Page 26 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: DC on HBO Max

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I'd say all of that is a detriment at this point, but I was speaking more to just the nature of the CW. They're a cheap production, which is fine- not everything needs to be wonderful. STARGIRL warrants better, though.
    Ok if were talking about CW being cheap, yeah I'd agree with that. Sometimes they are ok and I think they've been working on it but yeah I'd agree that the CW show definitely have times where the shows can look cheap.
    Last edited by sifighter; 04-21-2020 at 01:09 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Oh no, no- HBO would not be a good fit. The kinds of stories they seem interested in telling with STARGIRL would not justify the HBO treatment. Still, there's plenty of other quality venues! FX would be a wonderful fit. Luke Wilson is great, and a more idiosyncratic tone would work great for Courtney's adventures.

I'd probably reach a much more diverse audience, on FX too.
    I'm thinking of the new streaming app, which is putting effort into having a wider range of material, including stuff for kids and families. Sorry, should've been more specific about that. Classic, regular HBO would definitely not work.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm thinking of the new streaming app, which is putting effort into having a wider range of material, including stuff for kids and families. Sorry, should've been more specific about that. Classic, regular HBO would definitely not work.
    Oh, HBOMAX? I could for sure see it on that.

I've been holding out all hope for an animated DEADMAN series on that app, that expands those DC Nation shorts.

Are the JSA all children?
    The new JSA are Courtney's classmates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Eh, I mean Stargirl seems well suited for the CW sensibilities. You can get all that idiot teen drama angst out of her and it won't be wildly misplaced like it is with Barry and Ollie. I think the CW is a fine station for her (insofar as the CW is a fine station for anything, it's not exactly quality entertainment) and her powers don't seem beyond their budget capabilities.
    I don't really get that. Unless you can pinpoint to me where the characters were acting like children or like teenagers then I don't see how their drama or angst need to be labeled "teen drama angst" unless you think it's in-line with that kind of style, but I feel like drama has more variety then that.

Just my two cents.
    Oh no, no- HBO would not be a good fit. The kinds of stories they seem interested in telling with STARGIRL would not justify the HBO treatment. Still, there's plenty of other quality venues! FX would be a wonderful fit. Luke Wilson is great, and a more idiosyncratic tone would work great for Courtney's adventures.

I'd probably reach a much more diverse audience, on FX too.
    This really doesn't look like an FX show. I think Disney now owns FX through Fox.
    I'd say all of that is a detriment at this point, but I was speaking more to just the nature of the CW. They're a cheap production, which is fine- not everything needs to be wonderful. STARGIRL warrants better, though.
    The CW makes the most of what they have, but it looks like Stargirl got more of a working budget to go from then the average Arrowverse show.

Fx has made some of my favorite shows, but none of that stuff seems anything like what Stargirl seems to be going for. Legion for example while a superhero show, seemed more in line with the rest of their content. Maybe like Hulu, it has that Runaways show right?

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Fx has made some of my favorite shows, but none of that stuff seems anything like what Stargirl seems to be going for. Legion for example while a superhero show, seemed more in line with the rest of their content. Maybe like Hulu, it has that Runaways show right?
    HULU would fit this tone, surely. Bigger audience there, too.

My FX remark was more me dreaming about STARGIRL if it had been made by FX, more idiosyncratic and interesting. With a strong voice and aesthetic, yet still age appropriate.

And Flash, Green Arrow, Supergirl, and Batwoman don't deserve better? Or the average CW viewer deserves less?

A lot of people, myself included, enjoy the CW shows. All this talk about Stargirl deserving better treatment than the lowly CW, the CW not being "quality" entertainment (isn't the only measure for quality entertainment that it in fact entertains?), and that Stargirl would be better received on a "better" platform is frankly a bit elitist and condescending here. I don't mind that the CW isn't for everyone, it isn't, and it's fine to wish and speculate for it to be on a different network - but please don't put down the shows I choose to watch as if I must be a hormonal teenager to enjoy them.

