Page 50 of 121 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100 ... LastLast
    Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    There always seems to be this strange worry that things won’t be handled well. Even eleven years into the most successful movie franchise.
    I have no doubt that it’ll be handled well, just offering one way it could be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Whitmore View Post
    Neither the time travel rules or the 5-year jump really hold up when I stop to think back on them (half the population of the planet suddenly being out of a job all at once is almost too much to consider).

But, I don’t find myself thinking back on them much. I have trouble remembering much of anything beyond that scene where the portals open and the Wakandans, Asgardians, wizards, and returned superheroes emerge. And when I do manage to think about something besides that scene, it’s how goddamn funny the movie was. Or the emotional satisfaction I got from the way Cap and Tony’s stories ended. Or Cap’s Mjolnir smackdown. Or the setups for the movies/shows to come. Or...well, you get my point.

(BTW, with all this “Black Widow’s movie must be a prequel” talk, am I really the only one who thinks Banner might have succeeded in bringing her back? He didn’t know he’d succeeded with anyone earlier. Plenty of ways to explain why she didn’t/couldn’t make it to the climactic fight)
    I struggle to understand why many people see this as a pro rather than a con in a movie with such high stakes. But I’m clearly in the minority with this opinion so I digress .
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    On the Mjolnir bit: Given Thor's reaction, he wasn't the least bit surprised. I believe his line was "I knew it!"

Remember, Thor saw the hammer budge when Steve took his turn in AoU. He has suspected Steve's worthiness for some time.

The real question is actually this: could Steve have picked up the hammer in AoU, and was only faking it to spare Thor's feelings? I suspect not, that the scene was meant at face value, but it makes for a compelling reading.

Then again, I'm of the opinion that Vision was absolutely worthy. Newly born, the spell on the hammer was judging purely on his nature, his innate character.

Might have been fun to revisit it after Viz became more human later, and had foibles and poor choices behind him. Would he still have been worthy?
    In the comics, being worthy depends on the situation. Steve trying to lift the hammer at a party in a macho competition is not worthy. Steve trying to lift the hammer to fight Thanos and protect the universe is worthy.

BANNED

Hey all you nerds, what's the explanation for how the Avengers knew the time stone would be in New York in 2012? Seems like a not-obvious place for it to be.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Hey all you nerds, what's the explanation for how the Avengers knew the time stone would be in New York in 2012? Seems like a not-obvious place for it to be.
    Eh, they worked with the intel they had. Dr. Strange had the stone with him when Bruce met him in New York, so they assumed that he had it with him there for a while. Instead, they got the Ancient One.

Quote Originally Posted by Xheight View Post
    Well I wouldn't say it is just Asgardian morals but Odin's ideals as evidenced in the the first film when Thor is stripped of the power. We are sticking to MCU notions are we not which was what made the worth seem false to me. We have known that Cap was always a willing self sacrificing individual from his first movie giving us his commitment and valor and even loss of those closest to him. His arc was never about gaining more of that. His arc is on the locus of morality not if he gains more of a certain kind.

To parse that a bit Thor is willing to sacrifice his immoral life for his friends and earth which whatever one feels about Cap's life is a mortal one. The Vision in that regard does have an immortality perhaps approaching that of a god and yet is also as selfless in sacrifice.
    While I think self-sacrifice is part of worthiness, I don't think it's all of it. Leadership is also part of it, given Odin's speech. While Cap was always a leader, I think his leadership skills have only grown since AoU. When Cap was first introduced, he was a leader, but in a by-the-book kind of way. He was the good soldier, the ultimate boy scout. Since AoU, he learned that that wasn't always the best way, he developed into a more independent thinker and operator. He seemed more regal in IW and Endgame.

To me, the interesting question isn't why Cap was worthy, it's whether he was worthy at the time of AoU but chose not to show it. Whedon made a comment at that time suggesting that Cap could have lifted Mjolnir then but decided not to do so: http://www.4ye.co.uk/2015/07/sdcc-20...ns-at-nerd-hq/

Ultimate Member

Lack of screentime and cool character interactions disappointment aside, I DID like how powerful they made Carol look here. She tore through Thanos's ship like tissue paper, and Thanos couldn't do anything physically to hurt her. Him headbutting her and her not even flinching and him actually looking nervous for a moment was such a cool moment. And he literally had to rip the Power Stone out and hit her with that to finally do anything to her at all.

It actually makes me wonder who IS a physical threat to her?

Yeah, it'll be a toughie to find a villain who is on an equal footing with her for her next solo movie.

Ultimate Member

Tough but not impossible. Be creative Marvel. Also her short hair looked great in the film as well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I struggle to understand why many people see this as a pro rather than a con in a movie with such high stakes. But I’m clearly in the minority with this opinion so I digress .
    I think its because some people need some levity so it doesn't become too overbearingly depressing for them. The movie could be accused of taking itself "too seriously" for a comic book movie.

I actually would've preferred the movie be a bit more serious myself but I don't mind personally.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I guess time-travel works differently in the MCU. If the Flash/Barry Allen had tried this, reality would be hemorrhaging chaos.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    I think its because some people need some levity so it doesn't become too overbearingly depressing for them.
    Monotone tends to result in ineffective drama. Even HAMLET and MACBETH were leavened with moments of humor.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Did anyone else find the wig they put on Brie Larson horrible looking? I get that they are trying to make her character look comics accurate but that was awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Yeah, it'll be a toughie to find a villain who is on an equal footing with her for her next solo movie.
    Yep. She's going to have the Superman problem where she is too overpowered unless some sort of McGuffin is used to weaken her

Not that I expect it will be touched on much but would anyone besides me be interested in the societal effectsafter the events of Endgame as the people who returned try to return to their lives. It was five years for those left behind and all will have moved on with their lives.

Some will have remarried and had kids with new partners and now their old spouses are back with no time elapsed for them.

People returning will have lost their jobs, families, homes, etc in many cases and those left behind may not be so welcoming of them being back.

Perhaps the only thing more destructive than losing half the population of the world is that half suddenly reappearing 5 years later.