View Poll Results: What did you think of the issue?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

4 13.79%
  • ★★★★

7 24.14%
  • ★★★

9 31.03%
  • ★★

6 20.69%
  • 3 10.34%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    And if that were all, I would be happy.

But then we have an entire dialogue about why Diana CANNOT take down a titan solo, framed in such a way as to make it SOUND reasonable, except that we all know if it were Superman he’d have just punched its head off.

Once again, this run seems to lapse into defining a Wonder Woman through imposing limitations on her. She CANT stop Ares blowing people up, CANT get him to stop fighting without help, and now she CANT take down a titan unless Giganta helps her.

So far the only thing this run has shown me that Wonder Woman excels at going solo is giving hugs!

Two stars.
    I always enjoy your posts. Because sometimes i feel bad for finding this run (and WW in general nowadays) underwhelming. Many people here keep saying things trying to justify gww, like give her more time. But if she wanted to show Diana as a more competent and powerful individual, she would have done it by now. And this is something happening to WW for years now. She just hasn't done anything WOW in a freaking long time. I can't be the only one to notice this.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    I always enjoy your posts. Because sometimes i feel bad for finding this run (and WW in general nowadays) underwhelming. Many people here keep saying things trying to justify gww, like give her more time. But if she wanted to show Diana as a more competent and powerful individual, she would have done it by now. And this is something happening to WW for years now. She just hasn't done anything WOW in a freaking long time. I can't be the only one to notice this.
    Thanks.

I get the desire to bring in Giganta. No problem there at all.

But it didn’t have to be because Wonder Woman wasn’t “big enough”. After all there were two of those titans. It could have just been that Diana called in help because she couldn’t stop both before someone got killed.

Meanwhile over in Captain Marvel, Carol Danvers is lifting kraken as big as buildings.

Once again, the best writing for this issue is given to Mr Tumnus.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Thanks.

But it didn’t have to be because Wonder Woman wasn’t “big enough”. After all there were two of those titans. It could have just been that Diana called in help because she couldn’t stop both before someone got killed.

Meanwhile over in Captain Marvel, Carol Danvers is lifting kraken as big as buildings.

Nowadays with WW, they always make it seem like it's important to show she can't do things. Like look she is not invincible see? I just find it annoying. We don't ask for a hero that never loses. We just want to feel the excitment of seeing Diana do powerful and cool stuff, like a powerhouse is supposed to. Marvel can do that with carol danvers that has been a mid tier since her debut. But DC can't let WW shine? For example, Superman lifts buldings, Aquaman lifts a 15.000 tons submarine, WW? She lifts a 30 tons tank, and that is supposed to be the major moment in her case? In the movies and the comics, it seems they go out of their way to make sure she doesn't have any epic powerful moment.

Thanks.

With this treatment of Giganta, James Robinson's Silver Swan and Greg Rucka's work on Cale, Cheetah, Doctor Cyber, Poison Alpha, Circe, Wonder Woman's main rogues are well on the road to redevelopment.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I finally got to read this issue yesterday. The biggest perk was seeing Giganta used beyond a cameo. I'm not sure I like Wilson's portrayal of Giganta. She made her seem a bit desperate and weak-willed IMO. I like Giganta to be written as more confident and arrogant like she was in both Challenge of the Super Friends and Jimenez/Heinberg's runs. Diana's characterization is getting better though so that's a plus. Nord's art still isn't my cup of tea. Diana still looks too frail and Giganta didn't really look intimidating at all in this issue. Another point that bothered me is that silly Zoo Crew made another appearance. They're getting beyond annoying at this point. I'm not sure why Wilson thinks fans want to read about them. I'd rather she spent more time on Giganta, Steve, Etta, Donna, or Cassie.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I think one important factor here is that most superpowers function as plot devices. Wilson wanted a way to bring in Giganta as a sorta-ally that could provide another perspective on superheroing and supervillainy, and as a contrast to Diana's rather privileged position. Thus the discussion about size and leverage.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I think one important factor here is that most superpowers function as plot devices. Wilson wanted a way to bring in Giganta as a sorta-ally that could provide another perspective on superheroing and supervillainy, and as a contrast to Diana's rather privileged position. Thus the discussion about size and leverage.
    As a profesional writer, she should have been able to bring Giganta without falling into plot devices. That's just ridiculous and screams lazy writing.

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    As a profesional writer, she should have been able to bring Giganta without falling into plot devices. That's just ridiculous and screams lazy writing.

I'd have to agree. I don't want another rehash of Diana and Giganta being frenemies like they were in Simone's run. I want Giganta to be a big, scary threat to Diana and her world kind of like Geoff Johns portrayal of her in Infinite Crisis(where she was able to restrain Power Girl) and in Doomsday Clock(where she seems to be serving as Black Adam's lieutenant).
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I'd have to agree. I don't want another rehash of Diana and Giganta being frenemies like they were in Simone's run. I want Giganta to be a big, scary threat to Diana and her world kind of like Geoff Johns portrayal of her in Infinite Crisis(where she was able to restrain Power Girl) and in Doomsday Clock(where she seems to be serving as Black Adam's lieutenant).
    I was reading the story - it seemed to me that Giganta was being a real hard case about getting her money, and then Diana looked like she was going to cry so Giganta caved.

And I said to myself... What the hell?
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

I was reading the story - it seemed to me that Giganta was being a real hard case about getting her money, and then Diana looked like she was going to cry so Giganta caved.

And I said to myself... What the hell?

Yeah, that was pathetic.........

If the rest of this arc doesn't bump things up a notch or two, I think it's time for Wilson to go. Bring Steve Orlando or Phil Jimenez on as the writer(and artist in Phil's case). I want big, epic storylines for this book like Superman and Batman have. Heck, you wouldn't see Superman trying to make Mongul or Metallo his frenemy.
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 03-21-2019 at 02:32 PM.

If the rest of this arc doesn't bump things up a notch or two, I think it's time for Wilson to go. Bring Steve Orlando or Phil Jimenez on as the writer(and artist in Phil's case). I want big, epic storylines for this book like Superman and Batman have. Heck, you wouldn't see Superman trying to make Mongul or Metallo his frenemy.
    We know they both can write a great Wonder Woman but I really want to give Willow a chance. Issue #66 was quite enjoyable to me and I see someone else has given it Five Stars as well.

Expect Diana might be getting paid by the goverment why having Diana get her own money? I'm not talking about her getting a job rather her doing something where she doesn't need money from the goverment

Extraordinary Member

Is there a pattern here?

It seems like repeatedlyy female villains in DC are shown as not that bad. Giganta here being one example, but also Cale is hugged out of her evil plan. Harley and Poison Ivy are borderline good guys, or at least shown sympathetically compared to guys like Scarecrow, Penguin and Riddler. Catwoman is a classic example, Cheetah is not far behind, and for Mayfly turns good in a way fans would rail against if it were Zoom or,as above, Metallic.

It's almost like there's a unspoken understanding at DC that only male characters can be really bad, presumably because of a chronic deficiency in sugar and spice...
    Last edited by brettc1; 03-21-2019 at 08:56 PM.

It was a good, solid issue. I'll give it 3.5 out of 5.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

So the average score after 25 votes cast is exactly 3/5.