Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any hope for Fallon Grey?

I mentioned in another thread the other day Marvel announced a Blade book about a character called Fallon Grey Blade's long lost teen daughter and he would train her this was during the launch in 2015 for All-New All-Different Marvel. The book hit a snag when some on Social media took issue as people do on Social Media with the writer Tim Seeley being a white male and writing a African-American Female even if the character was his idea. He dropped out about September 2016 and since there hasn't been any word on the book.

With the Blade film having it's 20th Anniversary (Man that makes me feel old) which was Marvel's first big screen hit I'm hoping there will be some desire to bring the book to life. I was really interested in the concept.

Seeley is now DC exclusive, so this book won't be happening.

I like Blade better. I'm not sure that having a daughter would improve him.

I suspect the concept is probably dead. For me, the unfortunate thing about Seeley dropping out wasn't the loss of the character. It's that Marvel still hasn't hired any black women as ongoing writers. Seeley decided he agreed with the complaints about Marvel's lack of black woman writers. And since then, Marvel has yet to do a goddamn thing to actually fix the problem.

I think it's great idea that Blade a daughter, he use a a partner, needs more permanent support characters/could use a sidekick.. I don't find the name Fallon Gery all that appealing and whatever her name would be I'd make sure her last name is Brooks.. Also I'd probably make black British or Canadian or black British or Canadian & Sikh.

I’d love to see the project revived. It seemed very interesting and the designs were great. When they announced Afua Richardson would be taking over art duties I gained hope but alas nothing.

another way to erase Blade, especially if the mother is not black. Best left alone, IMO, beyond that, do an "elseworlds" story with this, I don't want it in the main universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I suspect the concept is probably dead. For me, the unfortunate thing about Seeley dropping out wasn't the loss of the character. It's that Marvel still hasn't hired any black women as ongoing writers. Seeley decided he agreed with the complaints about Marvel's lack of black woman writers. And since then, Marvel has yet to do a goddamn thing to actually fix the problem.
    Marvel definitely needs to hire more minority voices but its also a dangerous path to exclude writers because they don't match a characters race or gender. Because in a medium dominated by white male characters that thinking excludes minority creators too.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 12-03-2017 at 08:29 PM.

Incredible Member Chimeratengun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    another way to erase Blade, especially if the mother is not black. Best left alone, IMO, beyond that, do an "elseworlds" story with this, I don't want it in the main universe.
    That would be cool idea. Give her to the 2099(if it's still popular) it's pretty much an open world for new kids, hell she can team-up with Deadpool's kid to boost sales. As for her mother? I'm torn between; normal black woman and Spitfire.

Incredible Member

I'd say no, if only because with her having the last name "Grey" it is pretty much inevitable that at some point some writer will decide she's related to the Jean Grey family tree, and the X-family trees are already overcomplicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Marvel definitely needs to hire more minority voices but its also a dangerous path to exclude writers because they don't match a characters race or gender. Because in a medium dominated by white male characters that thinking excludes minority creators too.
    This was like shoot your own feet. In the end Marvel ending nixed the series because they give up to the 'net pressure.andeverybody lost:creators, Marvel and readers because a character than could had been interesting for some readers ended being a lost project. Also, if the idea came from Seeley, why he could not write it? This idea of you ca only write characters you "match" doesn't really guarantee quality. Ask America fans.

There is an possibility for the character to debut soon? Hardly. Right now Marvel is going in a era of "return to classics" and with Blade again prominent in Spirits of Vengence, I don't believe there is a chance to replace him with a female teenager. Suppously Marvel wantes to put that stage behind. Maybe in ten, fifteen years Fallon could had a chance.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    This was like shoot your own feet. In the end Marvel ending nixed the series because they give up to the 'net pressure.andeverybody lost:creators, Marvel and readers because a character than could had been interesting for some readers ended being a lost project. Also, if the idea came from Seeley, why he could not write it? This idea of you ca only write characters you "match" doesn't really guarantee quality. Ask America fans.
    It's not about creators "only" writing characters like them. It's about Marvel needing greater diversity among its writing staff in general. The people pushing for greater diversity aren't going to complain if a black woman writes Moon Knight instead of Fallon Grey. (Of course, there'd undoubtedly be some white boy whine-asses who'd bitch about it. But no one should give a damn about what those jackasses think anyway.)

It's not about creators "only" writing characters like them. It's about Marvel needing greater diversity among its writing staff in general. The people pushing for greater diversity aren't going to complain if a black woman writes Moon Knight instead of Fallon Grey. (Of course, there'd undoubtedly be some white boy whine-asses who'd bitch about it. But no one should give a damn about what those jackasses think anyway.)
    the funny thing about this statement is that "white boy"s arent the ones complaining about matching race, etc to the characters. This thread shows is the diversity militant, which love to point this out all the time about Bendis.

As much as I like Blade... I hated the idea of him having a daughter. Just another way to push a main character out of the way for another legacy character. Blade is by nature the 'loner' type who, while often a part of a group, hates and resents the other members of that group. Making him the 'dad' seems stupid to me. And frankly going the teenage girl route just felt like a Buffy Clone.

I'm glad that book died... now I want someone else to pick up the Blade character and run with it.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    As much as I like Blade... I hated the idea of him having a daughter. Just another way to push a main character out of the way for another legacy character. Blade is by nature the 'loner' type who, while often a part of a group, hates and resents the other members of that group. Making him the 'dad' seems stupid to me. And frankly going the teenage girl route just felt like a Buffy Clone.

I'm glad that book died... now I want someone else to pick up the Blade character and run with it.
    Being a loner doesn't mean he can't also have lovers. Nor does it mean that he couldn't have gotten one of them pregnant. And it doesn't mean that, upon learning he has a daughter, he wouldn't choose to spend time with her. And I don't think it would've been a way of pushing him aside. The intent seemed to be that it would be a duo book, and Blade's been around long enough that it's always an inevitability that he'd get used again.