Page 201 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 1011511911971981992002012022032042052112513017011201 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,015 of 75153
    Ultimate Member

I think the situation is largely peaceful now.

It’s definitely very unfortunate that innocent people died and lost their businesses and property. No one wants to see that.

That’s the whole essence of peaceful protests and why those in power should heed such protests. They shouldn’t wait until said protests are hijacked by undesirable elements before deciding to “listen”. Guys like Kapernick had been protesting for years before now but they were shutdown completely which also should never have happened.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    WTF is going on with the police? Two cops confront a peaceful 75 year old protester and one shoves him. The man falls down and starts to bleed. One cop was going to help him but another cop prevents him then a swarm of cops just pass the man and ignore him. Here's the video. Tough to trust cops after all the violence they've inflicted on peaceful protesters these past few days.
    "The Fuhrman tapes are 13 hours of taped interviews given by Los Angeles police officer Mark Fuhrman to writer Laura McKinny between 1985 and 1994."

http://web.mit.edu/dryfoo/www/Info/fuhrman.html

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    What the heck are you talking about? This was a retired officer in his 70s that was murdered by looters because he was protecting his friend's Pawn Shop. David Dorn made an actual difference.
    I'm skeptical of a headline that identifies the killers when the body of the article says the police are still looking for suspects. His death is a tragedy, but let's wait a bit before pinning blame until we have an arrest at least.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    I’d really like to hear from Republicans* on here, or conservatives, or even libertarians about what their solutions are to the problems of police brutality and systemic racism.

*Except Mister Mets - you can’t even accept that the Republican Party engages in racist voter suppression, so I doubt you believe either of the above problems exist.
    Libertarian here and these are some of the solutions being discussed in our circles in regards to police brutality (the short version):

End qualified immunity. There is a bill being proposed to congress right now and you can read more about it here: https://lpgeorgia.com/endqualifiedim...cQvtjEQvqDfBT4
    I have already contacted my representatives to support this proposal.

Demilitarize the police.

Make officers pay for their own abuse settlements.

Prosecute police for civil rights violations.

If you want more in-dept information, I strongly suggest you check out Spike Cohen on Facebook. He is the Libertarian VP nominee and has had several REALLY GOOD live videos on his facebook page discussing these issues and tackling them from a libertarian prospective.

Also, since I am volunteering at a grassroots level for The Jo Jorgensen/Spike Cohen ticket check out the campaign page at Joj2020.com. Finally, Jo and Spike will be having an ask me anything facebook live event tonight from 5-6 EST on Jo Jorgensen's facebook. This would be a great opportunity to get answers straight from the candidates!
    Last edited by Jekyll; 06-05-2020 at 07:44 AM.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Intermediary

WTF is going on with the police? Two cops confront a peaceful 75 year old protester and one shoves him. The man falls down and starts to bleed. One cop was going to help him but another cop prevents him then a swarm of cops just pass the man and ignore him. Here's the video. Tough to trust cops after all the violence they've inflicted on peaceful protesters these past few days.
    stuff that has been going on forever

ask any black or brown person and this is the REAL police

badge wearing tyrants

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The man's family needs to sue the unholy **** out of the police department and the city. That was beyond reprehensible.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Has anyone ever thought about creating your own political video? I have.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

I'm focused on the looting, businesses being robbed, properties being burned down, and people being murdered. Even a black police officer was killed and the media barely acknowledged him.

I have to help my wife move to Philadelphia later this year so she can finish her fellowship. I'm nervous as hell for her safety. I'd feel far safer walking the streets with Police/Military than I would rioters
    It's why it's important to put a human face on things. It's easy to dismiss it as a couple of Xboxs being stolen if you're just reading about it on the internet. But try telling the family members of someone murdered by rioters that it's a sidebar. Sometimes generating empathy takes a bit of effort. It's why people protest in the first place.

Spectacular Member Maine Starfish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    It's the usual right-wing response to any kind of uprising regarding civil rights because the civil rights of others are relatively unimportant to them.

They deny people their civil rights through obstruction and voter suppression then act as if it's a surprise when people rebel against said inequality.

If they devoted half as much energy to addressing the root of the problem -- authoritarian abuse and white supremacist attitudes -- then they would have already resolved the issue about two hundred years ago.
    Indeed, I very quickly lose my patience with these types of conversations. I admire the persistence and patience others like yourself have with all this

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The man's family needs to sue the unholy **** out of the police department and the city. That was beyond reprehensible.
    That's the beauty of the cell phone. Its the great equalizer. More dangerous than any gun or knife, and in the hands of every person walking the street.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    My website...

https://illuminamagazine.wordpress.com/

...drawings, books, screenplays and music are political enough for me -- you'd probably do well in that medium though and it's a lot more direct.

Which might be exactly what's needed now -- I just can't be bothered to keep trying to point out the obvious at the expense of my art(s).
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-05-2020 at 08:11 AM.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

What the heck are you talking about? This was a retired officer in his 70s that was murdered by looters because he was protecting his friend's Pawn Shop. David Dorn made an actual difference.
    Do you have evidence of that accusation?

Ockham's razor says a black man outside a store being looted was not killed by black protestors.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Has anything good ever come out of those political videos non-journalists record in their basements?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    That's the beauty of the cell phone. Its the great equalizer. More dangerous than any gun or knife, and in the hands of every person walking the street.
    Indeed. A generation ago before the technology became more widely available, Derek Chauvin LITERALLY would've gotten away with murder. But, because of video, his heinous crime ended up being seen the world over, sparking demands for justice, and, just as importantly, for BADLY needed police reform.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Spectacular Member Maine Starfish's Avatar

since May 26 over 250 press freedom violations have been reported

https://cpj.org/