Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Honestly, I can't imagine Super Mario Bros. as anything but a video game. Zelda and Metroid are pretty straight forward genre stories, whereas here, the whole mythology with wormhole pipes and mushroom people feels more like an acid trip than an actual story.

Not saying it can't be done obviously, I just can't picture it until it is.

Update from Nintendo themselves! First Nintendo movie will be out in 2 years and Nintendo is working with other studios. Will it be Mario?

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

As long as its animated this time. But why give the movie rights to Sony? Isn't Sony their competition? I would rather see Disney or Warner Bros get the movie rights.

But yea, i'm all for an animated Mario Bros Movie, would also love to see an animated Kirby film down the line as well!
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    As long as its animated this time. But why give the movie rights to Sony? Isn't Sony their competition? I would rather see Disney or Warner Bros get the movie rights.

But yea, i'm all for an animated Mario Bros Movie, would also love to see an animated Kirby film down the line as well!
    PlayStation is their competition. Another division of Sony that has nothing to do with video games is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I liked the last attempt.
    And of all the games you could make into a movie, Zelda would be the hardest to do. Much better to go with Metroid probably.
    In terms of story, its actually really easy. Evil pig comes to new dimension to united powerful magic artifact that princess has, guy comes to stop pig and saves kingdom and princess, the end.

The three things that I would like to see answered are: will they whitewash all the characters(considering its an Asian property I'm going to say that's an automatic yes), what age will Zelda and Link be, and finally, while it won't matter to non fanboys or causal fans, will Link speak in the movie. I mean considering that fans go crazy when its hinted that if they give Zelda voice actors, Link might talk in the game, fanboys go absolutely nuts over this. I wonder how they would react to him talking in a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan76 View Post
    In terms of story, its actually really easy. Evil pig comes to new dimension to united powerful magic artifact that princess has, guy comes to stop pig and saves kingdom and princess, the end.

The three things that I would like to see answered are: will they whitewash all the characters(considering its an Asian property I'm going to say that's an automatic yes), what age will Zelda and Link be, and finally, while it won't matter to non fanboys or causal fans, will Link speak in the movie. I mean considering that fans go crazy when its hinted that if they give Zelda voice actors, Link might talk in the game, fanboys go absolutely nuts over this. I wonder how they would react to him talking in a movie.
    Well, I suppose the reason I think Zelda would be so hard is that it's basically Lord of the Rings where the main character never talks and while yes the plot is simple there's also maybe not enough plot to make a film out of. Most of the game is dungeon crawling to get the items to get to the baddie. I mean the right script could work, but you'd need a darn good writer to put any meat on those plot bones from the game.

Gamexplain talks about the news.

Link did talk in the 90's animated series (The "Excuuusse me princess!" one), and the somewhat bizzare Phillips CD-I games that have become youtube meme legends.

No wonder Nintendo keeps him silent!

Which begs another question, the voice of Mario himself. Are we gonna get the fairly gruff-sounding Mario of the 90's cartoons and the live-action Lou Albano and Bob Hoskins, or the high-pitched "It's-a-me, Mario!" from the past twenty years of games?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post

I don't think Nintendo really views anyone as competition anymore. They're really dedicated to just doing their own thing and seeing what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Link did talk in the 90's animated series (The "Excuuusse me princess!" one), and the somewhat bizzare Phillips CD-I games that have become youtube meme legends.

No wonder Nintendo keeps him silent!

Which begs another question, the voice of Mario himself. Are we gonna get the fairly gruff-sounding Mario of the 90's cartoons and the live-action Lou Albano and Bob Hoskins, or the high-pitched "It's-a-me, Mario!" from the past twenty years of games?
    Sadly, high pitched and full on Italian accent. Which is perfectly fine I guess, but my nostalgia wants the cartoon voice. Kind of like how the dude who was Urkel will always be Sonic's voice to me.

