Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Pitch a New Sensation Comics Title

Pitch a new direction for the comic that spawned the Amazing Amazon, Wonder Woman!

Go crazy, and have as much creative freedom as you want, as long as it is somewhat related to the WW mythos.

I'd do an Amazon centered title, focusing on the day to day life on Themyscira and how Amazons interact with the DCU as a whole.

More on the magical side of Diana’s mythos. From anywhere of Diana’s villains to the Amazons themselves

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'd probably try to go a little more classic, a bit more wholesome with Diana in contrast with what's become "lady Superman with sword" that most writers seem interested in doing.

yq099Gy.jpg

I feel a lot of writers only remember the character on the right, not the left. I'd try to bring her supporting cast members and sidekicks in to tie her universe together a bit more. Most of all, though, I'd try to make it a bit more fun. I like the warrior Wonder Woman take fine, but that's her "Batgod" to me. It's a lazier shorthand to make the character appear competent when they're a lot more nuanced and interesting than that.

So my focus would be her being a superhero, dealing with her friends, family and significant other should she have one, and creating new antagonists for her to conflict with. I'd also issue a challenge to the artist to give me one crazy request to put in each issue and see how we could work that in, if possible, just for fun. We'd be cancelled before the first issue hits the stands.

I thought the “every issue is a new creative team” previous experiment was neat, but I would stick with a more traditional Action/Detective like title for a new title. Action is currently focused on Metropolis and Detective is focused on Gotham, they’re more “street-level” books in comparison to the “epic” main books. So for Sensation I’d want to focus on something similar: Diana in one particular area. That can be Gateway, London, D.C., or even my personal preference NYC. Just focus on building a city Diana is dedicated to while the main WW title is more fantastical and out there.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I am of two thoughts...one thought is to make it another Diana centric book, cause the girl should have more than one book dammit! If her main title is going to focus on more mythological style stories, then make this one the more traditional super hero style series. Facing off against all the old villains and some new ones, but none that are mythological.
    My other thought is to make it a rotation of Diana's supporting cast...Donna, Cassie, Artemis, Steve, Hippolyta, even stories focusing on Cheetah, Giganta, Veronica Cale...anyone that is within Diana's sphere of influence. This way we could get a four issue Donna story, two issue Hippolyta, five Artemis, three Cheetah...It would also allow for a rotation of creative teams, like Phil Jiminez with Donna Troy, Greg Rucka and Bilquis Evely for Cale...

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I thought the “every issue is a new creative team” previous experiment was neat, but I would stick with a more traditional Action/Detective like title for a new title. Action is currently focused on Metropolis and Detective is focused on Gotham, they’re more “street-level” books in comparison to the “epic” main books. So for Sensation I’d want to focus on something similar: Diana in one particular area. That can be Gateway, London, D.C., or even my personal preference NYC. Just focus on building a city Diana is dedicated to while the main WW title is more fantastical and out there.
    I agree with this wholeheartedly, coupled with what OBrianTallent mentioned about Diana deserving another book about her.

We're never going to get her foes and world elevated until she has more page- and story-time dedicated to her, her foes, her supporting characters, her concepts, and a unique city that thematically fits and reflects and challenges her character.

(At least that's what I've been working on.)
    Last edited by WonderScott; 04-20-2019 at 02:58 PM.

I'd do an alternative street level version of Wonder Woman who may or may not be Diana, with only the rarely used half her powers. The beauty of Aphrodite would allow her look any way a viewer defined beauty, so she'd appear to be any size, shape or race depending on who's looking at her. A gadget from Hephaestus would make her invisible to cameras and all forms of technology which would be great for espionage work. The unity with beasts powers would allow her to control any animal within her immediate vicinity. Sisterhood with fire would make her impervious to heat or flame or explosions. She'd have super-strength only due to the Gauntlet of Atlas and flight thanks to the Sandals of Hermes. I'd bring back the bracelets arsenal and the morphing qualities of the invisible jet, so she'd have several modes of invisible transportation, from motorcycles, to sports cars, to tanks and weapons from flame throwers, machine guns to grenades. The lasso would have it's original mind control powers and she'd use them to devastating effect on super-villains, politicians, dictators and heads of state. The gloves are off at this point and that brings her into conflict with Steve Trevor and Etta Candy, her former super hero community and the United States military as a whole.

