Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member Bslythegamerguy's Avatar

Default Dynamite's PULP HEROES megathread! The Shadow, Green Hornet, Zorro etc

I figured I'd kick-off the Dynamite Comics pulp thread here since the forums have been wiped out.

I'd love to know what everyone is thinking about the new Howard Chaykin miniseries that's about to hit, The Shadow: Midnight in Moscow, as well as the upcoming Justice Inc book that's on it's way. Also, we're waiting on an official announcement from Nick Barucci as it pertains to these classic pulp characters and what their future holds at Dynamite that is set to come soon. Many are speculating that it's going to be a relaunch of the line that will feature these characters in rotating mini's rather than ongoing titles, a move that many on the official Dynamite forums feel could give longevity to the line as a whole.

Discuss!

BANNED

Super excited for Warren Ellis' Project Superpowers.

Also waiting for the release of Matt Wagner's Zorro Omnibus!

I'm thinking the same thing that many other Dynamite pulp readers are thinking and demanding over on the Dynamite forums. I'm thinking that if Dynamite moved to the rotating miniseries format that this line could not only survive, but flourish. Releasing a burst of ongoing mini's for each character would allow the publisher to push two #1's a year and keep sales orders high through 4-6 issue mini's using top tier talent (something they are NOT short one, this could keep these classic pulp heroes in publication for quite some time to come. While we are currently awaiting an announcement from their CEO regarding this, I'm confident that the end result will be fantastic and I can't wait.

BANNED

Would be cool with the right creative teams and attractability.

Still hope Dynamite gives Phantom another shot.

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

I really hope to see The Spider again. That book was amazing! I also hope to see more Shadow books. Maybe a sequel of some sort to Masks?

Quote Originally Posted by steeplejack2112 View Post
    I really hope to see The Spider again. That book was amazing! I also hope to see more Shadow books. Maybe a sequel of some sort to Masks?
    If they are indeed working toward mini's with all the pulp characters than you'll see The Spider in the mix, he may also show up at some point in the Justice Inc title that is hitting soon.

Now, if Dynamite could also be a little more consistent in the release schedules for these books it might help. After a while, you can't even remember if half the books are still being published or not!

BANNED

I'd love to see Dynamite do The Phantom Detective and Secret Agent X.

Shocked they cancelled The Shadow ongoing. And pretty annoyed about it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by thewarning View Post
    Shocked they cancelled The Shadow ongoing. And pretty annoyed about it, too.
    I think it'll be more along the line of relaunching it at some point, maybe more as various mini-series rather than one continuous title. As it was, the book would frequently change writers and artists for arcs, so it could be pretty hit-or-miss as to what you were getting.

Certainly agree.

They cancelled all of their ongoing pulp books because they have a plan. The plan (according to DE forum speculation) is that Dynamite is going to relaunch the line using the mini-series format with all of their pulp characters being published at 4-6 issue clips. This would allow the company to promote a new #1 every so often and keep the books profitable, though keep in mind nothing has been set in stone as of yet.

Another possible belief is that Dynamite may be merging their pulp line with the Project Superpowers line with many of the pulp characters being used by Warren Ellis during his Project Superpowers run, but again.....nothing confirmed.

BANNED

It could be. Time will tell.....

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
    PS. How was Captain Action mini-series?
    If you mean Codename: Action, I enjoyed it.
    (Though I could have sworn it was originally announced as a six issue series, not five as it turned out to be.)