Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Still not liking this new look. Its a mess. And I keep getting errors and page reloads.

Writing on the wall The Celtic Batman's Avatar

It's probably around this time we all begin to realise that G-Mo's Multiversity was actually a true life documentary series ;-)

One of the features I miss most from the 'old' (?) ComicBookResources News page was the ability to comment straight away via the link at the bottom of the article. I guess that did mean that in order to 'successfully interface' with the website you need to register.... But that's ok isn't it....? Unless the marketing guys in their presentations to management just kept bashing on and on about cross sector demographics and fluidity of blah de blah blah and market penetration and engagement and the future and trajectory of social media blah de blah..... And the owners just committed lock stock with Facebook, Twitter and the rest of the crowd.

Blah.

It's such a shame. And for those of us who were regulars on the DC Message Boards of old, Flashback Central. Remember the tipping point when DC did the same....? Suddenly you needed to interface with the new site via the big-brother-monitored social-tech-portal. AND THE DC MESSAGE BOARDS WERE CLOSED. Tenz's unofficial dc message boards are still going. But they're unofficial ;-)

I really hope CBR stays invested in their core audience via the Forums. Population 'penetration' via social media may be broader, but surely it's also largely more 'fickle'... And transient.....? And that's not coming (at least consciously) from an old-fan/anti-nu-fan place
    We're all the Doom Patrol!!!
    Opinions come in all shapes and sizes.
    But they're still just opinions yo

Out of curiosity, has the new setup affected this site positively or negatively? Have people been visiting less or more? Or have people been skipping the front page and opening the forum?
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    Out of curiosity, has the new setup affected this site positively or negatively? Have people been visiting less or more? Or have people been skipping the front page and opening the forum?
    Just my experience, but CBR was the site I went to most. Now, with the new look I stopped coming here, if I do I just glance at the articles, maybe there is one comic-related one, but as I can't comment on any of them what is the use of having a comment section anyway.
    The forum is also nearly dead, sure, some activity, but different then before, when new articles on the front page spawned discussions, what remains is a more comatose forum.
    Sad

Completely stopped visiting the front page.

It'd been a while since there was much I cared about. It just became "news" about movies and tv shows I wasn't watching, but the revamp really kicked it up a notch.

I go to comic sites for news on comics. Previews, Reviews, Interviews. Not every and any snippet you can glean from the production of a movie that's 16 months away from release. Sadly, that's most "comic" sites now.

Quote Originally Posted by dimo1 View Post
    The forum is also nearly dead, sure, some activity, but different then before, when new articles on the front page spawned discussions, what remains is a more comatose forum.
    Sad
    It's a shame you don't have access to the actual statistics, then you'd know that doom and gloom story you're trying to sell isn't true. The only drop-off of significance since the change was new threads, and it's pretty safe to say the bulk of that drop is because of CBR News threads ending. User activity and new posts only took minor hits. The forums are doing fine.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    It's a shame you don't have access to the actual statistics, then you'd know that doom and gloom story you're trying to sell isn't true. The only drop-off of significance since the change was new threads, and it's pretty safe to say the bulk of that drop is because of CBR News threads ending. User activity and new posts only took minor hits. The forums are doing fine.
    So how's the new setup doing? Did it bring a nice bump in numbers?
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    So how's the new setup doing? Did it bring a nice bump in numbers?
    I can't speak for the main site.
    Conn Seanery

This is probably a good time to clarify something.
    The main CBR website and the forums are essentially managed by two different groups of people. The main site by the paid writers, contributors, editors and so on.
    The forums are run by the three admins (Conn, Expletive Deleted and myself), the super moderators and moderators. The forum folk do not run the main site. We do not have access to any statistics regarding the main CBR site. Oh, and we are all volunteers.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

Well, what I see are the usual threads being continued, but as you mentioned, new ones are dropping.
    I enjoyed reading an article on the main page, which later on was discussed in the forums. Nearly all new Image books were discussed there, nowadays not a word about Mark Millar's and Greg Capullo's Reborn, or Rick Remeder's and Opena's 7 to Eternity.
    Trust me, I am not one of those , 'but in the olden days...' doomsayers, but my feeling is the exact opposite of what you are saying.
    Anyway, it is good to see that you are thriving then.

The new look is unworkable, pages take forever to load due to the stupid amount of ads and random nonsense in the middle of articles. The old site was a lot faster to load up and it didn't freeze when trying to scroll down. It took me about 10 minutes to try to read one article

Spectacular Member

I just read a few posts back that the main site and the forum are run by different teams, so no shade for the forum folks.

But the main site? garbage. The monthly solicitations are impossible to manage. The weekly book previews I don't think are even available anymore. These stupid list things I guess drive traffic to the site, but they are useless.

Bummed…I used to enjoy CBR.
    @BIRDSINBOXES on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Birdsinboxes View Post
    The weekly book previews I don't think are even available anymore.
    http://www.cbr.com/category/comics/previews/

cbr.com > Comics > Previews
    Conn Seanery

Quote Originally Posted by Birdsinboxes View Post
    I just read a few posts back that the main site and the forum are run by different teams, so no shade for the forum folks.

But the main site? garbage. The monthly solicitations are impossible to manage. The weekly book previews I don't think are even available anymore. These stupid list things I guess drive traffic to the site, but they are useless.

Bummed…I used to enjoy CBR.
    I, personally, stopped going to CBR's main site, since the forum was always my gateway/portal to it (through the threads that were nothing more than 'read this here').

The forums, themselves, seem to be doing fine, if only lacking because of the disappearance of threads that were spawned by the articles.

However, today, I was reading a thread and an audio ad started (one reason I stopped going to Bleeding Cool or using CBR for checking the monthly solicitations).
    My first reaction was to look and see what tabs I had open. And realized I only had the one for the forums open. Then I looked to see if I had a pop-up... or a program running that I might've left open. Nope.
    It was a banner ad at the very bottom of the page. Had to click on it to turn the sound off.

Auto-run banner ads with un-muted audio are a surefire way to lose visitors.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Spectacular Member

I appreciate that, thanks.

Still…looking at the site on mobile is 100% impossible. And on my desktop its full screen ads nonstop. What happened here? Clearly the site is getting a ton of negative feedback about the changes. Does no one in charge care?
    @BIRDSINBOXES on Instagram