Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by justinslot View Post
    This thread inspired me to google "golden age aquaman" and here is an important result.

I've been a comics nerd for most of my existence, and I'm kind of ancient, and I had no idea the Golden Age Aquaman had an entirely different origin.
    The Golden Age origin doesn't really seem different at all. I'd say the origin that's the most different would probably be the son of the Atlantean Mage and Queen by Peter David.

Thanks for the link though I was a bit unsure about his GA origin

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I think there's a lot of pre-Superman stuff that's also never been reprinted.
    I'd like to see some kind of "DC early years" collection with a bunch of stuff from 1935-38.

Quote Originally Posted by Enemy Ace View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen a golden age Aquaman story either, and there's been enough 'era's of ol' fishpants that he'd be a good candidate for a 'best of' collection.
    And the thing about Aquaman & GA is that they both have stories going all through the 50s, which is more than you can say for Flash & GL.

Quote Originally Posted by dogwelder View Post
    Attachment 32378

Here is some golden age Green Arrow.
    What is this? Never seen it. Doesn't look too easy to google lol.

Quote Originally Posted by dogwelder View Post
    Attachment 32378

Here is some golden age Green Arrow.
    I just found it. This is Silver Age too.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Enemy Ace View Post
    I still think it's pretty likely we'll see a 75th anniversary celebration book for Aquaman later this year, particularly as he's going to at least have a mention in Batman V. Superman it sounds like.

I don't think I've ever seen a golden age Aquaman story either, and there's been enough 'era's of ol' fishpants that he'd be a good candidate for a 'best of' collection.
    I have a reprint of More Fun Comics #101 which was the first appearance of Superboy. It has both a GA Aquaman and Green Arrow appearance in it. But as far as I know no actual collection has ever been released. Stuff like that might be the most you can find right now.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I think the one Golden Age Aquaman story I can remember reading was in this issue:

from back in 1974
    Same here, MH. It's certainly the only one from the '40s that I recall, at any rate.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    And the thing about Aquaman & GA is that they both have stories going all through the 50s, which is more than you can say for Flash & GL.
    Flash should have been around instead of Johnny Quick, IMO, but office politics squelched that.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    The Golden Age origin doesn't really seem different at all. I'd say the origin that's the most different would probably be the son of the Atlantean Mage and Queen by Peter David.

Thanks for the link though I was a bit unsure about his GA origin
    I dunno, Aquaman not even being Atlantean is a pretty big difference, as is the lack of Tom Curry as well as his powers not being natural. It's not shown in the link, but Aquaman says his dad was 'a marine scientist of renown', IIRC, and he goes unnamed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    I dunno, Aquaman not even being Atlantean is a pretty big difference, as is the lack of Tom Curry as well as his powers not being natural. It's not shown in the link, but Aquaman says his dad was 'a marine scientist of renown', IIRC, and he goes unnamed.
    Meh other then the change for Tom its pretty similar. Grew up not really knowing his mother discovering Atlantis, His mothers nature is ambigous and his father is human. Regardless of his human statement on being a human who can breathe underwater. I dont see the origin being to different its just really short but still easy to connect it to the Silver Age origin for the most part. Sorry for the Late Reply I still dont get how to check replies and stuff on here..

Anyways in regards to a anniversary

https://mobile.twitter.com/AquamanSh...22787066191872

Retired

MORE FUN COMICS 73 and 101 were both done as MILLENNIUM EDITIONs in 2000.

Aquaman did show up in ALL-STAR SQUADRON--so I think that's the one book that reallly drives home the dfference between Earth-Two Aquaman versus Earth-One Aquaman.

Of course, in reality, there was no distinct difference--just as there wasn't for Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman or Green Arrow--it's just that the characters evolved over time and the engraver's plates for the early Aquaman were lost, so rather than try to reproduce old comics (even if they were only around 15 years old at the time), the editors did new origin stories. And as seems to be the case with all writers, their new stories had cosmetic changes.

Still, it's too bad that more Aquaman stories haven't been reprinted. They weren't the greatest stories--even by 1940 standards--but it's interesting to see how the character developed. It's too bad that both the ARCHIVES and the SHOWCASE PRESENTS started so late in Aquaman's run and didn't at least reprint some more of the 1950s stories.

All-New Member

Aquaman began appearing in Adventure Comics in issue 103. If you google adventure comics blog, you'll see a site that chronicles that late, great magazine. It's mostly single-page shots, but there are at least a couple of complete Aquaman stories from the 1940s. There's some Green Arrow stuff also.

Aquaman origin story (originally from More Fun Comics #73)
    as reprinted in Secret Origins #7 (October-November 1974):

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Well, looks like that would have been originally published in Adventure Comics #227 (August 1956), so that would probably be tail-end Golden Age. (The artist, Ramona Fradon, began drawing the Aquaman feature in 1951.)