Page 22 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Hard disagree. Sinister is more interesting because of his connections to Apocalypse and his ability to stand on his own as a villain - especially after Gillen got his hands on the character and redefined him into an actual threat. There's just something so attractive about a character like Essex being so Machiavellian, so Victorian which is also fitting due to his actual origin. Claremont portrayed him as a great threat, a great creator, and a wonderful villain but literally making him a child in the body of a man or what have you would have been so frustrating for a character of this caliber.
    Admittedly, I mostly know Sinister from the Claremont run (where even with how he portrayed him, he and Simonson laid it on thick that the bully from Scott's childhood was Sinister's true form) and the animated series. The former became more interesting and creepier with the knowledge of the behind the scenes planned origin in mind. And I believe Nathan, even stuck as a physical 12 year old, was intended to be old, so his Victorian background could still be in place. From the animated series, I thought he kind of sucked even with his origin episode. "Mr. Sinister" is an inherently silly name with an OTT Goth Colossus looking design, it's hard to take a character like that completely seriously if he's intended to be Machiavellian. It actually makes sense coming from the perspective of an adult mind still trapped in the body of a child that isn't keeping up with the rest of him that is putting on airs.

But my X-Men collection tends to stop right when Claremont leaves in 1991 and picks up again with Morrison. The 90s are a decade I don't want to touch with a 10 foot pole (I'm sure there
    s good stuff in here, but too much crap surrounding it), so I have no attachment to the origin Sinister ended up getting. I don't really have a horse in this race if Hickman is going to be messing with it or pulling inspiration from Claremont's original notes.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I keep thinking more and more about it and I really don't like how Sinister was written here. He came across like a slapstick, Deadpool kind of villain.

As characterized by both Claremont and Gillen, arguably the premier Sinister writers, Essex should be maudlin, Machiavellian, practically Shakespearean. Sure, he can be a ham, but here he is written like a Saturday morning cartoon. I can't believe I'm saying this but I think I'm falling out of love with Hox/Pox more and more with each issue, and it's draining my enthusiasm for X-Men and the first arc of New Mutants.
    I agree. This Sinister was funny and that is fine, but too much funny is a problem. It stops being serious. I prefer a more mature take on him.

Incredible Member

Isn't it odd that Xavier and Magneto met this guy and he has tons of clones killing off each other on a whim and they're just like "we can totally work with this guy."

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

pox wasnt as good as last week hox (but that has been consistent since the first books dropped). Nevertheless, I didnt mind this was a bit more light-hearted in nature. Last week we experienced a lot of deaths so getting a breather was fine and appropriate to me.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    pox wasnt as good as last week hox (but that has been consistent since the first books dropped). Nevertheless, I didnt mind this was a bit more light-hearted in nature. Last week we experienced a lot of deaths so getting a breather was fine and appropriate to me.
    next issue should be better, it was marked red. it will explain how the mutants are being resurrected probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    And so did Gillen in UXM. Not sure where this revisionist history is coming from. Dude literally took over a woman’s body and then did a curtsey towards Cyclops lmao.
    My only expirience with Gillen Sinister was in those AvX tie-ins, he didn't seen to be that far from that here.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    And so did Gillen in UXM. Not sure where this revisionist history is coming from. Dude literally took over a woman’s body and then did a curtsey towards Cyclops lmao.
    I'm legit reading Gillen's run right now. Campy is fine, childish is not.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

when hickman does the x-men/queer eye crossover with sinister you'll all be begging for him to accept you into his omega-level mind like a blueberry to a phalanx

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Magneto defending his boyfriend <3

the x-men franchise will flourish if it embraces what truly makes it special, really old lgbt people
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Magneto defending his boyfriend <3

I thought the same thing. And I took a pause when Sinister announced his mutant powers are overthrowing tyrants and being absolutely fabulous, and Erik responded with "I can see that" with that closeup of his mouth. Wooooo K!

EDIT: The art was once again so good.
    Last edited by JB; 09-11-2019 at 03:32 PM.

B94596C7-65F3-4F06-948E-248213828855.jpg

“The Elders” — left to right: Sinister(?), Moira, Nimrod, Xavier. In front: Apocalypse (says he’s the “first of elders”).

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I'm sick of this man.

06.jpg
    09.jpg

What the hell are secrets 8, 9 and 10?
    "Cable was right!"

So we basically in the home stretch for this series now. 8 issues down. 4 to go. Damn time flies. Still seems like there is quite a bit to be explained. Hoping Hickman can pull it off.

Can anyone explain to me how the future x1000 story is fitting into this? At the start I thought I knew but as the issues have gone on and the phalanx have come into it just seems so disconnected from everything else going on....

I can't believe that those arcs of Hunt for Wolverine have gone somewhere.

BANNED

Republicanesque X-Men fans. I will never understand how that's a thing.

On the non-Byrne, real topic of the thread: you folks are really drawn in by this issue? I don't get it. I'm finding out Secret History stories make me sleepy.
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 09-11-2019 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Republicanesque X-Men fans. I will never understand how that's a thing.

On the non-Byrne, real topic of the thread: you folks are really drawn in by this issue? I don't get it.
    Not much., the story seems very fragmented