Page 14 of 111 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

and why did Bendis bother to introduce that woman with the eye patch?

^lame!

He may have had more plans for her that got scrapped when he defected to DC?
    Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    Gillen made a comment (on a letters page during his "Iron Man" run) that the adoption reveal was handed down to him. (But, Gillen's phrasing implies that he chose Arno for the "lost" Stark baby. But, the adoption idea itself was not his.)

The common assumption is that the adoption reveal was to make Bendis happy. (At the time, Marvel was getting ready to hand Iron Man off to Bendis....who promptly did nothing with it.)
    You have your timeline wrong there. Tom Taylor's Superior Iron Man was before Bendis, so they couldn't have been planning for Bendis to take over Iron Man when Gillen was writing him.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-23-2020 at 10:49 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

These headshot variants are Machine Man 2020 homages AND a series of Tony by the decades covers!

IRON MAN 2020 #4 (OF 6)
    DAN SLOTT & CHRISTOS GAGE (W) • PETE WOODS (A)
    5th Color Fluorescent Ink Cover by PETE WOODS
    CONNECTING VARIANT COVER BY SIMONE BIANCHI (4 OF 6)
    HEADS VARIANT COVER BY SUPERLOG
    VARIANT COVER BY RON LIM
    Variant Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU
    Yeah. That horrible thing actually happened last issue. We know. It was NOT cool. So we are totally making it up to you RIGHT NOW. That character you really liked from a while ago? The one who you thought was absolutely, certifiably dead? Surprise! She’s back! But how is that even possible? And what does that mean for the future of all things Iron–Man? Read the book, fleshbag.
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99

2020 RESCUE #2 (OF 2)
    DANA SCHWARTZ (W)
    JACEN BURROWS (A)
    Cover by PACO MEDINA
    Variant Cover by MIRKA ANDOLFO
    The hunt is on for Tony Stark’s birth parents, but with his rock star mom in the wind and his Hydra agent dad on the run, it’s not going to be easy for Rescue to track them down. She’s going to need the help of an old friend to get the job done…
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

2020 FORCE WORKS #3 (OF 3)
    MATTHEW ROSENBERG (W)
    JUANAN RAMÍREZ (A/C)
    Variant cover by Ryan Brown
    • Fighting for human survival against a robot revolution!
    • When Ultimo arrives on the scene, will Force Works be able to band together or be broken apart by the Doomsday Machine’s onslaught?
    • Plus, find out who’s really been pulling the strings in this epic series conclusion!
    32 pages/Rated T+ …$3.99

BLACK CAT #11
    JED MACKAY (W) • Carlos Villa (A) • Cover by J. SCOTT CAMPBELL
    MARVEL ZOMBIES VARIANT COVER BY GREG LAND • Black Cat’s Marvel U crime spree continues!
    • This issue, Felicia Hardy is breaking into Stark Unlimited.
    • Wait, Black Cat vs. Iron Man? I’m pretty worried. For Tony.
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

AERO #10
    ZHOU LIEFEN & AMY CHU (W)
    KENG (A/C)
    WORLDS COLLIDE!
    • LEI LING meets TONY STARK for the first time! What’s behind IRON MAN’s surprise visit to Shanghai? Does he know the truth behind Aero’s secret identity?
    • Meanwhile, Aero’s nemesis MADAME HUANG is back! Her deadly plan threatens not only all of Shanghai…but the entire world!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Is the character...Rumiko ?

Pepper deserves so much better then being stuck in a story about Tony's biological parents .

I'm excited for Felicia and Tony .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Is the character...Rumiko ?

Pepper deserves so much better then being stuck in a story about Tony's biological parents .

I'm excited for Felicia and Tony .
    Why are they even necessary for this story? Who was even asking for the biological parents to return? I swear this is just gonna be about Slott taking more chances to piss on Howard and Maria while propping up the retcon nobody was asking for.

If they're his birth parents, that means they're inherently important and should be explored more. On my long list of complaints with the Bendis run, one of the points about why the last arc is a mess is Hydra Dad's return being a huge mic drop moment that goes nowhere, isn't explored, and is wrapped up within two seconds.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Why are they even necessary for this story? Who was even asking for the biological parents to return? I swear this is just gonna be about Slott taking more chances to piss on Howard and Maria while propping up the retcon nobody was asking for.
    Jeez, and here we thought Slott was gonna retcon this mess *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    If they're his birth parents, that means they're inherently important and should be explored more. On my long list of complaints with the Bendis run, one of the points about why the last arc is a mess is Hydra Dad's return being a huge mic drop moment that goes nowhere, isn't explored, and is wrapped up within two seconds.
    I do not think they are important and should be explored. First of all, their introduction was ass and the characters are obnoxious. Bendis was just being edgy. And why would Pepper track them down? Amanda willingly left her “son” after finding out he isn’t carrying her DNA which just shows what kind of character she is. And the dad is a hydra agent, jeez.

