except anything else?

As a statement on 2021 feminine values versus those of 1942, a lot could be done with Diana's "Beauty of Aphrodite" and how she'd get along without it. Marvel is trying something similar with She-Hulk to a less than excited reception. It's failing there, would it work here?
    I loved Dead Earth, and once I got used to the art style, I thought it was beautiful in the context of that world. That being said, that is not the Wonder Woman I would want in the main DC Earth. Yes, glamour is important to the character and so is wish-fulfillment and inspiration. The same way most superheroes have arms the size of Jupiter and 15 pack abs, Diana needs to be glamourous, smart, and with an enviable career like working at the Smithsonian or the Lourve in the DCEU. There's no reason why she can't have it all.

Personally, I think Diana shouldn't strive to be "glamorous" but instead have an inate splendor. I think Diana should have a bohemian style mostly.

bohemian.jpg

One of the reason I dislike her being an ambassador (beyond her working inside the system rather than remaking it) is the fact that she dresses up in all these typical fancy clothes in aristocratic parties. I'm not opposed to her wearing it in one or two occassions, out of a pure curiosity, but it just feels like a more distant version of her character.

As far as actual physical appearance, I think she should have this incredibly pleasant "natural" face
    2db7cc10f26864e3e65491336e227a002b-alicia-keys.rsquare.w330.jpg

with the powerful body of the woman in a blue dress
    unnamed.jpg
    Last edited by Alpha; 05-03-2021 at 06:45 PM.

Justice Society had the best animated body type in my opinion.

The best body type she has had in comics was probably Eyes of the Gorgon by Drew Johnson (but Darwyn Cooke was also really good)

Eyes gorgon.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    This is pretty cool. Wouldn’t this be an example of her Animal Empathy? Ironically, I remember reading a synopsis of a justice league episode where she and Batman went to new genesis, and they were attacked by a beastly animal. The summary I read said she used her animal empathy in that episode (I’m guessing to calm the beast), but I saw nothing of the sort. Speaking of which, I believe this same episode is where the lasso snapped and broke like a rubber band. I didn’t know anything about Wonder Woman then, but I thought to myself, I’m pretty sure that’s supposed to be unbreakable...
    Sounds like fans putting more thought in a scene than the writers intended.

Main thing that stood out to me in that episode was Diana getting her butt slapped by Lightray and everyone on the League except Superman taking a swig of the stupid juice and decided for trust and come to aide of the all-round trustworthy Darkseid.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I've loved Diana's fashion throughout the films. She's not always glammed to the 9s

[img]https://www.*********.com/files/styles/fbimagesection/public/chris_pine_exclusive_wonder_woman_1984_steve_trevo r_return_not_surprising_social_media_image.jpg?ito k=P3DrIHMF[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I've loved Diana's fashion throughout the films. She's not always glammed to the 9s
    Yeah those outfits you posted I really liked.