Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    But how do I get it to sync with my PS4?
    once you've made all your Keep choice, you want to click the option that says "Export to DAI", then it'll let you save your world-state.

Whenever you fire up your PS4 to play, there should be an option to sign into your Origin/EA account. Once you do that, and then start a new game of DAI, it should then ask if you want to import your Keep settings.

If you've already started a game... you're kind of out of luck, because then it'll just pick the "default" choices for all those past events. (Dalish Female Warden from first game, etc). So you'll need to start a new game to be able to take advantage of Keep.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Just saw this, the combat looks even worse than I was thinking.

Also seems to take a while before you're actually doing anything.
    Everything about that video, from slow and hesitant the way the guy was playing, to stupid captions he added and how he placed music over the game's actual audio, was pretty obviously designed to make the game look bad, or convince a viewer that they wouldn't enjoy it. Biased, much? Completely.

Just drop it already. You aren't fooling anyone here but yourself. Anyone can make a new AAA release look good or bad with some clever editing and commentary.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Endless_Legend View Post
    Everything about that video, from slow and hesitant the way the guy was playing, to stupid captions he added and how he placed music over the game's actual audio, was pretty obviously designed to make the game look bad, or convince a viewer that they wouldn't enjoy it. Biased, much? Completely.

Just drop it already. You aren't fooling anyone here but yourself. Anyone can make a new AAA release look good or bad with some clever editing and commentary.
    The things that make it look bad are the combat, and that the game not having you really do anything at all. There's no clever editing or trickery making that first enemy encounter (or any of the others) look terrible, or making the combat look bad.

The player also doesn't seem to be playing it slowly at all, they're moving right along to the next thing the whole video.
    Last edited by simbob4000; 11-21-2014 at 07:02 PM.

We've known what the combat would look like for months, and have had much longer and better put together demonstration videos directly from Bioware, some overly edited video of the first little bit of the tutorial stage on a computer that can barely run the game shouldn't be enough to sway your opinion one way or another.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    We've known what the combat would look like for months, and have had much longer and better put together demonstration videos directly from Bioware, some overly edited video of the first little bit of the tutorial stage on a computer that can barely run the game shouldn't be enough to sway your opinion one way or another.
    Yeah, I know we've known what it looked like for months. Hell, I was the one to post the first PAX (or wherever it was) gameplay footage on the old forum when it first went up. But those demos, while still not making the combat look great, also made it look somewhat like the tactual view had a use and that the combat wasn't as bad as it is.

The combat in that video isn't edited to make it look bad...it's actually the opposite of the BioWare trailer that edits the crap out of the combat to make it look like some solo completely straight action game. That video shows full uncut combat encounters in which the player stands still, auto-locks onto an enemy, and shoots the enemy with little to no hit impact until they've won the fight. The first enemy encounter where he's standing perfectly still and shooting an enemy point blank with the bow is atrocious, and the combat never seems to rise above that level of banality.

The pax video was over a year ago during early alpha, what a shock that it didn't accurately reflect the finished product, you know unlike that half hour of footage released at E3 this year that's virtually unchanged.

Several of the video's complaints are actually directly addressed by abilities, such as locational damage and mobility, which you know is why you don't base your opinion on a game from the first little bit of the tutorial stage, gameplay with half of a party and 2 abilities is not reflective of what the majority of the game is. And this is just for the archer class, if you don't like that play style, there's 4 or 5 more.

BANNED

The pax video was over a year ago during early alpha, what a shock that it didn't accurately reflect the finished product, you know unlike that half hour of footage released at E3 this year that's virtually unchanged.

Several of the video's complaints are actually directly addressed by abilities, such as locational damage and mobility, which you know is why you don't base your opinion on a game from the first little bit of the tutorial stage, gameplay with half of a party and 2 abilities is not reflective of what the majority of the game is. And this is just for the archer class, if you don't like that play style, there's 4 or 5 more.
    The video from a year ago made it look better than the finished game, which is what I said, so what's your point?

I've seen more of it than just the tutorial part, what that person is doing still works hours into the game. You don't seem to need mobility because the combat is so bad. By location damage do you mean you get a lock-on "headshot" skill that always hits, or that there's a skill that makes you have to aim manually like the game seems to need to have for all bow shooting?

Melee combat looks just as bad and mindless as the archer stuff.

Put about 25 hours into it so far. I'm enjoying the game overall but I haven't come across any parts where I've made an actual decision yet aside from turning down potential party members. Quests are all MMO style "gather this" and "kill that" stuff. Dialogue is rarely a factor outside of your camp. No talking your way through/out of situations, no puzzles to solve, no alternate paths (stealth, diplomacy, brute force, etc) through quests. Some of these may pop up later on, but to have none of it for 25 hours doesn't make me think it'll ever be a huge factor.

Like I said, the actual gameplay is fun (if shallow), but know what you're getting into. DAI is an action game with some light RPG elements, don't expect much depth or complexity from it.

BANNED

After about ten hours, I'm enjoying the exploration and I'm impressed by the size and openness. But the combat is horrible, its impossible to know if I'm even hitting someone, and I'm constantly swinging while my enemy wanders off elsewhere. And the ability tree is shallow and weak, far inferior to both previous versions of the game.

