Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    But MJ wasn't intended to be a love interest. And Peter didn't even want to meet her.
    Yes, because then it'd be a shock when they met. But Betty and others seeing MJ beforehand was supposed to build her up in the reader's mind. It's like, hey, they think she's so awesome, Peter is such a blockhead for not wanting to meet her. But it's still using supporting cast to hype her. And the thing is that it's not a bad thing. Watched some NCIS episode the other day where the show's regular cast totally hyped a new character to the audience. It's the fact that because Carlie was supposed to be a love interest that suddenly makes it a bad thing to do.

The circumstances behind MJ's introduction and Carlie's introduction were radically different. You can say they were selling these characters to the audience (which, of course they were, but what people are trying to say is that they did a crap job selling Carlie to the audience because OMD), but they were meant to fulfill different roles.
    They were both love interests, even if MJ was a spoiler. She'd still have some sort of romantic drama with Peter to complicate things with Gwen. Difference is that Carlie was working her way up to being an actual girlfriend, which I still don't think they shoulda done because the female love interest always loses something in the trasition.

MJ wasn't supposed to be Peter's "ONE TRUE LOVE." She was originally presented as a ditzy party girl who didn't give a crap about anyone not named Mary Jane Watson. This is why her showing concern at the end of "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" (which was about 7 years after MJ's "Face it, tiger" introduction) was seen as such a shock. (Sure, in retrospect and with much deeper characterization these days, it shouldn't be a surprise that she exhibited grief over the death of a friend and concern towards the boyfriend of said dead friend. But characterization wasn't particularly deep in that era.)
    I'm not arguing whether or nor MJ was supposed to be Peter's "ONE TRUE LOVE."

With Carlie, it seems like (speaking generally here) "this is Peter's girlfriend now" was the order of the day. And given the comments Slott has made, they knew the audience would hate her because they would hate anyone after OMD. And they just sort of went with it. You can make the argument that she wasn't given a fair shake. That Marvel tossed her aside at the first available possibility. But it's important to note that Carlie was an active member of the supporting cast for more issues than Gwen Stacy was a living member of the supporting cast.
    They didn't start dating until Big Time, something like three years later, and lasted a good four years in total. I don't know that that's the first available possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Yes, because then it'd be a shock when they met. But Betty and others seeing MJ beforehand was supposed to build her up in the reader's mind. It's like, hey, they think she's so awesome, Peter is such a blockhead for not wanting to meet her. But it's still using supporting cast to hype her. And the thing is that it's not a bad thing. Watched some NCIS episode the other day where the show's regular cast totally hyped a new character to the audience. It's the fact that because Carlie was supposed to be a love interest that suddenly makes it a bad thing to do.
    I think it's the fact that the audience didn't meet MJ that played a big part in our perception of this era. I don't think that could ever be repeated, where we hear them hyping up a character for as long as they did without the audience meeting them. It took longer to meet MJ than it did to discover the Green Goblin's secret identity.

They were both love interests, even if MJ was a spoiler. She'd still have some sort of romantic drama with Peter to complicate things with Gwen. Difference is that Carlie was working her way up to being an actual girlfriend, which I still don't think they shoulda done because the female love interest always loses something in the trasition.
    I don't think they should have introduced Carlie in the epilogue of One More Day. She is forever tainted by her introduction in that story even though she doesn't actually do anything except introduce herself.

I'm not arguing whether or nor MJ was supposed to be Peter's "ONE TRUE LOVE."
    She wasn't. That's one of the things that makes her relationship with Peter so fascinating.

They didn't start dating until Big Time, something like three years later, and lasted a good four years in total. I don't know that that's the first available possibility.
    Carlie was introduced in the epilogue of One More Day, literally while MJ was being shown the door. But like I said, Marvel knew whoever they paired Peter up with would be hated by a majority of the readers. I'm sure if they had changed their minds about Carlie and had Peter go out with Norah Winters, she would have been the one who was really hated.

I wouldn't mind seeing her again. I think there's a lot of untapped potential in their friendship, considering their history and her job.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Extraordinary Member

I hope we do see her again.

The way she abandoned Peter after he went through a horrible trauma because MJ told her too destroyed the character in my eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    I miss Debra Whitman. She needs to return to the pages. She was a very unique and interesting character.
    This. Deb's awkwardness and vulnerability was so real until they lazily tried to crazy her away. It would be hilariously awesome if she randomly had a major role in the new Spider-Man movie.

Yeah, I feel sorry for her.
    And we probably will see her again.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

If Peter can't be with MJ then Norah or Betty or even Sanji would be more interesting love interest than CC

BANNED

If we see her again, what would you want her to do?

BANNED

One could say that Carlie had no one to blame, but herself for the mess she caused between her and Peter. Yes, Peter is to partly blame for this, but he could have used a friend or two when it came to coming back from Doc Ock controling his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    I'd like to see Carlie return to working with the police force. With everything that's happening to compromise Watanabe's position during SPIRAL, I think it could be a good chance to re-introduce her to the story. She would probably have to be in Miles' book though, as Peter is evidently going to be globe-trotting in the upcoming ASM relaunch. It could be interesting to see her reaction Miles given her history with Peter.
    “Marvel Fan Rave Podcast” on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    The way she abandoned Peter after he went through a horrible trauma because MJ told her too destroyed the character in my eyes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    One could say that Carlie had no one to blame, but herself for the mess she caused between her and Peter. Yes, Peter is to partly blame for this, but he could have used a friend or two when it came to coming back from Doc Ock controling his mind.
    Uh she was dealing with the trauma of being under the effects of the Goblin serum. I think she more than earned the right to take a holiday.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    Her and Norah are roommates and business partners in a little detective agency that's trying to compete in a city full of them, some even run by actual former superheroes. So they're always broke. Norah helps Carlie stop taking men so seriously, and Carlie Helps Norah fix her credit score. It's '2 Broke Girls' meets 'True Detective.'

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    If Peter can't be with MJ then Norah or Betty or even Sanji would be more interesting love interest than CC
    Betty is one of the few of Peter's past girlfriend who still carries the torch for him. But I think that Jennifer Walters(human form) would be an interesting match up for Peter because her legal expertise in all forms of the Law of Business and intellectual patents would help his company a great deal. Greer Grant would be another addition because of her strong ties to the NYPD CSI Forensic Division who does DNA profile cases that no one else could solve. Thus, both Jennifer and Greer have a lot to offer as Peter's companions respectively.

I think that Tigra's professional side is overlooked, as well as Jennifer's legal profession(human persona) on Business and Intellectual Property which would bore her She-Hulk persona to death.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 08-12-2015 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Betty is one of the few of Peter's past girlfriend who still carries the torch for him. But I think that Jennifer Walters(human form) would be an interesting match up for Peter because her legal expertise in all forms of the Law of Business and intellectual patents would help his company a great deal. Greer Grant would be another addition because of her strong ties to the NYPD CSI Forensic Division who does DNA profile cases that no one else could solve. Thus, both Jennifer and Greer have a lot to offer as Peter's companions respectively.

I think that Tigra's professional side is overlooked, as well as Jennifer's legal profession(human persona) on Business and Intellectual Property which would bore her She-Hulk persona to death.
    I'm sorry this is going to be rude but wth what part of Peter cant date a heroine is hard to get, he wont be dating Greer Grant because she is a heroine, he wont be dating Jennifer Walters because she is a heroine, he wont be dating Natasha Romanoff because she is a heroine, he wont be dating Carol Danvers because she is a HEROINE
    Truth is the best policy