Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

I wonder if DC thinks what they did to Harley in the new 52 made her blow up. The only thing I can see that sorta contributed to her mainstream exposure is them officially making her a member of the suicide squad(I think she did one mission post crisis) which has kinda been carried over in Arrow and the animated movies.

Still Harley's book isn't really about anything but her going on wacky adventures that have nothing to do with anything in the new 52. Maybe that's the point but then again that doesn't work with every character

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    I wonder if DC thinks what they did to Harley in the new 52 made her blow up. The only thing I can see that sorta contributed to her mainstream exposure is them officially making her a member of the suicide squad(I think she did one mission post crisis) which has kinda been carried over in Arrow and the animated movies.
    To be honest, I suspect it's the complete opposite of that. I think Harley's solo title's huge success has been in spite of her New 52 'reinvention', rather than because of it. As you said, her own book is very much a stand-alone title and this Harley is clearly closer to her pre-Flashpoint personality than the Harley we've seen in Suicide Squad, and especially her infamous Villain's month one-shot.

Speaking for myself, I'm still not completely loving the book. For me, I just get this feeling that the book is stuck between two genres and can't fully commit to one or the other, leaving us with this slightly jarring mix of the two. The problem is that it's not bat-crap crazy or ludicrous enough to be considered an out-of-continuity/in-its-own-little-bubble comic. But at the same time, it's doesn't take itself seriously enough to accept the events are happening within the DCnU. I'd just like the book to pick a side and go with it, preferably the former.

On top of that, I just haven't found it that funny, which is surprising considering the writing team. I actually think Palmiotti's run on Pee-Gee was funnier than this, perhaps because the humour there was less expected. With Harley, there's kind of an expectation for her to be funny, but so far I've found the humour a bit too obvious and easy. Having said all this, I should point out I am enjoying the book for the most part. I guess, between my love of who the character once was and the current team on the book, my expectations were a bit higher than what we're currently seeing.
    Last edited by Vworp Vworp; 08-10-2014 at 05:32 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    To be honest, I suspect it's the complete opposite of that. I think Harley's solo title's huge success has been in spite of her New 52 'reinvention', rather than because of it. As you said, her own book is very much a stand-alone title and this Harley is clearly closer to her pre-Flashpoint personality than the Harley we've seen in Suicide Squad, and especially her infamous Villain's month one-shot.

Speaking for myself, I'm still not completely loving the book. For me, I just get this feeling that the book is stuck between two genres and can't fully commit to one or the other, leaving us with this slightly jarring mix of the two. The problem is that it's not bat-crap crazy or ludicrous enough to be considered an out-of-continuity/in-its-own-little-bubble comic. But at the same time, it's doesn't take itself seriously enough to accept the events are happening within the DCnU. I'd just like the book to pick a side and go with it, preferably the former.

On top of that, I just haven't found it that funny, which is surprising considering the writing team. I actually think Palmiotti's run on Pee-Gee was funnier than this, perhaps because the humour there was less expected With Harley, there's kind of an expectation for her to be funny, but so far I've found the humour a bit too obvious and easy. Having said all this, I should point out I am enjoying the book for the most part. I guess, between my love of who the character once was and the current team on the book, my expectations were a bit higher than what we're currently seeing.
    Is Deadpool's comics funnier than Harley's?

I believe Harley fans are mostly Joker fans and those other readers who love funny and colorful comics.

Joker has a lot of fans true
    I think only a small subset like Harley though(since she's Harley).Harley has this cosplay bait about her and then you have people who like Amanda conner,the people who like silly books,and then the people who will buy anything associated with the joker.
    Honestly the book is pretty violent and the humor is kinda like something Harley would find funny like Looney tunes or tom and jerry. It's not that far off from suicide squad imo

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

BANNED

She's really doing well with her ongoing.

I do agree with what you guys are saying about New 52 Harley and how her story is basically a lot of whacky antics and could almost be its own stand-alone story each issue without necessarily having to follow a specific storyline. But... in a way, I feel that's appropriate. It's Harley. She's got the attention span of, what, a quarter of a gnat? She's eternally immature and insane and that's what we love about her, so without there being the Joker there to focus all of her energy into, I think it makes perfect sense for her to just be going off and getting into all kinds of random trouble on her own. She had a goal when she was with the Joker, and that was to be with the Joker and make her Mistah J happy. Now that he's out of the picture, she's all about having fun and causing all sorts of mayhem, and I think that's perfect for her.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Issue 9 is out now
    Seems like Harley is back to leaning on the 4th wall. Good issue but not as funny as I'd expect.

Mighty Member

I love her crazy performance in the Assualt on Arkham movie.

Quote Originally Posted by tabo61 View Post
    I love her crazy performance in the Assualt on Arkham movie.
    Ditto! And I think Hynden Walch does a pretty good Harley voice.

I just picked up this awesome poster from my local comic shop yesterday. Now all I need is a place to hang it up
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

The Master of Panda Power SuperRedPanda's Avatar

Harley has been my favourite villain from the DC universe for about 4 years now. I'm really enjoying her New 52 solo series

Loved Harley in Assault on Arkham! Funny, dangerous, and sexy. Pretty much why we love her. Yahtzee!!!

1) In the new issue Harley mentions she knows a lawyer in New York's Hell's Kitchen. Is that a Daredevil reference?

2) Seeing her original suit in the new issue makes me miss it and wonders why Harley is wearing a skimpy costume now and Poison Ivy is wearing a full body costume.

Yeah that's gotta be a daredevil reference no obscure lawyer characters in dc
    She also mentioned batsman origin so in her crazy babble she figured out who batman was

Can someone Please for the love of Mike tell me why people expect Harley to be this innocent flower in need of Protection instead of the Murderous Psycho that she is? People on another board were even bitching about her portrayal in Assault on Arkham and that she spoilers:
    wouldn't just sleep with Lawton
    end of spoilers like that but didn't Harley bang for Professor to get a A+ in Mad Love and parade around on a skimpy see-trough negligee not to mention her classic outfit leaves nothing to the imagination. What gives?
    Last edited by Lokimaru; 08-18-2014 at 10:41 AM.