Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    It seems that Jonathon Hickman is hinting he too will be going to DC as well. DC is really becoming WCW and signing away folks !
    Then Hickman gets Legion Of Super Heroes. He's an avowed fan.

His Avengers run might as well have been a test for Legion run.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    These were always going to be temporary.
    Anybody vaguely familiar with how superhero comics work should have known that.
    And that's a very dangerous aspect to play. No one was expecting the classic heroes to disappear, that what everyone familiar with superhero comics should know.

But when you push brand new characters that gain traction in sales on the back of diversity, only to remove those characters as if diversity is seasonal,
    is going to create a backlash like very little they seen. It would be a different story IF these characters all crashed and burn because of sales. But totally awesome hulk is being sent to scholastic so that young asian kids can enjoy seeing a character look like them be a hulk, or moon girl. Many of these books are books with a decent selling to good selling displays in the print book alone, let alone other mediums like digital and trades.

If Marvel goes down this path of removing diverse heroes, well let's just say the direct market is going to head to early grave much faster than expected.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    And that's a very dangerous aspect to play. No one was expecting the classic heroes to disappear, that what everyone familiar with superhero comics should know.

But when you push brand new characters that gain traction in sales on the back of diversity, only to remove those characters as if diversity is seasonal,
    is going to create a backlash like very little they seen. It would be a different story IF these characters all crashed and burn because of sales. But totally awesome hulk is being sent to scholastic so that young asian kids can enjoy seeing a character look like them be a hulk, or moon girl. Many of these books are books with a decent selling to good selling displays in the print book alone, let alone other mediums like digital and trades.

If Marvel goes down this path of removing diverse heroes, well let's just say the direct market is going to head to early grave much faster than expected.
    I don't think Marvel is removing diversity though. Jane may or may not die according to her story, but most of the other characters are still around. Falcon has his own title again, Ms Marvel isn't going anywhere. Moon Girl isn't going anywhere. Riri may or may not get a spin off but if she doesn't she'll probably end up in a team book They are still using new Ghost Rider. I can't imagine about Cho however. ..

Michael B. Jordan is directing his first movie. Sounds interesting.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...h-feet-1056748

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I don't think Marvel is removing diversity though. Jane may or may not die according to her story, but most of the other characters are still around. Falcon has his own title again, Ms Marvel isn't going anywhere. Moon Girl isn't going anywhere. Riri may or may not get a spin off but if she doesn't she'll probably end up in a team book They are still using new Ghost Rider. I can't imagine about Cho however. ..
    Cho is interesting because Marvel actually does seem interested in pushing him because he's one of their few Asian superheroes of any notoriety, but they seem to have trouble marketing him because his only superpower is being really smart, which isn't very fun to watch. They made him Hulk in the comics but they also made him the new Iron Spider in the final few seasons of Ultimate Spider-Man. They have an interest in pushing him but I don't think they've yet cracked how to actually sell him to a mainstream audience as a standard superhero.
    Last edited by Holt; 11-09-2017 at 03:29 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Something that occurred to me: I'm jumping back on Justice League for Priest, so hopefully they don't rush him off the book just so they can give it to Bendis...
    McDuffie's JLA says hi.

He actually sold and got chased off.

Priest better hit top 10 or we will see Bendis.

What's more likely is that they just give Bendis his own Justice League spin-off, like when they launched the new Avengers Assemble book for him after the Avengers movie came out in 2012. They'll want the hype of having a huge star writer and a new #1 to put the cover. Probably starring the movie characters too and some of Bendis' faves like Zatanna.

Bendis was the buffer, as long as bendis was under the pen, no matter what happened to the other legacy characters, Miles and Riri was safe. Now, that safety blanket is gone, and I'm afraid what the future holds for marvel.
    Miles is gonna be fine. Even without Bendis protection, Marvel clearly has an interest in the character that extends beyond comics. He was heavily featured in the last Spider-Man cartoon and is also in the current one. He's been in a bunch of games already and is set to appear in the hotly anticipated PS4 Spider-Man game coming out. He just got a YA novel that was on the New York Times Best Sellers list. He's had action figures made of him and even a Lego set. And to top that all off he's getting his own animated film next year.

