Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    I was more of a Samurai Champloo fan myself.
    That show's hellah good.

Didn’t address these - sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Did you take Magical Nature/Affinity (forget the exact name) as a gift? Might want to snag that one, especially if you're going up to level 15 - get it at level 2 and ask Mob if you can apply it retroactively for level 1 as well. ^_^

Getting that Magical Nature/Affinity would help with the zeon, of course (50 zeon every level puts you up to 'normal' summoner bonus zeon). But yeah, the cost per day can hit the Zeon wallet.
    Yeah, I’ve gone Magical Nature 3, so 150 Zeon per level. I’m trying to just cut that particular problem off at the pass straight out of the gate… to weirdly mix metaphors and idioms.

Shoot, dude, were I playing a DZ I'd be HOPING for Light. That would be AWESOME. ^_^

In my second tabletop game, one of the main antagonists was a summoner. It wasn't until about 3/4 of the way through the game that the players figured out it was him (he worked through the creatures he summoned, and was pretty sneaky) and that he had a sheelie...of light. Caused some confusion. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Duk'zarist with a Light Sheelie would make for some hilarious conversations between them, I feel. ^_^
    Not just a Duk, but a Duk Summoner, dragging up all sorts of weird crap from the bowels of hell.

I was thinking it was kind of prohibitive, given that the Duk are prevented from getting Elemental Affinity (Light), but I guess that’s not the same thing. Would be kind of funny and kind of fitting if her soul essence was light-based.

But the conversations I’m expecting to have should be fun. It’s kind of the main reason for getting a Sheele in the first place. Companionship. And not just the Sheele, but imagine the Sheele, Huginn & Muninn and maybe a controlled summon (that isn’t a mindless beast) nattering away to her, giving her conflicting advice, sniping (at her, her colleagues and each other). So much fun. And the reason is that…

How you planning on playing a DZ, Beadle? Have an idea in your head about how they act, mannerisms, etc?
    Well, she’s a bit atypical as Duks go, having been raised by a hotch-potch mix of races in various Samael camps across the north of the continent, parentless (mother died in childbirth, which is very common for Duks, and father missing and she’s never met him). The only thing she has from her parents is her mother’s name and also her longsword, the name for which, Tab’arithiol apparently means something in an ancient, mostly-forgotten dialect of Nepranus but she’s no idea what and just calls it Tabby McStabby. Being a lone or sometimes simply rare Duk child among groups of Sylvain and other races, and particularly one prone to practical jokes, she became accustomed to being told to shut up and get lost, and because of that she’s become quite insular and cripplingly shy with strangers, assuming they’ll find her tiresome.

Nevertheless, she’s acutely aware of being stronger, and definitely longer lived, than other races (as well as unpopular, even by the standards of supernatural races in Gaia). Her only true friend is a Daimah girl with whom she grew up, but even though she still visits her and it’s like they were kids again, they’re both 95 - still young for a Duk, but her friend is now a very, very old woman. That knowledge of inherent superiority will factor in.

And her only friend clearly going to die very soon, following her mother (and possibly father) years before, leaving her very much alone in the world, is why she’s trying to gather her own companions (Sheele, the ravens etc.) that won’t leave her.

She’s also seen her share of horror - she was in Terrasanta when that place went to hell in a handcart - so that stuff take it’s toll.

From that I’ll kind of play with it and see where it goes. She’s an odd mix of drama, horror and silliness, and I intend to use all of that.

(As a final note, it occurred to me after creating her that, by giving her a childhood friend that’s grown too old for her, I’ve essentially created Puff the Magic Dragon-Blood, but that wasn’t the intent.)

Extraordinary Member

The Dragonball Kai English VS for Frieza, Chris Ayres, has passed away. RIP

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Oh man RIP
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Rest in peace Chris Ayres.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

God Dammit. His voice-acting made me respect Frieza again, both in Z and Super as well as subsequent appearances outside of the anime. He fought a valiant fight and he will be missed.
    Last edited by Len Ikari145; 10-19-2021 at 06:22 PM.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Didn’t address these - sorry.
    Hey, don't need to address everything. I'm just curious.

Yeah, I’ve gone Magical Nature 3, so 150 Zeon per level. I’m trying to just cut that particular problem off at the pass straight out of the gate… to weirdly mix metaphors and idioms.
    You're set. Yeah, that's a good plan. It'll also keep you from absolutely needing to spend tons on Zeon later.

Not just a Duk, but a Duk Summoner, dragging up all sorts of weird crap from the bowels of hell.
    Will you be doing that? Like, demons and stuff? Or just spirits and magical things?

I was thinking it was kind of prohibitive, given that the Duk are prevented from getting Elemental Affinity (Light), but I guess that’s not the same thing. Would be kind of funny and kind of fitting if her soul essence was light-based.
    Not so much the same thing at all, no. After all, it's only a sliver of her soul that links with some kind of proto-elemental; that it happens to come out Light would be odd, but not entirely out of the question. Especially since DZ emotions run deeper than human emotions, and yeah, they do feel things like happiness, love, and all of those other supposedly 'Light-based' emotions.

I would love it because of contrast. Would make for some good drama. And surprises.

