Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Default 4th Namor the Sub-Mariner Advent Calendar

After missing a few years, we are back for a fourth year of sharing some Namor cheer for each of the 24 days until Christmas!

Celebrating Namor's 80th year, the theme for this year's calendar will be:

Favorite Covers!

Or more precisely, my favorite Namor covers. ;p

If you'd like a more commercial Christmas thread, visit Namor75 Celebration Advent Calendar Thread, where there was lots of Namor themed items posted one could collect.

Namor75-The-Advent-Calendar

Or visit The Second Annual Namor the Sub-Mariner Advent Calendar Thread, where the theme was:

The Heroism of Prince Namor the Sub-Mariner, aka All the Times Namor Has Saved Those Ungrateful Airbreathers.
    Second Annual Namor the Sub-Mariner Advent Calendar

The Third Annual Namor the Sub-Mariner Advent Calendar Thread had a great theme -- Subby Slugfests! -- but was a victim of my Christmas overload and wasn't completed. Hopefully I'll be able to revisit it next year.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-02-2019 at 02:21 AM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Default 24 Days to Christmas

24 Days to Christmas

Sub-Mariner (1968) #57
    by Bill Everett
    Cover Date January 1973

Of course, we start with a gorgeous cover by Namor's creator, Bill Everett. This was drawn (and inked, and perhaps even colored) late in Everett's career, but clearly, while at the height of his powers. This has always been one of my favorite covers because it has classic elements, delivers a story that grabs my attention, and the art is so polished, and yet so full of motion. Everett packs every corner of this cover with amazing details, that show his love of the ocean, of mythology, and of his favorite iconic character.

And a quote from Blake Bell, author of the monograph of Bill Everett, Fire & Water: Bill Everett, the Sub-Mariner, and the Birth of Marvel Comics who chose this cover as one of his top ten Everett favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Blake Bell
    The rendering is tight on all three figures, and the scene contains signature 1940s motifs – mad action between the hero and antagonist, whilst the female figure awaits the outcome in bondage. The blacks in the background help accentuate the two main figures but don’t intrude on the overall chaos. You also have to love that Everett has the Sub-Mariner holding off, with his right hand, the sword of the War-God, but also the “snout” of the swordfish with his left. Covers in the 1940s always packed in numerous flourishes for the eye to remain entrenched in the image.
    http://wednesdaysheroes.com/top-10-bill-everett-covers/
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-05-2019 at 09:00 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Awww yeeeah!

Yay to Reviresco! Thanks for the 2019 Advent Calendar. Goodness to follow.

Thank you. Namor is always one of my favorite characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Awww yeeeah!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yay to Reviresco! Thanks for the 2019 Advent Calendar. Goodness to follow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Thank you. Namor is always one of my favorite characters.

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoy the thread, and I'll do my best to keep up and finish it this year.

Default 23 Days to Christmas

23 Days to Christmas

Dark Avengers Uncanny X-Men: Exodus #1 variant
    by Simon Bianchi
    Cover Date November 2009

Whenever I see this cover, I FEEL Namor's punch. It is gorgeous, but it is also completely BAD ASS!

Simon Bianchi is one of my favorite artists, an Italian still living in Italy, a country rich in Classical and Renaissance art, whose influence can be seen in Bianchi's beautiful works with his use of chiaroscuro, perspective, and architectural elements. The subtlety of his ink and watercolor washes often make his non-color work even more appealing than the colored images.

Sadly Bianchi hasn't done many covers with Namor, and this variant cover shows why I think he should do far more. Namor in his iconic green swimming trunks gives Bianchi, a master of anatomy, ample opportunity to demonstrate his expertise. I would love to see what he could do with Atlantis. And given his comment on this cover, I think he'd enjoy doing a Namor book.

Quote Originally Posted by Simone Bianchi
    Still remember I had a BLAST working on this
    I personally LOVE Namor , one of my absolute fav character to draw and paint
    https://www.deviantart.com/simonebia...2009-493523754
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-02-2019 at 11:51 PM.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

I LOVE that Bianchi art so much. Thanks for doing this thread Rev!!! You're amazing
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I'm glad you are doing this again. It almost makes me want to revive my 12 Days of Santa Doom from a few years back

Default 22 Days to Christmas

22 Days to Christmas

Marvel Fanfare #43
    by Mike Mignola and P. Craig Russell
    Cover Date April 1989

How could I resist a time tossed Namor with his Pirate Queen, Patience Drew, drawn by Mike Mignola and inked by P. Craig Russell?! I've always loved the amazing book and magazine illustrators of the turn of the century, and this cover, and the subject matter, harkens back to those great artists, like N.C. Wyeth's Treasure Island and Howard Pyle's Pirates. And look at those ankle wings! Both Mignola and P. Craig Russell have an affinity for clean inked lines, with texture and shading created by line, instead of gradients, like Bianchi. The cover works just as well, if not better, without color -- though the red sashes are eye catching.

Mignola's first pencils were on a previous Namor story he also did with Bill Mantlo called A Fable. According to an interview, he and Mantlo were working on a third collaboration featuring Namor, but instead, some elements went into their Alpha Flight issues. And of course, other elements ended up in the Hellboy story The Third Wish, where Hellboy encountered mermaids. That would have made for an amazing cover ... but not one that has the sheer fun of fantastic adventures that this one does.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I LOVE that Bianchi art so much. Thanks for doing this thread Rev!!! You're amazing
    Awww. Thank you!

And yes. Bianchi's Namor is so good!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I'm glad you are doing this again. It almost makes me want to revive my 12 Days of Santa Doom from a few years back
    You should! There's never enough of Doom, much less Santa Doom!

This is a lot of fun. Thank you for doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Awww. Thank you!

And yes. Bianchi's Namor is so good!

Love today's entry. That issue was included in the recent Triumph and Torment reprint I bought

You should! There's never enough of Doom, much less Santa Doom!
    Thanks for the encouragement! Maybe I will get that one going next week in time for the 12 day countdown

Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post
    This is a lot of fun. Thank you for doing it.
    Glad you are enjoying it! The end of the year always gets me making lists, so of course, I end up thinking of lists for Namor stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement! Maybe I will get that one going next week in time for the 12 day countdown
    All keep my fingers crossed that the holidays allow you to do so. Doom has plenty of motifs and themes so there's plenty of material to work with, even if it isn't a Christmas list. I'm definitely looking forward to a Dining With Doom thread.

Love the issue you picked for this week. For some reason, back in those days the Marvel Feature was hard to find. Maybe I just didn't find it on the shelves at the shop I went to back then. I am glad it was included in the new TPB edition of Triumph and Torment.