Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member DetectiveStrange's Avatar

I edited my list to include a couple of titles I forgot like Brave & Bold, sci-fi anthologies, Bat-characters, and more, taking it to the top 100 longest running titles (unless, of course, if I forgot something!)

Thanks for the catch Jim Kelly! Looks like we had different Flash totals "married guy" - it's certainly possible I've made mistakes in my totals and that I'm off in a few places. However, I don't think I'm off anywhere by too much, so I think this gives us a sense of where things are. I used mainly DC.Fandom.com and researched the various series, but didn't include annuals or special issues.

One question is what to do with a series that separates into two books. For example, when Green Lantern was relaunched as Green Lantern Corps in 1986, but continued the numbering of GL, should we include that GLC relaunch as part of the GL legacy numbering? Or should it be counted with later GLC titles, like the one launched in 2006?

Another question arises with Teen Titans and Legion, and whether two ongoings should be counted together or not - like the Legion series . You'd think the answer would be no, but then when you get into legacy titles and rebranding and reprints, things get complicated....

And I certainly agree with CaptCleghorn, that Flash should be next for a fourth legacy renumbering!
    Last edited by DetectiveStrange; 04-17-2019 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetectiveStrange View Post
    One question is what to do with a series that separates into two books. For example, when Green Lantern was relaunched as Green Lantern Corps in 1986, but continued the numbering of GL, should we include that GLC relaunch as part of the GL legacy numbering? Or should it be counted with later GLC titles, like the one launched in 2006?
    Green Lantern Corps was basically a title change. No different than it going to Green Lantern/Green Arrow. Or Superman / Adventures of Superman after Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Green Lantern Corps was basically a title change. No different than it going to Green Lantern/Green Arrow. Or Superman / Adventures of Superman after Crisis.
    True, which is why I included it - I guess I just also wanted to include it with the later GLC titles as well. But yeah, it's just a title change.

Another question arises with Teen Titans and Legion, and whether two ongoings should be counted together or not - like the Legion series . You'd think the answer would be no, but then when you get into legacy titles and rebranding and reprints, things get complicated....
    What Marvel did (back in 1968, which carried over to Legacy) was assign the numbering to one of the two books involved. Captain America counted Tales of Suspense and started at issue 100. Iron Man, who shared Suspense with Cap, started with a new #1. To this day Tony's legacy numbering is roughly 100 behind Cap's. For a DC example, you wouldn't count Green Lantern/Green Arrow as part of Green Arrow's run.

Titans and Teen Titans when they co-exist should be counted as two different books. Tales of the Teen Titans doesn't count as it ran alongside New Teen Titans.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Retired

The thing is when Green Arrow co-starred in GREEN LANTERN, they never changed the title in the indicia. It was still GREEN LANTERN. Which is different from THE ATOM, as a point of comparison. When Hawkman became a part of that title, it was now THE ATOM & HAWKMAN. It's like GL and GA were only living common law, but when Atom and Hawkman shacked up together, the marriage was legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

Titans and Teen Titans when they co-exist should be counted as two different books. Tales of the Teen Titans doesn't count as it ran alongside New Teen Titans.
    That's certainly reasonable, and that's what I lean towards - but what if we thought of it like a bimonthly book, with plots that intertwine, by the same creative team, effectively telling one larger story?

That's certainly reasonable, and that's what I lean towards - but what if we thought of it like a bimonthly book, with plots that intertwine, by the same creative team, effectively telling one larger story?
    When we talk about Tales of the Legion of Super-Heroes and Legion of Super Heroes as the baxter first run and the Tales book as being the reprint a year later, we can't count the same story twice. Well, we shouldn't. A situation like with Legion of Super Heroes and Legionnaires might work for that. But if we're not counting Action with Superman or Detective with Batman, that would set a bad precedent.

The closest thing to a right answer is whatever DC does. It seems they have considerable leeway in how they choose to number series together and some of the rules that were in place back in the 60s and 70s (which I wish I knew more about) are no longer in play.

FYI, I've updated my list to include the top 100 longest running DC titles.

I opted not to include licensed titles based off of real people (like Bob Hope's comic); titles that are published by DC but not part of the DC Multiverse in any way (like Fables); or titles that are published by DC and sometimes cross over with its characters, but are not really part of the DCU (like Scooby Doo).

Retired

Figuring out what counts and what doesn't for the Legion of Super-Heroes is a hard one. Disregarding their runs in ADVENTURE COMICS and ACTION COMICS, the first book actually called LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES ran for only three issues and was all reprints. They appeared in SUPERBOY which then became SUPERBOY AND THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES which then became LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES which then became TALES OF THE LEGION which then became TALES OF THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES. Oh boy. And from there it doesn't get any easier with L.E.G.I.O.N. (plus year) and LEGION and LEGION LOST. It's a mess. For those us trying to figure out how to file our comics so we can easily find them, it's a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Figuring out what counts and what doesn't for the Legion of Super-Heroes is a hard one. Disregarding their runs in ADVENTURE COMICS and ACTION COMICS, the first book actually called LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES ran for only three issues and was all reprints. They appeared in SUPERBOY which then became SUPERBOY AND THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES which then became LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES which then became TALES OF THE LEGION which then became TALES OF THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES. Oh boy. And from there it doesn't get any easier with L.E.G.I.O.N. (plus year) and LEGION and LEGION LOST. It's a mess. For those us trying to figure out how to file our comics so we can easily find them, it's a nightmare.
    Yeah, I hear ya. It gets tricky. I counted Adventure Comics, Superboy (which was renamed), Legion of Super-Heroes (which was renamed), L.E.G.I.O.N., and Legionnaires each as separate titles.