The armor and Amazon attire would be substituted with black leather and take her back to S&M roots. She'd have multiple tattoos, no tiara and a retro Bettie Page hairstyle complete with bangs, but the most radical departure would be in her personality. Gone is the sweet and pure princess stopping war with love, now we have a badass, no nonsense, social justice warrior, who brings about peace through war with any means at her disposal.

WW COS TAT 2.jpg WW COS TAT.jpg

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I'd do an alternative street level version of Wonder Woman who may or may not be Diana, with only the rarely used half her powers. The beauty of Aphrodite would allow her look any way a viewer defined beauty, so she'd appear to be any size, shape or race depending on who's looking at her. A gadget from Hephaestus would make her invisible to cameras and all forms of technology which would be great for espionage work. The unity with beasts powers would allow her to control any animal within her immediate vicinity. Sisterhood with fire would make her impervious to heat or flame or explosions. She'd have super-strength only due to the Gauntlet of Atlas and flight thanks to the Sandals of Hermes. I'd bring back the bracelets arsenal and the morphing qualities of the invisible jet, so she'd have several modes of invisible transportation, from motorcycles, to sports cars, to tanks and weapons from flame throwers, machine guns to grenades. The lasso would have it's original mind control powers and she'd use them to devastating effect on super-villains, politicians, dictators and heads of state. The gloves are off at this point and that brings her into conflict with Steve Trevor and Etta Candy, her former super hero community and the United States military as a whole.

The armor and Amazon attire would be substituted with black leather and take her back to S&M roots. She'd have multiple tattoos, no tiara and a retro Bettie Page hairstyle complete with bangs, but the most radical departure would be in her personality. Gone is the sweet and pure princess stopping war with love, now we have a badass, no nonsense, social justice warrior, who brings about peace through war with any means at her disposal.

And then it's not Wonder Woman...you have created a completely different character...

Give Sensation to Shazam and Earth-S(sensation) or let both of them plus other magical heroes have it.

I think making it just one thing may be a mistake. Instead make it something more akin to Action Comics and Detective Comics where its simply a comic meant to focus on Wonder Womans part of the universe and let writers go from there.

In the last few years we have seen Detective Comics used to
    Tell a series of stories about Batmans interactions with the members of the Batfamily
    Show the formation of a Batman led superhero team which also served to establish how people view Batman, flesh out individual members of the Batfamily, and even tell a tale of redemption.
    Tie in to an arc about an evil scientist releasing kaiju onto the city.
    A series of stories about Batman simply taking on various villains with a murder mystery focus
    And showing the formation of a superhero team half consisting of Batfamily members which is going to spin off into its own book.

Make Sensation Comics something thats more malleable and less constrained, and you make it a chance to really add depth and weight to Wonder Womans world.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post

maybe you could do this take with Grace Choi?

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    And then it's not Wonder Woman...you have created a completely different character...
    Were Donna, Hippolyta, Orana or Artemis Wonder Woman? Was Diana Prince during the mod years? Wonder Woman as we know her is a super-heroine, what I've described is an antihero. Why can other heroes evolve and change but not her? All she needs is one bad day.

My proposal really isn't all that radical. Old X-Men fans would recognize it's a WW version of what happened to Storm after she spent too much time in space and partially severed her ties to mother earth. This lead to a reevaluation of her methods and ideals and to a metamorphosis more than cosmetic that made her a better leader of the X-Men as well as a stronger character.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    maybe you could do this take with Grace Choi?
    Exactly! I'd love that and long-term fans wouldn't get upset. I was thinking more of an alternate dimension Diana taking over the mantle, but Grace Choi, Artemis, Nubia, etc. would work well too. It's just something I thought about when I stopped to count how many versions of She-Hulk had held the title since her "Savage" origin story.

There will always be only one Wonder Woman no matter who else takes up the name.