Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Batgirl and the Birds of Prey #16 preview

Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

BANNED

Dear lord why is this so bad?!

Actually, reading that interview gives me something of a good idea as to "why".

On that big group shot, I feel like half the cast is competing for an award to see who can be the most whiny and annoying.

And really, I can laugh at the bad writing, but the part that genuinely pisses me off is how Cass and Babs' first direct interaction is so meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    On that big group shot, I feel like half the cast is competing for an award to see who can be the most whiny and annoying.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Those faces .

And really, I can laugh at the bad writing, but the part that genuinely pisses me off is how Cass and Babs' first direct interaction is so meaningless.
    Dude, can you say anything positive? LOL!

It's fine. I bet it's not as bad as you think.

Mighty Member

I like how they talk about how amazing all these female characters together at once is when we know they are all going to be as shallow and poorly written as possible in the issue. This book

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WontonGirl View Post
    Dude, can you say anything positive? LOL!
    Of course I can. Have you not seen my absurd levels of gushing over New Super-Man? Or perhaps how I've repeatedly said Cassandra Cain is my favorite character in all of fiction and bring her up every chance I get? Or any of the other literal hundreds of characters and dozens of runs that I love?

I know you're partially joking from the "LOL" but it's not my fault DC puts out so much crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
    I like how they talk about how amazing all these female characters together at once is when we know they are all going to be as shallow and poorly written as possible in the issue. This book
    My thoughts exactly.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I still think the book is fun. I think it's neat to see who is taking over as Mayor right now - though I hope that someone in some book deals with the new mayor at some time.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Why do you say this? What's wrong with it?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Why do you say this? What's wrong with it?
    I've been reading this book from the beginning and yes all the characters are likable enough but that's it. Nothing gets past this shallow surface level stuff and mediocre plots. All three characters sound almost exactly the same, with a few differences. It's most likely going to be worse with so many charcters to juggle.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I've been reading this book from the beginning and yes all the characters are likable enough but that's it. Nothing gets past this shallow surface level stuff and mediocre plots. All three characters sound almost exactly the same, with a few differences. It's most likely going to be worse with so many charcters to juggle.
    Much as I defend this book, I mostly agree. The voicing for all three main characters is exactly the same - it's highlighted by the fact that all of the characters quote Star Wars so much, so there's no real sense of "oh, this character is a nerd," it's just all quotes and quips. I think the Bensons are already showing a bit more nuance (or maybe caricature) in the huge ensemble, but that's likely because with so many characters, you go for the most catchphrasy/exaggerated stereotype of how you would write a character to distinguish them from each other.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Dude, your rushing in to complain about this book gave me some serious deja vu when I entered the thread. It's because you did the same in the thread for the last issue, in so many words! Why don't you just drop it if it troubles you so much? If you have dropped it, then is there a need to immediately reply about how bad it is in every issue preview thread?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Why don't you just drop it if it troubles you so much? If you have dropped it, then is there a need to immediately reply about how bad it is in every issue preview thread?
    I was not reading this book prior to this storyline and I will be dropping it once it is over. It doesn't matter how bad it is; after being gone for so long and still only getting scraps, I will read anything with Cass in it. And like with anything I read, I'm free to express how I feel. Perhaps it was repetitious of me to react this way again, but 1) It's no less repetitious than my never-ending gushing over Cass and New Super-Man and 2) I wouldn't need to react this way if I had anything at all positive to say.

BANNED

. And like with anything I read, I'm free to express how I feel.
    And how I feel right now is that this is one of the worst books in DC Rebirth, if not the worst.

This was trash, top of the line trash. The dialogue is awful, the general plot remains incredibly stupid and this story is just...REALLY?!

Wonder Woman, spirit of truth, can't do anything about knock-out gas? The several characters with masks are somehow affected by knockout gas?!

Oh, and why did they kidnap those three characters in particular? Because they're the ones with solos of course!

Still no interaction between characters other than ones we see them with usually, completely defeating the point of a team-up.

And yes, these are some of the dumbest villains I've ever seen.

Mighty Member

Best page was Helena and Dick and Cass with the Tec team. This issue was accidentally the funniest one too.