Page 36 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    It is normal that none of the omega powers are physical. There comes a point where no matter how strong or resistant you are (Hulk, Juggernaut ...), it is intrinsically limited. You can have unlimited strength that while it is physical, you can never apply it unlimitedly.
    right noww it seems thats the case but I think someone like Sunspot whom absorbs energy to augment his strength could potentially be considered one in the future if said mutant were to have no limit in the amount of energy they can absorb and convert

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Magneto didn´t need help for this

But this is comics, anyone can win over anyone else no matter how powerful they are unless they are called Batman XD, the fact of the matter is that in groups all powerful characters don´t last much because then what´s the point of being a group? Storm, Jean, Exodus, Magneto, Lorna all have very interesting feats but also moments when their powers didn´t work right or they were depowered because plot called for it so I don´t think it matters much who is or isn´t an omega level mutant, what is interesting is how the writers use this fact about the character inside the story, Hickman is a writer that likes to put rules over the characters powers because it makes easier writting them but I get the sense that being an omega in HoX is not exactly a good thing considering they are seen as natural resources, not as people, I think Hickman will tackle those issues.

Agreed ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Interesting to note none of the powers listed are physical. All of the omegas so far have psionic ability in some form. Even though one could make the argument that Elixir's powers are physical the fact that he could tell the mpox was scared of him when he was healing it shows its psionic.
    That's a good observation ! Maybe it's because there aren't that many mutants which power is to be super strong. Sunspot comes to my mind. Cargill too. But that's it. Colossus is more resilient than strong. Rogue stole her powers from Carol Danvers. And mutants power and humans power tend to end quite different in the MCU.

Can someone explain how Hope is an Omega? She can mimic powers but her listing has her as power manipulation; how does she do that? When has she ever manipulated a a power? What does that even mean?

That cant be a fancy way to say mimicry bc I think that would have just been stated. Her mimicry has a limit as it fades with distance, time and usage and she can only mimic mutant powers, not other superbeings like Rogue. She also cant perma-mimic a person's powers like Rogue can (with extended touch). Her mimicry has clear limitations and is outclassed in certain regards by Rogue. So it goes back to my original question; what power manipulation ability does Hope have?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Jacket View Post
    That's a good observation ! Maybe it's because there aren't that many mutants which power is to be super strong. Sunspot comes to my mind. Cargill too. But that's it. Colossus is more resilient than strong. Rogue stole her powers from Carol Danvers. And mutants power and humans power tend to end quite different in the MCU.
    Colossus is super strength. Multiple mutants change change their form and thus become super resilient/durable (Piotr, Emma, Husk) but the difference is that his transformation gives him super strength.

Other mutants with super strength include Beast, Primal, Rockslide, Monet, Strong Guy, Gentle
    Last edited by Havok83; 07-26-2019 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    The simple answer to this is that Magneto has been moved up the scale, not that Polaris has been reduced. Can we measure what Polaris can do. In theory her powers are quite easy to measure. You place her on the Mega Gauss Oersteds scale. The suggestion is that Magneto is not on that scale. That he has taken his power further than mere manipulation of magnetic forces or electromagnetic manipulation. Years ago we used to see him doing things that seemed to have nothing to do with magnetism. He seemed to go further, manipulation of minds and of other things. ‘The brain is electrical’ was the hand waving reason. Maybe this will be revisited.

It is entirely possible that Polaris is higher on the Mega Gauss Oersteds scale than Magneto. That’s not what being an Omega seems to mean.
    I'm just going to note that I wrote multiple posts on Tumblr (before Verizon decided to ruin it) pointing out the vast potential of these powers, and what could be done with Lorna that hasn't been, as well as how she could be differentiated from Magneto. One of those points was having pseudo-psychic powers. There have been studies where electromagnetism was suggested as able to affect memories, actions could be "implanted," thoughts could be read, etc. When I raised this as a possibility with Lorna, though, I emphasized that it should never outpace a full-fledged psychic. Not because "I think it couldn't happen," but because within this fiction, I felt it would be inappropriate and unfair to full-fledged psychic characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    And as far as the Polaris thing.. it does say in a particular mutation.. Maybe magnetism is not Polaris' most powerful mutation.. it seemed her negative emotion generation and absorption (post power stripping during Muir Island) was pretty powerful as it effected everyone she encountered and was powerful enough for the Shadow King to use. I really wish stuff like that would be addressed ( we people gain, loss or change powers).
    Those were less mutations and more "Claremont hates this character, and finding new ways to express it is one of his fetishes." Doesn't get much worse than replacing a character's actual powers with new ones that bring out the worst in people, make everyone want to beat her up and kill her, and have her think she deserves it. After getting treated poorly with Malice and Zaladane.