The weirdest one for me was the various All-Star Comics, because DC decided to continue the numbering from the JSA All-Star issues when they relaunched in the 70s, ignoring the fact that the title actually continued as All-Star Western (as pointed out earlier in the thread). I decided to include all the All-Star series together, regardless of the renumbering.
    Last edited by DetectiveStrange; 04-17-2019 at 10:12 AM.

As much as DC purists may dislike the idea, marvel has done considerably more legacy renumbering collections and their examples should be looked at to see what works and what doesn't (and the last two will vary per person).

For DC, Legion (Superboy) and Doom Patrol (My Greatest Adventure) are, I think, the only two titles who took over a title and had it branded as their own. In those cases, Marvel continued the numbering of those books and added future counts to that. Looking at Marvel's Dr Strange his taking the numbering of the Strange Tales book and his self named series being added to that for legacy purposes was done. His appearances in books like marvel premiere and the second Strange Tales did not. This goes with Legion adding onto Superboy but not having their Adventure stories count.

Is Marvel's the right way? YMMV on that, but if you want to develop numbering seeing how they did it is certainly an interesting exercise.

I also stand by my Legion assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    As much as DC purists may dislike the idea, marvel has done considerably more legacy renumbering collections and their examples should be looked at to see what works and what doesn't (and the last two will vary per person).

For DC, Legion (Superboy) and Doom Patrol (My Greatest Adventure) are, I think, the only two titles who took over a title and had it branded as their own. In those cases, Marvel continued the numbering of those books and added future counts to that. Looking at Marvel's Dr Strange his taking the numbering of the Strange Tales book and his self named series being added to that for legacy purposes was done. His appearances in books like marvel premiere and the second Strange Tales did not. This goes with Legion adding onto Superboy but not having their Adventure stories count.

Is Marvel's the right way? YMMV on that, but if you want to develop numbering seeing how they did it is certainly an interesting exercise.

I also stand by my Legion assessment.
    Yeah, I'd definitely follow Marvel's lead on legacy numbering if I was in charge of DC. No question.

In terms of title rebranding, Sgt. Rock took over from Our Army At War and The Unknown Soldier took over from Star-Spangled War Stories.
    Last edited by DetectiveStrange; 04-17-2019 at 10:19 AM.

Retired

A BATMAN 1000 or a SUPERMAN 1000 would likely be the easiest to pull off. But those characters don't really need it--because they already got 1000s and are DC's most popular characters already. I'd like to see it done for the lesser characters or series--for the sake of promotion if nothing else. A 500 for SGT. ROCK or a 600 for ADVENTURE COMICS would be the kind of milestone issues that I'd want most--and seem possible (if not probable) within my lifetime.

None of the books are going to reasonably make 1000 because no other books besides Detective and Action have been published (mostly) continually since then.

Everything else has pretty much been cancelled or renamed to many times to get there.

What I would like to see is 80th Anniversary Specials for some of the classic books. Basically a #1000 issue for books like Adventure Comics, Sensation Comics, and All-Star Comics.

No numbering shenanigans needed. Just cool Specials featuring all kinds of stories with characters that featured in those books.
    Batman - Daredevil

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    A BATMAN 1000 or a SUPERMAN 1000 would likely be the easiest to pull off. But those characters don't really need it--because they already got 1000s and are DC's most popular characters already. I'd like to see it done for the lesser characters or series--for the sake of promotion if nothing else. A 500 for SGT. ROCK or a 600 for ADVENTURE COMICS would be the kind of milestone issues that I'd want most--and seem possible (if not probable) within my lifetime.
    Sgt. Rock needs 56 more issues to reach 500, and Adventure Comics 71 for 600 - that’d be pretty cool indeed!

If DC continues to publish these titles monthly, and not switch to publishing them twice a month, here’s about how long it’d take to reach 1000:

Batman 832 - 168 more issues to go (14 years to go)
    Superman 830 - 170 more to go (14 years and 2 months)
    Justice League 746 - 254 more to go (21 years and 2 months)
    Wonder Woman 733 - 267 more to go (22 years and 3 months)
    Flash 728 - 272 more to go (22 years and 6 months)
    Green Lantern 617 - 383 more to go (31 years and 9 months)

With the exception of Teen Titans, the next tier of titles closest to 1000 are less likely to get there, because they’re not always published - we could go years at a time without a Superboy book, and unfortunately I don’t foresee a monthly Sgt. Rock coming out in the near future. IF DC were to suddenly start publishing all these titles below continuously until they reached 1000, here’s how long, roughly, it would take:

Adventure Comics 529 - 471 more to go (39 years and 3 months)
    Superboy 504 - 496 more to go (41 years and 3 months)
    World’s Finest 455 - 545 more to go (45 years and 5 months)
    [the above includes Superman/Batman titles in numbering]
    Sgt. Rock 444 - 556 more to go (46 years and 3 months)
    Teen Titans 430 - 570 more to go (47 years and 6 months)