Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by edpower View Post
    Can you think of any offensive/sexist Marvel superheroines?

The more obscure the better.

So far I can think of:

* Stacy X
    * Pretty Persuasions
    * Agent Cheescake
    * Big Bertha
    By the way, why are you calling these characters "offensive"?
    I'm not familiar with all of them, but are you basing the label on the concepts/names only, or are you actually reading the stories with those characters as well?
    (After all, an "offensive" name/concept may turn into a totally different characterization so that one should not judge a book (or a comic book character) by it's cover / cover art.)

So, there's no sexist characters in comics?

AWESOME! Good to know.

Thanks!
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

BANNED

spider woman in new avengers who turned out to be the skrull queen? Red Sonja? Mantis?

Quote Originally Posted by edpower View Post
    So, there's no sexist characters in comics?

AWESOME! Good to know.

Thanks!
    Doesn't answer the question, dude.

(And also, that's not what I said/implied.)

None of them are as offensive as Mandrill.

Carol Danvers is a belligerent fascist that bullies citizenry over info from shoddy psychic abilities.

She's super offensive to me.

Current Carol Danvers in that the way she's written/drawn implies that a woman has to act/look like a man to be strong and powerful. True sexism.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Current Carol Danvers in that the way she's written/drawn implies that a woman has to act/look like a man to be strong and powerful. True sexism.
    you see, things like this seem a lot more offensive to me than showing some cleavage or being drawn sexy. As a woman, I don't find the latter offensive, just plain silly, and I brush it off.

Showing teenage girls in close-fitting outfits or with cleavage or a bare tummy is also something I find offensive. Yes, I know, a lot of girls dress like this... which isn't an excuse IMO. If I had a teenage girl, you can be sure she'd dress properly before going outside (yeah, I know, good luck with that )

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yagamifire View Post
    Carol Danvers is a belligerent fascist that bullies citizenry over info from shoddy psychic abilities.

She's super offensive to me.
    Shoddy psychic abilities that were dead on nine out of ten times. The one time I wonder if Hydra Cap had some kind of hand tipping the scales so to throw doubt in the ranks.

Squirrel Girl. I find her offensive because I didn't think anyone could actually like a character that stupid, but look at that. A comic is being published about the character.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The One and Only View Post
    The reason for Betsey was altered/mind swapped with an Asian assassin's body was explained in the course of UNCANNY X-MEN#256 where her current look, designed by Jim Lee, was unveiled. She was intended as a good will gesture to the Mandarin by the Hand. Who were offering their services to the villain in the Lady Mandarin story arc. Basically, through Psylocke was going to be running the Hong Kong underworld as the Mandarin's rep. And, the Chinese gangs, are actually not too fond of foreigners involved in their operations, especially heading them. So Betsey was altered with an Asian look, so to make the transition in leadership go more smoothly. The outfit she sported given to her by the Hand, is basically just a palate color swap of another former Hand femme fatale, Elektra. Who was mentioned to the Mandarin by Hand major domo, Matsuo Tsurayaba. The Hand had hoped with Psylocke, after their brainwashing was completed with her. That the order of assassins would be able to not follow the mistakes they made with Ms. Natchios.
    Yeah, that doesn't really make he whole thing better or less racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    None of them are as offensive as Mandrill.
    Dear God, this is the only real answer. There's a reason he's not used much.

I don't find any current or past female heroes to be offensive, as I don't tend to be offended by women or comic books.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The One and Only View Post
    The reason for Betsey was altered/mind swapped with an Asian assassin's body was explained in the course of UNCANNY X-MEN#256 where her current look, designed by Jim Lee, was unveiled. She was intended as a good will gesture to the Mandarin by the Hand. Who were offering their services to the villain in the Lady Mandarin story arc. Basically, through Psylocke was going to be running the Hong Kong underworld as the Mandarin's rep. And, the Chinese gangs, are actually not too fond of foreigners involved in their operations, especially heading them. So Betsey was altered with an Asian look, so to make the transition in leadership go more smoothly. The outfit she sported given to her by the Hand, is basically just a palate color swap of another former Hand femme fatale, Elektra. Who was mentioned to the Mandarin by Hand major domo, Matsuo Tsurayaba. The Hand had hoped with Psylocke, after their brainwashing was completed with her. That the order of assassins would be able to not follow the mistakes they made with Ms. Natchios.
    Don't you know that Jim Lee is racist towards Asians.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Yes, Carl Manvers is very offensive.

So is America Chavez, a walking bundle of feminist/lesbian stereotypes.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Yeah, that doesn't really make he whole thing better or less racist.
    So no asian characters can be criminal masterminds and asians cannot be used in any story involving criminal organizations...good to know.