Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by dr3821 View Post
    You make some good points. I never thought that the Cosmic Rays actually made Reed SMARTER. Has that ever been confirmed in a comic? If what you say is true, then Reed's actions are brazen and reckless since he, nor Ben, were ever meant to pilot that rocket.

Any theories on who that group might be?
    As far as confirming Reed is smarter after becoming stretchy, it was stated somewhere Reed stretches his brain and head to have more thinking power and so works out problems that way. I even saw a pic of Reed stretching up to a big head to work out a problem.

As for the secret group, yeah. The Conspiracy. It was a 2 issue mini, and the group was made up of powerful business and military types, (Sikorski and Thunderbolt Ross were two), who started the experiment to make super people. No one says anything about that now, because the MU is what it is now, and you can’t reverse it, but these guys from the Conspiracy look like the most likely culprits. If you were to analyse the what and why about The Conspiracy, too many things were going on in the Monster Age that could have wiped out the Earth, and Man on the Wall Nick Fury had his hands full. There were plenty of selfless type normals who jumped in when Groot and his like rampaged around, but The Conspiracy could have determined it would be easier to just activate these normal humans and make them super normal. Just my theory.
    Last edited by jackolover; 06-08-2018 at 11:30 PM.

Speaking of Reed Richards stretching his body parts, after reading these early issues, I wonder if Reed uses his power to make himself more handsome.

If you compare the way Reed looks in these early issues (basically an average looking guy) and the movie-star handsome Reed of later eras with great bone-structure, I have to think Reed PURPOSEFULLY makes himself look more manly by slightly stretching his facial muscles and bones. Would Reed do this? I think John Byrne strongly hinted to this in his run. What do you all think?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Speaking of Reed Richards stretching his body parts, after reading these early issues, I wonder if Reed uses his power to make himself more handsome.

If you compare the way Reed looks in these early issues (basically an average looking guy) and the movie-star handsome Reed of later eras with great bone-structure, I have to think Reed PURPOSEFULLY makes himself look more manly by slightly stretching his facial muscles and bones. Would Reed do this? I think John Byrne strongly hinted to this in his run. What do you all think?
    I've always wondered that myself. The simple answer is that Kirby's art became more sophisticated once his workload at Marvel was decreased as Stan hired more artists. Joe Sinnot as his regular inker helped although IMO I thought Vince Colletta gave the faces a less harsh look. But a lot of Kirby fans hate that pairing because Colletta had a controversial reputation for cutting corners to meet a deadline. At first Kirby didn't mind since they were all working at a fast pace in those days. But some years later on, others convinced him not to have Colletta assigned to his work.

They haven't used his ability to disguise himself lately but IIRC Reed did change his looks deliberately in Byrne's run when he and Sue briefly moved to the suburbs. Sue would wear a wig and Reed just re-arranged his face. He did it again years later when they took
    Franklin to get enrolled in a private school. BTW, nothing came of that unfortunately. And that is one good thing they did in the last Fox FF movie in 2015. There was a scene were Reed was on the run from the military and he was using his powers to disguise his face.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    As far as confirming Reed is smarter after becoming stretchy, it was stated somewhere Reed stretches his brain and head to have more thinking power and so works out problems that way. I even saw a pic of Reed stretching up to a big head to work out a problem.

As for the secret group, yeah. The Conspiracy. It was a 2 issue mini, and the group was made up of powerful business and military types, (Sikorski and Thunderbolt Ross were two), who started the experiment to make super people. No one says anything about that now, because the MU is what it is now, and you can’t reverse it, but these guys from the Conspiracy look like the most likely culprits. If you were to analyse the what and why about The Conspiracy, too many things were going on in the Monster Age that could have wiped out the Earth, and Man on the Wall Nick Fury had his hands full. There were plenty of selfless type normals who jumped in when Groot and his like rampaged around, but The Conspiracy could have determined it would be easier to just activate these normal humans and make them super normal. Just my theory.
    Yeah, I first heard this thought in the 1980's. Not sure if it is true, but it does make sense in a comic sort of way and could explain all of the ingenius devices Reed made from that point onward.

If true, then Reed should be the smartest person in the MU.

All-New Member

Awesome! I want to start doing this, although I am not sure if I am going to start with the first volume yet or not. And oh no! the reprint for vol 1 doesnt come out till August =(. I am new to Fantastic four, haven't read anything other than Hickman's run but that is one of my all time favorite books so I want to go back and learn the history of FF. I am also loving the current Marvel 2in1 series!

Quote Originally Posted by Autobot Tran View Post
    Awesome! I want to start doing this, although I am not sure if I am going to start with the first volume yet or not. And oh no! the reprint for vol 1 doesnt come out till August =(. I am new to Fantastic four, haven't read anything other than Hickman's run but that is one of my all time favorite books so I want to go back and learn the history of FF. I am also loving the current Marvel 2in1 series!
    Start from the beginning, if you can. I think you might like it. Also, it gives perspective and appreciation for where the characters were and then as they grow and develop.

Powers-wise, the FF have had many increases through all the years, and it is best appreciated when you read about their limits in stories and then when/how the increases happen.

You may even see some early power usages of Reed, Susan and Johnny that then disappeared for years and then later reappeared.

Very interesting reading lies ahead for you! Enjoy!

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

The Thing is drawn more gruesome here, still rocky but in a different way from what I'm used to.
    Yeah, and issue 2's close-up drawing of The Thing makes it more apparent that he has yet to be drawn with a more consistent pattern on him. The "roundish-square" pattern is drawn in such a way that it appears purposely unfinished as some of the lines that would otherwise connect the squares all the way are absent. He looks as if he's sort of melting as well.

Last edited by Electricmastro; 11-17-2019 at 08:49 PM.