Page 74 of 134 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884124 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1999

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Ooh. I want a link for that one too
    Selina is based on his wife. He says that his wife is the strongest thing in his life. "To me I wanted to give the strongest thing in my life to Batman". King on why this relationship

https://twitter.com/thebestofbatcat/...586176/photo/1

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Selina is based on his wife. He says that his wife is the strongest thing in his life. "To me I wanted to give the strongest thing in my life to Batman". King on why this relationship

https://twitter.com/thebestofbatcat/...586176/photo/1
    Thanks

Agh. So close. I think I recognize the layout though. That should be from Newsarama's coverage on SDCC or something similar.

...Yeah. Pierce Lydon writes for Newsarama.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I think that's really pushing it. You may not like how King sees Batman's character development, but saying he's "hellbent on erasing" is extremely negative and subjective. King's not the first and won't be the last to have Batman ignore or mistreat his family.

I think Batman, to King, is likely partly his dad, but is also clearly himself, as he's based a lot of Selina on his wife.
    Given that you are a critic by profession, hypothetically I shouldn't have to explain why a writer who takes established characters with strong voices and decides to write them based on their own romantic relationships and popular romance movies of the 2000s is bad.

Hypothetically. But I admit it took me trying to console a friend after a bad breakup to move past my bewilderment at the inclusion of Damian's pearl in the 2nd annual with him being entirely removed from the story in favor of Jean Paul to notice that it's bordering on plagiarism of The Notebook. So who am I to judge? I'm just a reader who's used to the lit world where people pay close attention to things and writers talk about how their characters are their own people with only vague similarities to themselves instead of cookie cutter cardboard creations and self inserts. But this is an appreciation thread, not an analysis thread, so I will back off of it.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post
    Given that you are a critic by profession, hypothetically I shouldn't have to explain why a writer who takes established characters with strong voices and decides to write them based on their own romantic relationships and popular romance movies of the 2000s is bad.

Hypothetically. But I admit it took me trying to console a friend after a bad breakup to move past my bewilderment at the inclusion of Damian's pearl in the 2nd annual with him being entirely removed from the story in favor of Jean Paul to notice that it's bordering on plagiarism of The Notebook. So who am I to judge? I'm just a reader who's used to the lit world where people pay close attention to things and writers talk about how their characters are their own people with only vague similarities to themselves instead of cookie cutter cardboard creations and self inserts. But this is an appreciation thread, not an analysis thread, so I will back off of it.
    I'm an amateur critic - no payment exchanges hands. And I don't see how it's bad for King to base Batman's love life on his own (again, filtered through his creativity - it's not an allegory or one to one correspondent version of his marriage) when it's okay for Snyder to base Batman on his fears about society and his personal anxieties, or Morrison to base Batman on his own semi-Zen view of the world. What I'm objecting to is you attributing negative motivation ("King hates Batman and wants to write bad stories and hates other people's stories intentionally"), instead of stating it as an interpretation. Nowhere has King said, "I hate all those old stories and want to erase them."
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Well, I just hope that the final confrontation is between Bruce and Bane, not Bruce and Thomas. Because I think it should end where it started.
    If this is Knightfall 2.0...Thomas Wayne takes Bane out and Bruce then convinces his father to give up and reform his life.

(Bit of a stretch, I know, but I was jokingly plugging Thomas into the role of Az-Bats. It's easy to forget that Bruce never got a rematch with Bane in KNIGHTSEND, and there wasn't a physical confrontation with Jean Paul Valley, in spite of the buildup! Which I loved, incidentally.)

I'm an amateur critic - no payment exchanges hands. And I don't see how it's bad for King to base Batman's love life on his own (again, filtered through his creativity - it's not an allegory or one to one correspondent version of his marriage) when it's okay for Snyder to base Batman on his fears about society and his personal anxieties, or Morrison to base Batman on his own semi-Zen view of the world. What I'm objecting to is you attributing negative motivation ("King hates Batman and wants to write bad stories and hates other people's stories intentionally"), instead of stating it as an interpretation. Nowhere has King said, "I hate all those old stories and want to erase them."
    This is an enjoyment thread so i don't want to get to into it or criticise but by using those pearls in his story [if they are the same, martha might have had more than one Pearl necklace] he effectively erases both the Dark Knights story that had kid Bruce searching the Alley for the errant pearls and crying when he couldn't retrieve them all and the Tomasi story that had Damian searching the sewers for weeks on end to find the pearl that meant so much to his dad [this action was the break through their relationship needed]

Not saying that he set out to erase the stories /that he hated them but [if they are those pearls] then he erased two key and emotional stories significant to other characters development

I feel Gotham Girl will have a change of heart and be forced to kill thomas/send him back to his time. That will be the Batman we were told she'll kill

Anyone else find it kind of odd and unsettling that Bruce's mom is now buried in a shallow, unmarked grave out in the middle of some desert? Doubt anyone will follow up with it, but that could become sort of a problem in the future.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Anyone else find it kind of odd and unsettling that Bruce's mom is now buried in a shallow, unmarked grave out in the middle of some desert? Doubt anyone will follow up with it, but that could become sort of a problem in the future.
    Yeah, it bothered me a lot when it came out, but it seemed that I was the only one who cared. Can Bruce even find her back, if he made sure that his dad couldn't ?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

A bit, but it isn't like there's anything else he can do at that time, and if I know Bruce, once this whole thing is settled he's gonna come back for it even if it takes a lifetime to find.

OR

It turns out Ra's have been paying attention to their journey secretly and took it

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Yeah, it bothered me a lot when it came out, but it seemed that I was the only one who cared. Can Bruce even find her back, if he made sure that his dad couldn't ?
    Eh. A quick call to Clark and he’d have her back in an hour tops.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Eh. A quick call to Clark and he’d have her back in an hour tops.
    Oh yah. Would love the hear that phone call. "You want me to do what, now?"
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

It’s a simple “I had to bury my mother in a unmarked grave in the middle of the desert to prevent my father from an alternate reality from trying to bring her back to life with some magic resurrection juice” phone call. I doubt it’s cracks the top 50 strangest things Clark has ever been asked to do.

Knowing Bruce, is probably not the weirdest favor that he has asked for.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post

Not saying that he set out to erase the stories /that he hated them but [if they are those pearls] then he erased two key and emotional stories significant to other characters development
    Setting aside that All stories are true is specifically a theme of Kings run. Does it really erase anything though? Selina doesnÂ’t find the necklace in the safe. She finds a single chewed up pearl. That Bruce has one doesn’t mean he wouldn’t desperately want to get the others back or that he wouldn’t be terribly moved by Damian’s grand gesture of finding another? If Bruce had all but one of Martha’s pearls, even if he had them all and knew Damian’s was a dud, wouldn’t his reaction have been the same?