I am kinda excited to see who is this character returning!
    Yikes, my grammar has gone to ****. Rip

iMan 42s

Well the issue with the parents is simply summed up in them sucking as characters and Slott hasn't done that much better than Bendis. It was a retcon nobody but whoever that was in editorial asked for and the characters we did get and the story behind Tony's birth is convoluted and lame. Who is dying on the hill for Hydra dad and Rocker mom? Spoilers, nobody. Hydra Dad and Rocker Mom could vanish from history tomorrow and nobody'd bat an eye other than people already involved.

And frankly what an odd decision that even was when the general public knows of Howard and Maria Stark. That's something old fans knew and the newer fans know and to just throw a monkey wrench in that while promoting his relationship to Howard and Maria is just a bonkers move. The MCU is never going to address Amanda Armstrong. The cartoons are never going to bring up Hydra Dad. No game is going to make that a plot-point beyond lip-service (about as much acknowledgement as the Scarlet Spider got in Spidey games at best). And yeah, the characters are only still being brought up because against all odds when people told them to stop they kept them on the book. Nobody is dying on this hill. It's an odd and frankly inept move at making Tony interesting and I guess inclusive that landed about as well as the Mark 1.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Yeah, I remember being excited about the mystery of Stark's true parents until the reveal. Then I was incredibly let down. One of the biggest cases of "oh...that's it?...oh" I've ever felt from a work of fiction.

I especially didn't like that they both turned out to be wasps. Stark has generally been drawn with a Mediterranean vibe. I figured that was because he was part Italian, and that maybe he was partly Jewish as well, what with his grandad being named Isaac and the German last name. That was my headcanon, anyway. Him turning out to be pure wasp was.."oh..that's it?...oh" in addition to just about everything else about the reveal also being full of "oh...that's it?...oh".

These headshot variants are Machine Man 2020 homages AND a series of Tony by the decades covers!

IRON MAN 2020 #4 (OF 6)
    DAN SLOTT & CHRISTOS GAGE (W) • PETE WOODS (A)
    5th Color Fluorescent Ink Cover by PETE WOODS
    CONNECTING VARIANT COVER BY SIMONE BIANCHI (4 OF 6)
    HEADS VARIANT COVER BY SUPERLOG
    VARIANT COVER BY RON LIM
    Variant Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU
    Yeah. That horrible thing actually happened last issue. We know. It was NOT cool. So we are totally making it up to you RIGHT NOW. That character you really liked from a while ago? The one who you thought was absolutely, certifiably dead? Surprise! She’s back! But how is that even possible? And what does that mean for the future of all things Iron–Man? Read the book, fleshbag.
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99

2020 RESCUE #2 (OF 2)
    DANA SCHWARTZ (W)
    JACEN BURROWS (A)
    Cover by PACO MEDINA
    Variant Cover by MIRKA ANDOLFO
    The hunt is on for Tony Stark’s birth parents, but with his rock star mom in the wind and his Hydra agent dad on the run, it’s not going to be easy for Rescue to track them down. She’s going to need the help of an old friend to get the job done…
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

2020 FORCE WORKS #3 (OF 3)
    MATTHEW ROSENBERG (W)
    JUANAN RAMÍREZ (A/C)
    Variant cover by Ryan Brown
    • Fighting for human survival against a robot revolution!
    • When Ultimo arrives on the scene, will Force Works be able to band together or be broken apart by the Doomsday Machine’s onslaught?
    • Plus, find out who’s really been pulling the strings in this epic series conclusion!
    32 pages/Rated T+ …$3.99

BLACK CAT #11
    JED MACKAY (W) • Carlos Villa (A) • Cover by J. SCOTT CAMPBELL
    MARVEL ZOMBIES VARIANT COVER BY GREG LAND • Black Cat’s Marvel U crime spree continues!
    • This issue, Felicia Hardy is breaking into Stark Unlimited.
    • Wait, Black Cat vs. Iron Man? I’m pretty worried. For Tony.
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

AERO #10
    ZHOU LIEFEN & AMY CHU (W)
    KENG (A/C)
    WORLDS COLLIDE!
    • LEI LING meets TONY STARK for the first time! What’s behind IRON MAN’s surprise visit to Shanghai? Does he know the truth behind Aero’s secret identity?
    • Meanwhile, Aero’s nemesis MADAME HUANG is back! Her deadly plan threatens not only all of Shanghai…but the entire world!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
    Thanks for the share Snoop Dogg. I'm digging the by the decade Iron Man variants. I'll be getting this one and the other one with Tony on it. I will for sure check out Black Cat #11 and Aero #10.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    Jeez, and here we thought Slott was gonna retcon this mess *shrugs*

I do not think they are important and should be explored. First of all, their introduction was ass and the characters are obnoxious. Bendis was just being edgy. And why would Pepper track them down? Amanda willingly left her “son” after finding out he isn’t carrying her DNA which just shows what kind of character she is. And the dad is a hydra agent, jeez.

I am kinda excited to see who is this character returning!
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Well the issue with the parents is simply summed up in them sucking as characters and Slott hasn't done that much better than Bendis. It was a retcon nobody but whoever that was in editorial asked for and the characters we did get and the story behind Tony's birth is convoluted and lame. Who is dying on the hill for Hydra dad and Rocker mom? Spoilers, nobody. Hydra Dad and Rocker Mom could vanish from history tomorrow and nobody'd bat an eye other than people already involved.