I'm not entirely sure why they stripped all of the tactical options from the game.

How did we go from this?
    http://modsreloaded.com/downloads/bo...n65kbicm63.jpg
    http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...il-tactics.jpg

To this?
    http://boo.digitalchumps.com/images/...a_leveling.jpg

Now you have to babysit your characters all the damn time because you can't do anything with their (terrible) AI. It might not be so bad if tactical cam wasn't completely terrible...but it is. It's sad to see how dumbed down the combat's become. If they were going to go this route, they should have taken a look at Dragon's Dogma to see how it's done properly.
    Last edited by Xero Kaiser; 11-25-2014 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    Put about 25 hours into it so far. I'm enjoying the game overall but I haven't come across any parts where I've made an actual decision yet aside from turning down potential party members. Quests are all MMO style "gather this" and "kill that" stuff. Dialogue is rarely a factor outside of your camp. No talking your way through/out of situations, no puzzles to solve, no alternate paths (stealth, diplomacy, brute force, etc) through quests. Some of these may pop up later on, but to have none of it for 25 hours doesn't make me think it'll ever be a huge factor.

Like I said, the actual gameplay is fun (if shallow), but know what you're getting into. DAI is an action game with some light RPG elements, don't expect much depth or complexity from it.
    the major decisions are there, though you've probably come across them at this point. Basically every major story mission involves some sort of major decision(s), Hell the first one becomes available almost immediately after the Hinterlands, the large area maps are very mmo styled questing though(and there have been several puzzle oriented dungeons I've run across), I've found the hours played part doesn't really factor into game progression, I'm nearly at 80 hours into it and I've just completed my first post Skyhold major story map(completionist + gigantic game)

and frankly the Orlessian ball is a pretty incredible map

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    After about ten hours, I'm enjoying the exploration and I'm impressed by the size and openness. But the combat is horrible, its impossible to know if I'm even hitting someone, and I'm constantly swinging while my enemy wanders off elsewhere. And the ability tree is shallow and weak, far inferior to both previous versions of the game.
    You know you're hitting someone by the combat text rising over the enemy's head displaying how much damage you're doing, and since I'm assuming you're talking about the warrior class, simply pressing your movement key/joystick in the direction of the enemy causes you to do a lunging attack helping close the distance, anything more get the harpoon talent.

Every playstyle had about 2 talent trees that are useful plus the specialization tree, that's about 25-30 possible talents which is enough to get you around level 25-30 without running out of places to put talent points, which is roughly the same as Origins or DA2, and for origin Rogues that included dumping 4 talent points into lockpicking or stealth

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    I'm not entirely sure why they stripped all of the tactical options from the game.

How did we go from this?
    http://modsreloaded.com/downloads/bo...n65kbicm63.jpg
    http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...il-tactics.jpg

To this?
    http://boo.digitalchumps.com/images/...a_leveling.jpg

Now you have to babysit your characters all the damn time because you can't do anything with their (terrible) AI. It might not be so bad if tactical cam wasn't completely terrible...but it is. It's sad to see how dumbed down the combat's become. If they were going to go this route, they should have taken a look at Dragon's Dogma to see how it's done properly.
    They didn't, they split it into two pages, the one you're posting is general behavior, the tactics page is where you set ability priority, and I enjoy the fact that you have access to all of the abilities instead of having to put a once every 4 level talent point into the tactic skill for characters that didn't use Cunning as a stat(Warriors tended to have a pathetically small tactics list)
    Last edited by Hiromi; 11-27-2014 at 07:27 AM.

They didn't, they split it into two pages, the one you're posting is general behavior, the tactics page is where you set ability priority, and I enjoy the fact that you have access to all of the abilities instead of having to put a once every 4 level talent point into the tactic skill for characters that didn't use Cunning as a stat(Warriors tended to have a pathetically small tactics list)
    You can't do anything on the other page aside from enabling/disabling skills. You can't tell them what kind of enemies to prioritize, when to cast certain spells (cast spell "x" on ranged enemies, cast spell "y" on groups of 3 or more, etc), what range to stay at during combat and so on. All the depth has been stripped out.

Maybe I wasn't paying much attention, bu I never found the tactics management all that deep in the first place.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Whatever word you want to use, the fact is you used to be able set up extremely detailed guidelines for your characters to follow for whatever strategy/encounter you had in mind and Bioware completely ripped that out of game. And it's not as if the AI is so good that it doesn't need direction anymore. Archers pull themselves into melee range, mages are too stupid to put distance between themselves and whatever's hitting them in the face, tanks stand there and stare off into the distance. Having to constantly hold your party member's hands is tiring, especially on harder difficulties.

i think the game is fantastic and for once i'll say that i think it's too big/open, i actually lose incentive to do things because there are just so many other things that can be done at anytime i lose focus, and it's long.. i mean really long. i haven't finish a playthrough yet, but the game is massive compared to the previous 2. loving it through, i hope the first thing they do is patch up the bugs. Then after fixing the bugs maybe add a few features that could help improve game quality, like customization options for races, and a face export/import feature, and improved tactical cam, sometimes it gets stuck or doesn't zoom right in some places.
    And now I finally arrived.