Page 128 of 212 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138178 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 3174

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Monday is the MARVELOUS 80s
    Day 341

Marvel Graphic Novel #27 Emperor Doom
    by Bob Hall
    Cover Date: 1987
    Was that a good story? I remember reading it but, nothing else. I'm not sure how Marvelous the eighties were to me. Sort of a placement period like a try-out for today's shenanigans. Shooter and Layton replacing Stan's Marvel with theirs. Red and white Iron Man, Grey Hulk, Beta Ray Bill and then that other fake Thor. Others too.

Nice cover though. I prefer Gil's above...

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Love this cover above!

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Custodes View Post
    Was that a good story? I remember reading it but, nothing else. I'm not sure how Marvelous the eighties were to me. Sort of a placement period like a try-out for today's shenanigans. Shooter and Layton replacing Stan's Marvel with theirs. Red and white Iron Man, Grey Hulk, Beta Ray Bill and then that other fake Thor. Others too.

For Doom fans, of course. I don't remember all the details, but I do remember enjoying it, even if poor Namor was betrayed Doom, yet again. These old graphic novels, the first Marvel did, were mostly interesting and entertaining. For me, the 70s and early 80s were probably my most marvelous era. By the time this came out, my comic buying was sporadic.

It's hard to outdo Gil Kane.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I thought it was a good story especially if you're a Doom fan.

Not exactly a highlight as far as Doom and Namor's brommance goes though. But Doom is Doom.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post

Not exactly a highlight as far as Doom and Namor's brommance goes though. But Doom is Doom.
    It's pretty much a staple of the Doom - Namor bromance for it to involve some back stabbing / betrayal on one or both their parts.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

For Doom fans, of course. I don't remember all the details, but I do remember enjoying it, even if poor Namor was betrayed Doom, yet again. These old graphic novels, the first Marvel did, were mostly interesting and entertaining. For me, the 70s and early 80s were probably my most marvelous era. By the time this came out, my comic buying was sporadic.

It's hard to outdo Gil Kane.
    I read it too but, don't have it for reference or rereading. :-( Thank you.

signed,
    Your senile friend.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post

I'm never happy when they team up.I don't mind the odd favor back and forth. Just good business from one Nation to another. But, they always end close allegiance with their hands at each others throats.

It's pretty much a staple of the Doom - Namor bromance for it to involve some back stabbing / betrayal on one or both their parts.
    Yup...Damn you Victor Von Doom!!!

Astonishing Member

My only complaint about Grummett is he didn't make Namor pretty. But yes, I also enjoyed this iteration of the Thunderbolts. Fabian Niceza used some Atlanteans we hadn't seen in a quite a while.
    Grummett may not have made him 'pretty', per se...but he didn't exactly make him unattractive either. Actually, back when that run was coming out there was a lot of message board commentary about Grummett's drawing of the male characters--and how impressive their anatomy seemed to be (usually from the rear view, but there were also a couple of occasions where the frontal view was getting attention--I recall one particular splash page of Speed Demon, that generated a bit of fuss. lol)

The shadows on this cover image really serve to highlight Namor's abs, don't they? *L*

Good ol' Stingray is in the background there...although this is the only time I can think of that his face is partly visible through his mask. I'm not sure I like the effect--it makes him a bit creepy.

Astonishing Member

This is a fun story. As others have noted, it is particular good for Doom fans...but also for Wonder Man fans, as he has a particularly prominent role. It is one of my favourites of the graphic novels that I have read.

I'm not sure I agree with your comments on 80s Marvel though. Red-and-white Iron Man is still Iron Man--its still Tony Stark; its just another adjustment to the armour. Even back in the Stan Lee days Tony went through armour changes--neither of his first two suits of armour had any red in them at all, for example. The same is basically true of Grey Hulk--the Hulk had already been through a few personality and intelligence changes over the years by this time. This was just the latest. Beta Ray Bill was around...but Thor was around too; he didn't actually replace him. Thunderstrike DID replace Thor--but that wasn't until the 90s.

Tweaks on the status quo have been a part of the Marvel Universe right from the start. Don't forget that Stan Lee turned Ant-Man into Giant-Man, for example. Or replaced the entire team of "a-list" Avengers with a trio of villains (Hawkeye, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch).

Anyway, back to EMPEROR DOOM...yes, definitely a fun story. And while it might not be a highlight of Namor's career, he does have a decent sized role in it, given the number of characters running around.

365 Days with Namor, Day 341

"Must they thus pollute the rivers ... even the very air they breath?!"

by Reverisco

WARNING! I'm planning on dumping a week of images on you guys to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Grummett may not have made him 'pretty', per se...but he didn't exactly make him unattractive either. Actually, back when that run was coming out there was a lot of message board commentary about Grummett's drawing of the male characters--and how impressive their anatomy seemed to be (usually from the rear view, but there were also a couple of occasions where the frontal view was getting attention--I recall one particular splash page of Speed Demon, that generated a bit of fuss. lol)
    I see I shall have to examine those Thunderbolts issues again. Purely for artistic reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    The shadows on this cover image really serve to highlight Namor's abs, don't they? *L*

Good ol' Stingray is in the background there...although this is the only time I can think of that his face is partly visible through his mask. I'm not sure I like the effect--it makes him a bit creepy.
    It's hard not to highlight Namor's abs -- especially in the speedo.

Hmmm. I have to agree. I prefer the solid, helmet / face plate for Stingray.

Tuesday is THE TANTALIZING 21st CENTURY
    Day 342

Wolverine #45
    by Humberto Ramos
    Cover Date: October 2006

365 Days with Namor, Day 342

Apparently, Namor's vengeance, and manly vengeance, is satisfied by a really good punch.

Wait. "Every ounce of power"??? Ouch!

by Reverisco

Wednesday is THE WILD '90s
    Day 343

Namor the Sub-Mariner #26
    by Jae Lee
    Cover Date: May 1992

365 Days with Namor, Day 343

"...Namor is not the enemy?"

Nixon. Not a Namor fan.
    Wear that badge with honor, your Highness!

by Reverisco

Thursday THE TERRIFIC '30s & '40s
    Day 344

All Winners #15
    by Alex Schomberg
    Cover Date: Spring 1945