(Sorry if I took this a bit personally, but I hate this "arbiter of quality" ****.)

You know what, I honestly hope that someday the Arrowverse is put on the DCUniverse app and that they categorize the crossover events. I know its a whole Netflix deal that I could never begin to even understand but I feel like it would do well there and also I feel probably DC's biggest shared tv universe should be made available on DC's app with its original shows and content (I mean come on Krypton is on there, we can't get the Arrowverse).
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    You know what, I honestly hope that someday the Arrowverse is put on the DCUniverse app and that they categorize the crossover events. I know its a whole Netflix deal that I could never begin to even understand but I feel like it would do well there and also I feel probably DC's biggest shared tv universe should be made available on DC's app with its original shows and content (I mean come on Krypton is on there, we can't get the Arrowverse).
    Eh, I feel like the DCUniverse app will be absorbed by HBOMax sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, I feel like the DCUniverse app will be absorbed by HBOMax sooner rather than later.
    Personally I prefer the current payment of $8 a month then $15, plus the comics collection that is available through the DC app is great. If I can access all that on HBO Max then fine but if not I’m gonna continue to support the app.
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I think Disney owns Hulu now too.

Personally I prefer the current payment of $8 a month then $15, plus the comics collection that is available through the DC app is great. If I can access all that on HBO Max then fine but if not I’m gonna continue to support the app.
    Nothing wrong with that, I'm not speaking against the app - just pointing out the obvious fact eventually all the DC shows will go to HBO Max and only the comics will be left on the DCU app at best, but there's a good chance that all of DCU will be gobbled up by its larger sibling. You can hope more DC shows go to the DCU app in the future, but you should prepare yourself that the DCU app might no be a thing in coming years or will only be a platform for the digital comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    And Flash, Green Arrow, Supergirl, and Batwoman don't deserve better? Or the average CW viewer deserves less?

A lot of people, myself included, enjoy the CW shows. All this talk about Stargirl deserving better treatment than the lowly CW, the CW not being "quality" entertainment (isn't the only measure for quality entertainment that it in fact entertains?), and that Stargirl would be better received on a "better" platform is frankly a bit elitist and condescending here. I don't mind that the CW isn't for everyone, it isn't, and it's fine to wish and speculate for it to be on a different network - but please don't put down the shows I choose to watch as if I must be a hormonal teenager to enjoy them.

(Sorry if I took this a bit personally, but I hate this "arbiter of quality" ****.)
    No, the only measure of quality isn't whether or not something is entertaining. I enjoy a lot of stuff that isn't really quality. It's okay to enjoy things, and I think it's okay to critique stuff.

What I said wasn't elitist, nobody here ONLY has access to the CW. Mostly everyone here is watching multiple media from a diverse selection/productions.

As to what other characters deserve (I'm still kind of floored that BATWOMAN was put on the CW), I only say STARGIRL deserves more because it very obviously has a much higher production value. At least judging by the trailers.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 04-21-2020 at 06:47 PM.

I love the app, too. I hope it sticks around past HBOMax, cause honestly it's worth it just for the comics alone.

No, the only measure of quality isn't whether or not something is entertaining. I enjoy a lot of stuff that isn't really quality. It's okay to enjoy things, and I think it's okay to critique stuff.

What I said wasn't elitist, nobody here ONLY has access to the CW. Mostly everyone here is watching multiple media from a diverse selection/productions.

As to what other characters deserve (I'm still kind of floored that BATWOMAN was put on the CW), I only say STARGIRL deserves more because it very obviously has a much higher production value. At least judging by the trailers.
    If you say so, but it definitely came across that way, least to me. Also I don't know about production value, nothing in the trailers so far looked more expensive than what I've seen special effects wise from the CW. I've seen more and better effects on some Flash commercials. Mostly it's some generic effects with the staff and that robot.

And why where you floored the put Batwoman on the CW?