Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    Then what do you believe they really want?
    The same sh*t over and over and over and over again. Repeat into obsolescence.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jan Itor View Post
    As opposed to the Superman, Batman, Justice League, etc., that you are still getting over and over and over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jan Itor View Post
    That doesn't answer my question, though. Or are white women allowed to ask questions?
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It's funny Batman and friends got left alone for the most part. Because Dc understands you can't change those guys too much.
    If the sales had been lousy for Batman and friends, DC would have no qualms about changing them.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by TOXIC View Post
    Apparently one of the new things we learned is that gay has to be separate from lesbian.

Isn't that more a demand problem than a management one?

I feel like getting back into DC proper. Can't wait to see that new Batman Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    This is what fans want but we can't be sure the ones in charge want that.

The effort one puts into Batman should be the same effort that goes into Vibe or Prez or Midnighter. Problem is we have seen too much amateur hour done on some books. Then when that books fails the character gets tossed into limbo instead of someone else getting a shot.
    The top creative teams will go to the books that are selling the most. Since there isn't an ever ending supply of top talent, the lesser-selling characters will unfortunately suffer. Don't know how to change that equation.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The top creative teams will go to the books that are selling the most. Since there isn't an ever ending supply of top talent, the lesser-selling characters will unfortunately suffer. Don't know how to change that equation.
    Giving the lesser-selling characters better creative teams is another of those "new concepts" that Dan and the Gang REALLY need to discover. Isn't the idea of all this to get out of the usual Catch-22s??

These companies have a responsibility to appeal not just to new fans, but long time readers as well
    Actually, they don't.

I'm all for nostalgia and all but the only responsibility they have is to themselves, to ensure their own survival as a company. And if it means that now to look out for new readers is the way to go, well, it's their money on the table.

That's something maybe we tend to forget sometimes as we love so much those characters and we think only about them but there is people who are investing real money for those books to be published. And they want to make some money back.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by True Herald View Post
    Giving the lesser-selling characters better creative teams is another of those "new concepts" that Dan and the Gang REALLY need to discover. Isn't the idea of all this to get out of the usual Catch-22s??
    Plenty of cancelled titles had stellar creative teams on them in the past 3 years. You ar just ignoring the facts to try to push your point, but its not true eat all. I, Vampire had stellar creative talent and sold like shit. Swamp Thing post-Snyder was fantastic, sold like shit. Dial H was a great title, sold like shit. It's more like Dan and the Gang published plenty of books fans REALLY needed to discover.

Does it make sense, though, to divert top talent from the books that are selling to the ones that are not? It's not what we were taught in management class back in college, at any rate. I'm not saying this is an ideal situation, but it's certainly not illogical.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Riiiiiight. They keep hyping up things like "fresh characters" and "new concepts", but as long as the likes of not-so-fresh Superman and hardly-new Batman -- to use your own words -- remain the center of the DCU, all their hype will always be nothing but a load of hot air.

If they REALLY want to emphasize "fresh characters" and "new concepts", let's see them PROVE it. Stop publishing ANY pre-established characters and concepts, and come up with an ALL-NEW universe with ALL-NEW characters and concepts. Put up or shut up.

I didn't say anything about including every pre-established character. I'm just holding Dan and the Gang to their own words. Truth in advertising is the "new concept" they REALLY need to discover.
    Thank god you aren't running the company. Ok, let's get rid of the most popular superhero ever so that we can have "truth in advertising". Why are you spewing negativity on this thread? They are doing exactly what you wish - instead of 52 old school superhero books they are trimming that to 25 and trying out new concepts with the rest of the line. Everyone that's been crying for diversity, creator freedom, and new concepts just got exactly what they wanted. So why are the same old folks back complaining about this as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Actually, they don't.

I'm all for nostalgia and all but the only responsibility they have is to themselves, to ensure their own survival as a company. And if it means that now to look out for new readers is the way to go, well, it's their money on the table.

That's something maybe we tend to forget sometimes as we love so much those characters and we think only about them but there is people who are investing real money for those books to be published. And they want to make some money back.
    But why only look for what new readers want, when in reality, you COULD be giving both audiences what they want???

And if they want to make money, you are wrong: They need to appeal to as many people as possible. It would be stupid as hell, for ANY business, in ANY field to forget about long time customers/fans and only focus on new customers/fans. ESPECIALLY when it is completely in their power to make everyone happy.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Does it make sense, though, to divert top talent from the books that are selling to the ones that are not? It's not what we were taught in management class back in college, at any rate. I'm not saying this is an ideal situation, but it's certainly not illogical.
    If they're going to keep doing the same things they've always been doing, they should expect the same results. That's not illogical, either.

BIt would be stupid as hell, for ANY business, in ANY field to forget about long time customers/fans and only focus on new customers/fans
    Hmm, new 52? Rings a bell?