Riri, is less certain. But worst case scenario, she probably joins the Champions or one of the Avengers books.
    Last edited by Holt; 11-09-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Justice league Detroit by Bendis.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Then Hickman gets Legion Of Super Heroes. He's an avowed fan.

His Avengers run might as well have been a test for Legion run.

I look forward to DC fans saying this is great and then not buy it much like Priest and his Deathstroke run

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Wildstorm: Michael Cray...

In addition to a team that is entirely minority, Michael's doctor is female/minority/Muslim.

If folks want to support book that features a minority cast, here is a pretty good chance.

I've been buying it off of Comixology, I really enjoyed #2.

I Didn’t Give a Sh*t About Marvel Movies Till I Saw Tessa Thompson in Thor: Ragnarok
    http://www.vulture.com/2017/11/in-pr...-ragnarok.html

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    What's more likely is that they just give Bendis his own Justice League spin-off, like when they launched the new Avengers Assemble book for him after the Avengers movie came out in 2012. They'll want the hype of having a huge star writer and a new #1 to put the cover. Probably starring the movie characters too and some of Bendis' faves like Zatanna.

Miles is gonna be fine. Even without Bendis protection, Marvel clearly has an interest in the character that extends beyond comics. He was heavily featured in the last Spider-Man cartoon and is also in the current one. He's been in a bunch of games already and is set to appear in the hotly anticipated PS4 Spider-Man game coming out. He just got a YA novel that was on the New York Times Best Sellers list. He's had action figures made of him and even a Lego set. And to top that all off he's getting his own animated film next year.

Riri, is less certain. But worst case scenario, she probably joins the Champions or one of the Avengers books.
    But we have to realize is that a lot of Miles extension into other mediums was because of the pull that bendis has. Think about it, if we were going by sales, then we would have saw Jane Thor in the same spots that miles were in before Miles. But Miles is essentially the biggest newest legacy character in the general audience, and I obviously believe that's largely due to Bendis pull.

Now that pull is gone. Now I think I will retract my statement about miles other media push disappearing. Unlike the comic book audience, I think miles has such a dedicated following that he should continue to exist in cartoons, video games and more. But within comics? That's a different story. I don't see his series being below 20k but I do see it being around there now.

But we have to realize is that a lot of Miles extension into other mediums was because of the pull that bendis has. Think about it, if we were going by sales, then we would have saw Jane Thor in the same spots that miles were in before Miles.
    I don't really believe that. For one, the key thing that has Spider-Man so much more prominent than Jane is that Spider-Man is a much more popular character than Thor. Thor is big, don't get me wrong. But he's not Spider-Man big. That's why we're on our second Spider-Man show in under five years while Thor has never even had his own series. So that explains a lot of what you're talking about with Miles getting more of a push than Jane in other media. When it comes right down to it, Spider-Man as a brand is simply a bigger and more marketable platform to launch a character from.

Miles is also easier to work into adaptations due to his background. Depending on what era we're talking about he's either from a parallel dimension or Peter's apprentice, so he's not hard to work into a cartoon. Jane's entire existence hinges on Thor being stripped of his hammer though, so if you're trying to use her, it kind of requires throwing classic Thor under the bus, which for obvious reasons is something you don't want to do since he's so popular.

In fact that's probably the same reason Kamala Khan also has a bigger media push than Jane as well. She and Miles are characters you can just do stuff with and not have to worry about how you get from Point A to Point B like you do with getting Mjolnir into Jane's hand.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I've been buying it off of Comixology, I really enjoyed #2.
    So far, I'm a pretty big fan.

It's like a nice happy medium between The X-Files and a slightly more grounded version of Planetary.

Looks like we can add George Takei to the list of men accused of inappropriate sexual behaviour in Hollywood

https://www.avclub.com/george-takei-...cussion-region