Page 2 of 85 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Face it Tiger...you just hit a new Appreciation Thread for a New Year .

Hoping 2019 continues the current positive momentum for Mary Jane on all fronts .

BANNED

The big thing is ''Spider-Man: Far From Home" and Mary Jane isn't in that, so this year will be comics alone.

Something that's been occupying me is the Peter/MJ love story and the volume of content it generated.

What I mean is how many issues have Peter and Mary Jane in a relationship and across all titles, all continuities. What I mean by relationship, is dating/seeing one another/sleeping with one another, married to one another or "going steady" and being exclusive and so on.

Amazing Spider-Man
    1) Peter and MJ are a couple from Issues #142-#192 when they broke up the first time. (50 issues)
    2) Peter and MJ get engaged and married from #292 to #545. (253 issues)
    3) Peter and MJ are a couple again from #802 onwards but as of now issue #12 is out (12 issues).
    Total:315 Issues

Spectacular Spider-Man
    1) Peter and MJ are a couple until Issue #27 during their first relationship (27 issues)
    2) Peter and MJ are married between #131 to #263 (End of Vol. 1), (132 issues)
    3) Peter and MJ are married for Paul Jenkins entire 27 issue run in Vol. 2 (27 issues)
    Total: 186 Issues

Marvel Team-Up
    1) Peter and MJ are a couple in the Post-Conway era and she appears in 12 Issues.
    2) Peter and MJ are married in Vol. 2 which goes for 11 issues.
    3) Peter and MJ are married for 25 issues.
    Total: 48 Issues

Annuals and One Shots and Miniseries
    Amazing: 14 Annuals (Vol. 1 from 1987-2007), 3 Annuals (Vol. 2 from 1999-2004): (17)
    Spectacular: 7 Annuals (From #7-#14), (7)
    Sensational Spider-Man Annual #1 (To Have and to Hold) (1)
    Total: 25 Issues

Miniseries and One-Shots: Parallel Lives, Hobgoblin Lives, Soul of the Hunter, Spider-Man: Blue, Revenge of the Green Goblin, The Final Adventure, Web of Romance, Spider-Man/Human Torch Issue #5,
    Total: 8 Issues

Web of Spider-Man: Peter and MJ are married from #32-129 when it ended and go rebranded as Web of Scarlet Spider (97 Issues)
    Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man: Peter and MJ are married for entire 24 Issue Run of Vol. 1 (24 Issues)
    Marvel Knights: Spider Man/Sensational Spider-Man: Peter and MJ are married for 41 Issues (41 Issues)
    Peter Parker Spider-Man: Vol.1 (98 Issues) and Vol. 2 (57) both showed a married Peter and MJ (155 Issues).
    Spider-Man Unlimited (12 Issues, multiple volumes showing the marriage)

So that's totally 911 Issues across all Spider-Man titles in the core 616 Canon Continuity showing Peter and Mary Jane Watson in a relationship (dating/marriage). Which has to be crazy because that's the biggest most documented relationship and romance not only in Spider-Man but across all comics. Superman and Lois for instance are only in a relationship in a regular sense in the Post-Crisis era and that hasn't generated the same amount of content by any means. I am sure that there's stuff I am missing.

Alternate Continuities

Superman Vs. The Amazing Spider-Man (First AU title) : 1 issue
    Spider-Girl: 130 Issues
    Renew Your Vows: 23 Issues

Ultimate Spider-Man
    - Peter and MJ are dating from Issue #13- Issue #32 (First Breakup), 20 Issues
    - Peter and MJ are dating from Issue #42- Issue #77 (Second Breakup), 35 Issues
    - Peter and MJ are dating from Issue #105- Issue #133 Ultimatum, end of Volume 1 (they break-up in time-skip between two volumes) - 28 Issues
    - Annual #3 (broke up between Annuals 1 and 2)
    - Peter an MJ are dating from Issue #155 to end of Vol. 3, Death of Spider-Man in 160 - 6 Issues
    - Peter and MJ reunited some time before the opening arc of the Return of Ultimate Peter - 7 Issues
    - Spider-Men II, final issue, shows Peter and MJ sitll together:
    TOTAL: 97 Issues showing them in a relationship.

So 251 issues of AU versions showing Peter and MJ together.

There's also the Spider-Man Newspaper Strip where Peter and MJ were dating for a while before their marriage in 1987, which is 30 Plus Years...published daily 365 days a year...not including leap years...which makes it huge.

A roundabout way of saying...Peter and Mary Jane is the greatest love story in comics, with simply more content dedicated to showing them in a relationship, with most of it showing them married. Far more so than Lois and Clark...
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 01-04-2019 at 12:59 AM. Reason: change

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    So that's totally 911 Issues across all Spider-Man titles in the core 616 Canon Continuity showing Peter and Mary Jane Watson in a relationship (dating/marriage). Which has to be crazy because that's the biggest most documented relationship and romance not only in Spider-Man but across all comics. Superman and Lois for instance are only in a relationship in a regular sense in the Post-Crisis era and that hasn't generated the same amount of content by any means. I am sure that there's stuff I am missing.
    I'm not sure about pages of content, but there is another candidate: Diana Palmer and Kit Walker (The Phantom). Diana was introduced in the very first daily strip in 1936, before even The Phantom himself, and they've been depicted as a couple since then. They were engaged and married in 1977, and their twin children were born in 1979. For the Nordic market over 1,600 issues has been published (part American material, part own production).

The big thing is ''Spider-Man: Far From Home" and Mary Jane isn't in that, so this year will be comics alone.
    Nan desu ka?
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

The big thing is ''Spider-Man: Far From Home" and Mary Jane isn't in that
    Michelle is a tsundre version of MJ and has her initials. Likely she'll have a journey with Peter that will gradually make her more in synch with the one we're used to in Far From Home

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Pretty - where's that from?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Pretty - where's that from?
    Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man#1, out next week

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man#1, out next week
    Oh, cool - variant, I assume.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I'd just like to tip my hat to the "MJ just wants some bread" meme from the Into the Spider-Verse movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Oh, cool - variant, I assume.
    No, it's from the interior pages.

Love that bread one. Funny and heartwarming at the same time (but with no context MJ might think Peter is having some sort of bread issues) "I forgot to pick up bread one time in the supermarket..."

Also I saw a black and white version of that full splash page posted. I enjoy seeing the art process including the rough sketch, ink, coloring, extra details, and then words. To see the art in process can help others learn how the artist works plus take them for references and tips in learning how to make art as well.

When looking only at the half of the color picture to me it appears like a cover with Peter swinging away and a white line separating some windows of his life and people around him. The open spaces for the title and other such as barcodes. Seeing the full picture I now see he is swinging forward towards and the white line is really his web line. That one white line cutting in is the only part I think that could of had some small tiny lines in it to represented a webline vs a pure white line in a otherwise extremely detailed and beautifully made artwork and well made and done for all characters presented in Peter's life and time periods in his memories.
    Last edited by AngelJD; 01-04-2019 at 08:11 AM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Michelle is a tsundre version of MJ and has her initials. Likely she'll have a journey with Peter that will gradually make her more in synch with the one we're used to in Far From Home
    Would certainly be weird to have tom holland's spidey starts dating another mj in a few years, instead of just making the Zendaya one more like the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Would certainly be weird to have tom holland's spidey starts dating another mj in a few years, instead of just making the Zendaya one more like the comics.
    Which one? 616, 1610, 65, PS4 . . ?

I like how the Spidey: School's Out just made her an updated version of Glory. Was a lot more believable for me .