Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 LastLast
    Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    GoT in the First season was not that riveting either, it was more of, WTF just happened? or WTF is happening?
    Basically.
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

GoT in the First season was not that riveting either, it was more of, WTF just happened? or WTF is happening?
    That is what made it compelling. We were interesting in where it was going.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Well I like it. It's story about a medieval mafia family with dragons.

I disagree. First episode opens up with Night's Watch rangers finding - and getting killed by - what we now know were White Walkers, with one ranger surviving to tell the tale. There was already a mystery, and an overall menace, being set up in the first five minutes alone.

I was expecting the king to live to see the finale, but given how rapidly he was deteriorating, I shouldn't be surprised he died when he did.

So this could go for 4 seasons, eh? I'd be on board for that, I wonder how the show would shift focus and reinvent itself along the way.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

This was going well until the ending- Rhaenys could have ended the war right there but just didn't bother.

Finally an episode that lived up to expectations. Solid character development on pivotal characters, and an actual duel. I'm not expecting this show to be the medieval version of John Wick, but jeez Louise, has this series been lacking in that department.

We also got to discover the fact Larys Hightower is not only a conniving fellow willing to kill his own father & brother for political maneuvering, but he also has an intense foot fetish and is worthy of masturbating to the queen's feet while in the same room. Now that's a life of luxury! Kind of makes you wonder what Queen Alicent is willing to go through for political gain.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    This was going well until the ending- Rhaenys could have ended the war right there but just didn't bother.
    That's standard procedure for a Game of Thrones series. The real villains aren't the truly evil, vile people who abuse children or sell women into servitude. It's the good and noble people who think they are keeping their word and acting in faith.

Sure, blasting an entire family with dragon fire is an objectively heinous act. But the calculus in that moments was a dozen highborn or MILLIONS of innocent smallfolk. Also, you know, winning the civil war before it starts, but let's not be selfish.

Rhaenys is this series' version of Ned Stark. Ultimately too noble to not plunge the kingdom into an apocalyptic war. The way this franchise keeps finding ways to invert the standard chivalric expectation that good people doing good things will have good outcomes never ceases to make me chuckle.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    But the calculus in that moments was a dozen highborn or MILLIONS of innocent smallfolk.
    I mean, she did kill and injure a lot of innocent civilians as well in that scene so it isn't like she cares about them.

Ya something happened good episode I mean ROP was way better but I'm not complaining hopefully season 2 keeps up this pace.

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    That would mean killing her cousin's children and given how she feels about family, I doubt she'd be down for that. There hasn't been any kinslaying going on yet. It also fits with the peasant-nobility double standard HOTD has been (deliberately) showing: nobody really cares about peasants being raped, mistreated or dying.

- Viserys was callous about the Crabfeeder torturing and killing sailors. When Corlys brought up sailors dying, Viserys talked about compensating Corlys. Also, depending on how you interpret Corlys' outrage, he's either outraged at their deaths or he's outraged at the potential financial loss he stands to incur and will continue to suffer.

- Daemon and Rhaenyra has an innocent servant killed to facilitate Laenor's escape.

- Alicent is horrified that Aegon has raped a servant, but she still threatens the servant into silence and forces her to give up her life (and whatever family she might have) on pain of death. Even when she's confronting Aegon about it, it's about how it reflects on her and their family ("Think of the shame on your wife. On me.")

- Rhaenys won't kill family, but she doesn't batter an eye at making a lot of peasants into casualties for the sake of making a cool entrance that's meant to make a point to the Greens.

- Aegon frequents a child-fighting ring and fathers obvious bastards (who are going to be forced to fight in said ring)
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 10-17-2022 at 04:14 AM.

Episode 9 was better than most of the show. I am glad that Queen Allicent is getting her way.

Bored with horrible, tedious people only caring about ruling, but not what they would do when they do rule.
    Though I like the last 3 minutes. First time a dragon scene was exciting.

Here is a thought on Rhaenys holding back the dragon fire. GOT didn’t shy away from those major shifts. They killed the star of the show in Ned Stark, they killed the main protagonist who took over, with his family, Rob Stark in the Red Wedding. It would have been interesting tho kill all the Greens and take the story in a new direction, but they seem to want to keep this dynamic for the rest of the series.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 10-17-2022 at 06:30 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Watching the inside the episode for the end of episode 9; the director/writer and producers said they fabricated this scene to give Rhaenys a moment to be a badass. They stated they started with the idea of a dragon getting loose during Aegon's coronation. Then made it Rhaenys. Even though this didn't happen in the books and there's no reason for Rhaenys to still be in Kings Landing after the Driftmark succession was settled a second time.

Action movie **** for a trailer was TPTB's thinking here. It's really goofy and undermines the serious tone the episode was going for.

It creates a scenario where Rhaenys could have ended the war before it started with one word to her dragon. As the Green's were committing treason and usurping the throne. But Kinslaying is a heinous capital offense and Rhaenys doesn't know the future. Like TV Alicent and book Rhaenyra (although show Rhaenyra will likely be the same), Rhaenys naively believes this dynastic dispute can be settled with diplomacy and no bloodshed.

A lot like how Ned Stark thought he could win the GOT cleanly after Robert died and Joffrey was next to be crowned king.

And who says HOT D isn't similar to GOT? Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Bored with horrible, tedious people only caring about ruling, but not what they would do when they do rule.
    Though I like the last 3 minutes. First time a dragon scene was exciting.

Here is a thought on Rhaenys holding back the dragon fire. GOT didn’t shy away from those major shifts. They killed the star of the show in Ned Stark, they killed the main protagonist who took over, with his family, Rob Stark in the Red Wedding. It would have been interesting tho kill all the Greens and take the story in a new direction, but they seem to want to keep this dynamic for the rest of the series.
    Well the difference is that this scene didn't happen in the books. Because if it had, then she would have killed them and sent the story in a different direction than what we actually had written.