But the conversations I’m expecting to have should be fun. It’s kind of the main reason for getting a Sheele in the first place. Companionship. And not just the Sheele, but imagine the Sheele, Huginn & Muninn and maybe a controlled summon (that isn’t a mindless beast) nattering away to her, giving her conflicting advice, sniping (at her, her colleagues and each other). So much fun. And the reason is that…

Well, she’s a bit atypical as Duks go, having been raised by a hotch-potch mix of races in various Samael camps across the north of the continent, parentless (mother died in childbirth, which is very common for Duks, and father missing and she’s never met him). The only thing she has from her parents is her mother’s name and also her longsword, the name for which, Tab’arithiol apparently means something in an ancient, mostly-forgotten dialect of Nepranus but she’s no idea what and just calls it Tabby McStabby. Being a lone or sometimes simply rare Duk child among groups of Sylvain and other races, and particularly one prone to practical jokes, she became accustomed to being told to shut up and get lost, and because of that she’s become quite insular and cripplingly shy with strangers, assuming they’ll find her tiresome.
    So you have an artifact weapon as well? It's always hard starting a DZ character; the lack of any kind of decent weapon makes weapon-using characters difficult, considering most GM's find it hard to justify just handing off a Ghestal weapon at the start. Especially given that the standard Duk'Zarist weapon is actually a magical blade - the Zebah IS the basic DZ weapon. I don't think it's possible to find a Ghestal weapon that isn't empowered in some way, and if it were it would likely be considered 'practice tool' or 'kid's toy'. But getting an artifact weapon bypasses that issue.

So there's no real DZ culture to her, or that sort of thing, because of her upbringing. Personality-wise, either? How does her race translate into her personality? The nature part of it, not the nurture part.

Also curious how Mobius plays DZ. The cultural difference, the racial stuff that simply doesn't translate, the racial influence and the influence of Dark in their spirits, the fact that they're neither 'dark elves' nor (at all) humans, etc. The rules don't give a LOT about that, but between Gaia II's notes on the matter, samples of DZ culture, and what is written in the base book, there's enough for a GM to at least develop an idea of how the DZ culture is (barring GM's that go with 'basically humans but superior', which I feel is a real lost opportunity). I'm sure there's an 'official' DZ culture, but again...not entirely laid out, so I'm always curious to see what GM's make of them. Might give me ideas (though I've already got my version of their culture preeeetty nailed down).

Sylvain are easier to figure out - more stuff, more information, they're basically elves (though they have some cultural specifics and stuff that aren't necessarily 'fantasy-elf cliche').

If you find out Mobius's perspective on DZ, please let me know. ^_^ I find the DZ fascinating, as on the surface they look like 'generic fantasy anti-elves', but with a little bit of digging (just a little, no more) one discovers 'nope, nope, not at all the case'.

I figure if I ever manage to play, it's either going to be a bog-standard human or (assuming I work myself up to playing a non-human) a Duk'zarist.

Nevertheless, she’s acutely aware of being stronger, and definitely longer lived, than other races (as well as unpopular, even by the standards of supernatural races in Gaia). Her only true friend is a Daimah girl with whom she grew up, but even though she still visits her and it’s like they were kids again, they’re both 95 - still young for a Duk, but her friend is now a very, very old woman. That knowledge of inherent superiority will factor in.

And her only friend clearly going to die very soon, following her mother (and possibly father) years before, leaving her very much alone in the world, is why she’s trying to gather her own companions (Sheele, the ravens etc.) that won’t leave her.

She’s also seen her share of horror - she was in Terrasanta when that place went to hell in a handcart - so that stuff take it’s toll.

From that I’ll kind of play with it and see where it goes. She’s an odd mix of drama, horror and silliness, and I intend to use all of that.

(As a final note, it occurred to me after creating her that, by giving her a childhood friend that’s grown too old for her, I’ve essentially created Puff the Magic Dragon-Blood, but that wasn’t the intent.)
    Good stuff, there. Any idea if she's the kind to synch with any of the Shajads (or Beryls, not absolutely impossible, though Azrael is likely out of the question, and no great loss there)?
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 10-20-2021 at 06:20 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

I’m not going to lie:

Listening/reading to the Anima stuff on the last few pages is like being a child and having the adults in the room talking in another language.

Fascinating and terrifying.

Really, it’s fairly cool but sounds hella complicated at times.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

...I admit, I have heard the game has gotten better with DLC expansions (the recent one having you be part of the Fourth Succession War) but yeah...This intro is okay compared to Battletech in showing the setting of the game.

...Yet Battletech did it more effectively without ever uttering a single word.

Out of Curiosity Beadle, will the metal allergy be a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    I’m not going to lie:

Listening/reading to the Anima stuff on the last few pages is like being a child and having the adults in the room talking in another language.

Fascinating and terrifying.

Really, it’s fairly cool but sounds hella complicated at times.
    Glad it's at least entertaining.

Anima is pretty complex, even as RPG systems go (especially these days, with everyone else trying for 'stripped down, no detail' systems). But most of the complexity is in character generation. The rules are fairly deep, but not too hard to grasp if one has experience with other Table Top RPG's.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Out of Curiosity Beadle, will the metal allergy be a problem?
    Barring him really screwing up a Resistance roll, in a few levels it'll cease to be an issue. ^_^ Would be even less of an issue were he playing a male Duk'Zarist, but.

Unless he's using martial arts, though, it 100% means 'Ghestal weapon' (I may be spelling that wrong, no books and I can never remember if it takes an h or not... ). Or malebolgian, but I strongly doubt Beadle laid out enough points to start with one of those.

Hopefully he'll be able to find some light Ramalen (sp, again) armor at some point as well.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I've always been a touch frustrated by Carlos (the writer) going on about how most male Duk'zarist are psychic, and most female Duk'zarist have the magical Gift, then promptly making every single Duk'zarist in the rule books (male, female, whatever) a magic-using one. -_-

Someone once said his favorite class is Warlock, and it shows. ^_^

...I may have fiddled with a named-Duk'zarist's class in my own game, out of spite.
    Why are we here?

Currently reading Platinum End, which starts like a usual, wish-fulfillment/action kind of manga. Then boom. Twists, twists, twists...

*arrives at chapter 39*

TWIST

It has kept my attention, to say the least.
    Why are we here?

Beeeeaaadle...your PM box is full. ^_^
    Why are we here?