My headcanon way of changing those powers into something that isn't terrible is to say Zaladane forced new "powers" onto Lorna to try to hurt her.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Can someone explain how Hope is an Omega? She can mimic powers but her listing has her as power manipulation; how does she do that? When has she ever manipulated a a power? What does that even mean?

That cant be a fancy way to say mimicry bc I think that would have just been stated. Her mimicry has a limit as it fades with distance, time and usage and she can only mimic mutant powers, not other superbeings like Rogue. She also cant perma-mimic a person's powers like Rogue can (with extended touch). Her mimicry has clear limitations and is outclassed in certain regards by Rogue. So it goes back to my original question; what power manipulation ability does Hope have?

Colossus is super strength. Multiple mutants change change their form and thus become super resilient/durable (Piotr, Emma, Husk) but the difference is that his transformation gives him super strength.

Other mutants with super strength include Beast, Primal, Rockslide, Monet, Strong Guy, Gentle
    But there's the human factor. Hulk beats every mutants on physical abilities. Therefore, no mutants with a physical powerset can really be an omega.

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    But there's the human factor. Hulk beats every mutants on physical abilities. Therefore, no mutants with a physical powerset can really be an omega.
    I wasnt making the argument that any of those characters could be Omegas. I was simply clarifying that there are far more mutants with this power than the OP stated

Maybe it's because Hope was able to be a white Phoenix for a couple seconds.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I'm still mad that Exodus is here. Didn't he get bullied by Jubilee?
    If he doesnt belong, how can Jean be here? After what Stryfe did to her..Onslaught did...Exodus did..she was just a captive in all those storylines and meant nothing. If there is a Grey that transcends all potential..its of course Nate Grey.

BANNED

Magneto's been weakened since the late 90s. We already saw him reach his upper limit in Fatal Attractions. Since the late 90s, he's had to revert to other means to help boost him. Fabian Cortez did it for a while. Polaris helped him when she was on Genosha. Under Morrison, Kick amplified his powers (which was later retconned). Under Bunn, he used Mothervine to help him defeat and escape from the villians. He peaked already and Hickman's definition of Omega doesnt make sense for him. I stated earlier that Magneto is like a retired athlete that has to rely on steroids
    Where was those steroids when he stopped Proteus from killing Rogue and Psylocke? When Magneto is on the X men, he's gonna be powered down so all of the problems arent solved in #1. Magneto made Thor look like a nobody in Avengers vs X Men #4. He's a whole different level compared to the X men, Legion, Exodus, Proteus...that's why he is so feared and why the Fantastic Four and Avengers did nothing when he took over Genosha and when he walked away with Wanda. Levels.

Magneto is a God-like mutant but it's his genius which allowes him to flourish.

BANNED

Power manipulation is what she's done to activate the Lights powers and reignite mutant birth and activation. A feat no other being human or mutant had managed to achieve.

I think some of the people listed are there not because of what they've done so far but what they can do. It's the unlimited potential or whatever, so even if they are not as impressive yet they can keep getting stronger without any limit holding them back.

That being said I'm salty Xavier and Emma are no longer Omega Telepaths.
    "I wish I could live life five times over!
    Then I’d be born in five different places,
    and I’d stuff myself with different food from around the world.
    I’d live five different lives with five different occupations...
    and then, for those five times...
    I’d fall in love with the same person...
    "

- Orihime Inoue

Mighty Member

Well, Hope did reset Rogue's powers.. She also was the catalyst for new mutants emerging again and she stabilized their mutations.. Maybe thats where he got that from.

I still don't understand why people keep bringing up low showings or saying character a beat character b before. The list is about potential and characters whose powers can reach a potential unregisterable limit. They aren't always at max level or such crap. Bringing up win records or comparisons seems pointless.

BANNED

Chris Claremont during his Excaliber run said outright..Magneto can damn near do anything potentially...that was the wormhole days. Hickman knows what he's doing. Let it play out.