And frankly what an odd decision that even was when the general public knows of Howard and Maria Stark. That's something old fans knew and the newer fans know and to just throw a monkey wrench in that while promoting his relationship to Howard and Maria is just a bonkers move. The MCU is never going to address Amanda Armstrong. The cartoons are never going to bring up Hydra Dad. No game is going to make that a plot-point beyond lip-service (about as much acknowledgement as the Scarlet Spider got in Spidey games at best). And yeah, the characters are only still being brought up because against all odds when people told them to stop they kept them on the book. Nobody is dying on this hill. It's an odd and frankly inept move at making Tony interesting and I guess inclusive that landed about as well as the Mark 1.
    I agree with you guys. Why is this being explored?!?! I thought when Amanda left in the Stark Realities story line that she was being written off. I guess I got my hopes up to soon. Also and Tony's dad?!?!?! He is a one note character. He was shown maybe twice and now he's being brought back?! I really don't care for it.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 01-24-2020 at 04:26 AM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

I mean, I get on paper why they should be important, but I just don't see a need for it by this point.

I know you're a fan of Amanda but it doesn't feel like writers have succeeded in making her a significant part of Iron Man's mythos or supporting cast.

We agree on how much of a mess Bendis' last arc was though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I agree with you guys. Why is this being explored?!?! I thought when Amanda left in the Stark Realities story line that she was being written off. I guess I got my hopes up to soon. Also and Tony's dad?!?!?! He is a one note character. He was shown maybe twice and now he's being brought back?! I really don't care for it.
    I think with the storyline's current questions/concerns regarding Tony Stark's identity as either a living person or an A.I., his biological parents may end up being important in some way to re-establishing Tony's identity as a "real" person.

Also the subject of "identity" is something of a theme running through the whole run thus far, so dealing with the biological parents as well as the recently restored versions of his adoptive parents, fits with that theme and may be significant in terms of resolving some of these issues for Tony.

I can understand why fans who dislike the whole adoption reveal would be disappointed to be dealing with them again -- but I think with Tony's identity crisis subplot that has been running through the series lately, it was inevitable that they'd have to be dealt with again.

classic case of "if it isn't broken, don't fix it." in 4 decades of life i never questioned Tony's parentage or thought that there was a potential story there with him being illegitimate. it's one of the least interesting stories that you could tell while delving into his childhood. how about the alcoholism and Tony "becoming" Howard? i think i might have been more ok with this if the reveal had been that Maria wasn't his biological mother. he would have, at least, kept the connection to Howard and the Stark name. but it's just goofy to replace both parents; especially with two equally generic new characters. Anthony Armstrong < Tony Stark
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 01-24-2020 at 11:07 AM.

Mighty Member

I am going for the Trimpe-riff covers. But, I am tempted to buy multiple variants just because I like more than one cover.

You have your timeline wrong there. Tom Taylor's Superior Iron Man was before Bendis, so they couldn't have been planning for Bendis to take over Iron Man when Gillen was writing him.
    Gillen's run on "Iron Man" was truncated when Marvel re-assigned him to work on one of the "Star Wars" comics. (At the time, Gillen said something to the effect of he had a choice, and almost stayed on "Iron Man", until somebody talked sense to him.)

Taylor was subbing for Gillen.

More importantly, Bendis taking over "Iron Man" for the post-"Secret Wars" relaunch was planned well in advance. The days of comics being written issue by issue, with no planning, are long over. Realisitcally, we can assume that Marvel plans stuff 1 or 2 years in advance.

All things considered, I am impressed how well Gillen made the adoption reveal work (for as bad as it was). He managed to keep it consistent with the high concept of his run. (It is unfair to blame him for how badly it worked with previously established history, because he cannot be responsible for that.) Yes, the adoption angle is dumb. It contradicts logic established over years' worth of comics. (Hell, reading "the Secret Origin of Tony Stark" and "God Killer" makes me think that it was handed to Gillen at the last minute.)

Personally, I agree. I would be fine is Marvel just ignored the adoption reveal, and said it "never happened" when asked.

But, we know Marvel is not going to do that.

Part of this is because there are fans (including some people in this thread) who cannot let stuff go. Remember all of the back-written Captain Americas in the 1970s? That was because fans could not simply ignore a forgettable run of comics from the 50s that Marvel clearly did not want to talk about. The problem would be even worse today because the modern iterations of those obsessive fans have the internet to boost and normalize their fixations. (The back-written Captain Americas are bad characters that showed up in bad comics. But, Marvel had to answer fan questions.)

The other thing to keep in mind is that Marvel can squeeze a few more comics out in order to "fix" a problem....that they caused. We can safely assume that the back-written parents (rockstar and Hydra agent) will be revealed as part of the evil plot that gave us the "fake" adoption reveal. One of us is going to buy/read/summarize those comics.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/