Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default "Wonder Woman: Challenge of the Amazons" board game coming in March

Last edited by Hypo; 02-18-2020 at 04:59 PM.

Intersting…. Yep has a page already:
    https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardg...llenge-amazons

and a gameplay demo:
    https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread...lay-watch-it-p

Manufacturer's website:
    https://www.ravensburger.us/discover...man/index.html

Sounds.. interesting?

Artemis makes the cover but not Donna and Cassie?

Incredible Member

Looks interesting. Characters are Diana, Artemis,Phillipus, Nubia, and Mala. No Hippolyta? Donna and Cassie would be nice too. Maybe there's a possibility for an expansion kit with other characters to explain why some higher profile ones could be missing?

Weird, I might have to pick this up.

It reminds me of a game called Spirit Island.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 02-18-2020 at 07:56 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Not thrilled...

And there are other issues. How Nubia and Artemis are featured, while Hippolyta and Aphrodite or Athena (or both) are not ..makes no sense to me. There should be some simple accelerator pieces in the game, like a Pegasus or the Invisible Plane, to help you recover from a loss ..or advance your position, on the board. How about powers, like mental radio or the magic sphere, which could be won or traded, over the course of the game? Furthermore, there are too many rules and moving pieces to keep up with.

Thanks, ..but, I'll pass.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Not much of a gamer myself, but I'll see if the local board gaming club picks it up.

No idea why some characters are chosen over others, but I wouldn't be surprised if licensing is heavily involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Not thrilled...

And there are other issues. How Nubia and Artemis are featured, while Hippolyta and Aphrodite or Athena (or both) are not ..makes no sense to me. There should be some simple accelerator pieces in the game, like a Pegasus or the Invisible Plane, to help you recover from a loss ..or advance your position, on the board. How about powers, like mental radio or the magic sphere, which could be won or traded, over the course of the game? Furthermore, there are too many rules and moving pieces to keep up with.
    You see a fifteen minute overview showing a single enemy and a couple of the cards, and you manage to know there are missing elements? And after saying you want pieces of type X and Y, you say there are too many rules and moving pieces?

*sheesh*
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Huge board gamer here, and I cannot WAIT for this.

I love the character selection, personally. They could always be saving Donna and Cassie for an expansion. But I'll take Philippus, Mala, Nubia, and Artemis over them any day.

And I love Mala's look! Hope she returns in the comics with Frison's design.

If Hippo and Donna aren't in the game it is probably because they are too similiar looking to WW and they wanted to add some visual distinctiveness to each character.

I still find this whole concept though kind of weird. The individual Amazon characters are so under cooked as off late that I can't identify really identify 3 of these characters easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    If Hippo and Donna aren't in the game it is probably because they are too similiar looking to WW and they wanted to add some visual distinctiveness to each character.

I still find this whole concept though kind of weird. The individual Amazon characters are so under cooked as off late that I can't identify really identify 3 of these characters easily.
    I do agree that they probably left them out because of visual similarities. The five Amazons look very strikingly different which I love. The only one I would've changed is Philippus, replacing her with Euboea to add an Asian Amazon, but I'm happy nevertheless. The minis look like great, too. I just wish they included minis for the villains.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Huge board gamer here, and I cannot WAIT for this.

I love the character selection, personally. They could always be saving Donna and Cassie for an expansion. But I'll take Philippus, Mala, Nubia, and Artemis over them any day.
    Yeah, a lot of these board games are designed explicitly with expansions in mind.

For characters I guess we might get Hippo, Cassie/Donna, Orana, Antiope, Iro...Steve Trevor? The villains can be the First Born, Brother Eye and Villainy Inc.

For a third expansion, uh, you really start hitting bone here, so probably the other JL members and the villains will of course be drawn from the Cthulu mythos.

We have been campaigning hard for Malas return, these past 2 years. Glad to see her included.

To Kjn...its the selection of the many moving pieces that I don't care for. I would prefer fewer pieces, with simpler purposes and to see more major or important characters represented. In my opinion, if Ares is featured in board game, we must have Athena or Aphrodite to counter him... my opinion.

It looks entertaining enough for someone. Though I would have preferred something more like my old favorite, Dark Tower, I hope it is successful.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Aphrodite and Athena may be represented in cards, who knows? There are certainly relics judging from that "How to Play" video with Athena's name on it.

And less pieces/complexity would be awful IMO. This game doesn't seem too targeted towards the Monopoly crowd but rather adult tabletop players who prefer strategy.

There's strategy in Monopoly, just saying.

That's a super cool image, love Jenny Frison's work and Mala's twin daggers!

Also love KJN's reply it was hilarious.

Eh, I've never played one of these fancy more grown up type board games. Wouldn't have anyone to play with anyways. Are there or will there be boardgames for other DC characters? And if so, would you be able to import pieces from one DC game to another? You could have a Batfamily/Gotham game and A Superman/Metropolis game and then combine those with this one to make a whole JL board game.
    Eh, probably too complicated.