BANNED

Well, I suppose the reason I think Zelda would be so hard is that it's basically Lord of the Rings where the main character never talks and while yes the plot is simple there's also maybe not enough plot to make a film out of. Most of the game is dungeon crawling to get the items to get to the baddie. I mean the right script could work, but you'd need a darn good writer to put any meat on those plot bones from the game.
    It would probably be the easiest since it actually has stories to work from. While Link doesn't talk in the games, he did in those Nintendo Power comics. They could probably do it without talking too, but that might come off as too moody, artsy, and jus weird for are a modern kids movie. I could see a Zelda movie being a lot like The NeverEnding Story, even if it was just all in the fantasy world.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    It would probably be the easiest since it actually has stories to work from.
    Outside of the most basic plot (fight baddie save princess) what stories specifically?

While Link doesn't talk in the games, he did in those Nintendo Power comics. They could probably do it without talking too, but that might come off as too moody, artsy, and jus weird for are a modern kids movie.
    I'd do it like an old west hero, have him talk only when he needs to, using as few words as possible. Quick and blunt.

I could see a Zelda movie being a lot like The NeverEnding Story, even if it was just all in the fantasy world.
    Man I loved that movie growing up (still love it in fact).
    At one point I wanted Peter Jackson to direct a Zelda film, but after the Hobbit films no. Still would want the people who used though to make the costumes and weapons and sets though, even if not greatly directed the Hobbit films still have that great Lord of the Rings aesthetic I'd want for Zelda. Creature effects I'd give to Guillermo del Toro or whoever he uses (Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth).

BANNED

Outside of the most basic plot (fight baddie save princess) what stories specifically?

I'd do it like an old west hero, have him talk only when he needs to, using as few words as possible. Quick and blunt.

Man I loved that movie growing up (still love it in fact).
    At one point I wanted Peter Jackson to direct a Zelda film, but after the Hobbit films no. Still would want the people who used though to make the costumes and weapons and sets though, even if not greatly directed the Hobbit films still have that great Lord of the Rings aesthetic I'd want for Zelda. Creature effects I'd give to Guillermo del Toro or whoever he uses (Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth).
    The games actually have scenes and interactions that could make up the plot. I'm not saying it isn't basics, but the games (and the Shotaro Ishinomori comic) actually have things you could easily make up a simple adventure movie with. Mario on the other hand would take more making things up for a movie, because that is just basically two guys save the Princess. And that isn't really bad, I think a Mario Bros. movie could be pretty great if it was mostly about the imagery; but if you're going by the games a Mario Bros movie would basically just be two brothers fight some monsters in the sewers of New York, find there way into another world, and end up saving a princess...maybe a Donkey Kong is in there somewhere. But with, like, A Link to the Past, that gives you more to work with with just the uncle bit than a number of Mario games all together do.

Something like the Lost Wood in Ocarina of Time gives you all kinds of things to play with. That gives you a whole goal oriented sequence. Because of what that area is, in a movie you could design a whole sequence around making the viewer feel lost, you could show it getting to Link that he can't figure it out, you could show him resting with his shoes off and injured feet to make it clear he's been there a while. I mean that's just one area of one game, but it gives you lots of stuff to do in a movie.

Mario on the other hand would take more making things up for a movie, because that is just basically two guys save the Princess. And that isn't really bad, I think a Mario Bros. movie could be pretty great if it was mostly about the imagery; but if you're going by the games a Mario Bros movie would basically just be two brothers fight some monsters in the sewers of New York, find there way into another world, and end up saving a princess...maybe a Donkey Kong is in there somewhere. But with, like, A Link to the Past, that gives you more to work with with just the uncle bit than a number of Mario games all together do.
    Play the early paper Mario games. Lots of story. The second game would have to be spit up into two movies to get all of the plots! There have been Mario games with full stories.

Starlord is mario!

Chris Pratt as Mario
    Anya Taylor Joy as Peach
    Charlie Day as Luigi
    JACK BLACK AS BOWSER
    Keegan Michael-Key as Toad
    Seth Rogen as Donkey Kong

Next dec 21.

Mario va is in the film as a "secret cameo."