Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Recommendations: Legion of Super-Heroes

The New 52 run was ok, I see a ton of potential in these characters especially Mon-El.

What stories would you guys recommend Pre-New 52 but also Modern.

lots of great stories. here are some of my favorites:

The Great Darkness Saga
    An Eye for an Eye
    Action Comics: Superman and the Legion of Superheroes

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

The first two volumes of Mark Waid's Threeboot Legion were good. After he added Supergirl to the book all the Legionnaire took a backseat to her.

Pick up the Curse if you want more pre-crisis legion.

5 Years Later by Giffen
    DnA run
    BB

Eye for an eye
    Great darkness saga
    Legion lost vol 1

I seriously and strongly recommend reading DnA run. They make me love the Legion.

"Legion Of The Damned":
    Legionnaires #78 (epilogue only)
    Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #122
    Legionnaires #79
    Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #123
    Legionnaires #80
    Legion Lost (12 issues)
    Legion Worlds (6 issues)
    The Legion (38 issues)

Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning wrote some excellent stories and Olivier Coipel art make them look amazing.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xSonOfTheAtomx View Post
    I seriously and strongly recommend reading DnA run. They make me love the Legion.

"Legion Of The Damned":
    Legionnaires #78 (epilogue only)
    Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #122
    Legionnaires #79
    Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #123
    Legionnaires #80
    Legion Lost (12 issues)
    Legion Worlds (6 issues)
    The Legion (38 issues)

Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning wrote some excellent stories and Olivier Coipel art make them look amazing.
    Agreed. Also Legion 124-125 and Legionnaires 81
    Cyclops was right

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The run right before the Nu52 started is pretty much the same as the one after. They didn't really reboot the Legion at all so the book just continued with a new #1 and split off some characters into the Legion Lost series where 7 members of the team ended up in the present day DCU. So really all the modern stuff is basically:

Justice League 8-10 and Justice Society 4-6
    Action Comics 858-864 : Superman and the Legion of Super Heroes
    Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds 1-5
    Legion of Super Heroes 1-16
    Adventure Comics 8-12, 516-529 (renumered at issue 13 to the old numbering making it 516)
    Legion of Super Heroes 0, 1-23
    Legion Lost 0, 1-16

Mon-El was the star of the Superman book from issues 686-698 where he took over for Superman in modern day Metropolis.
    Supergirl Annual 2 and issue 52 guest starred the Legion (mostly Brainiac 5)
    The Legion was featured heavily in The Last Stand of New Krypton story

Those are most of the modern apperances for the version of the team you read in the Nu52 series. Before that run you had the polerizing Threeboot run by Mark Waid and latter Jim Shooter which ran fro 50 issues. People either love or hate the issues Waid did. I hated it, but thought Shooter did a decent job of trying to salvage the mess Waid left him.

Before that you had the fantastic Abnet and Lanning (DnA) run which is well worth getting.

Not sure how modern you want to stay in your recomendations but that covers most of the last 20 years.

I'm a huge Legion of Super-heroes fan (if you can't tell ) so I have some strong opinions about the various runs.

I recommend the following:

Legion of Super-heroes v2(1980): #284-313 (the begining of the fantastic Paul Levitz run, includes the famous Great Darkness Saga)

Legion of Super-heroes v3(1984): #1-63 (the continuation of the Levitz/Giffen run in the Baxter series, some great stories like the battle vs the Time Trapper and the Magic Wars at the end of the series)

Legion of Super-heroes v4(1989): #1-12 (the Giffen/Bierbaum era is a mixed bag for me; I like the first 12 issues a lot but hate most of everything after that so it's up to you if you like it or not as it's not everyone's cup of tea)

Legion Lost: #1-12 (this was a fantastic story and great setup for the DnA run on "The Legion")

The Legion: #1-33 (I thought the DnA run was great, barring a few hiccups here and there)

Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds (this is a bit more of an action adventure than anything truly groundbreaking and is a bit of a nostalgia trip of old school Legion fans)

Legion of Superheroes v6(2010): #1-16 (the return of Paul Levitz to the LoSH, some people liked it and others didn't so read it for yourself to see what you think)

In closing, I think the Waid "Threeboot"(LoSH #v5) is an abomination and don't recommend it all. Also, the remainder of LoSH v4 and it's sister series Legionnaires jump between stories until the DnA era so you would need to pick up both series to get the full stories from the post Zero Hour Legion.
    Last edited by Pharozonk; 11-10-2014 at 10:46 PM.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Seems the Waid stuff is getting a lot of hate, so I have to throw in that I for one loved some of it. Especially the first trade, Teenage Revolution. One of the best books ive read in a long time.

BANNED

The Great Darkness Saga
    The Curse
    An Eye for an Eye
    The More Things Change

BANNED

Their first real epic saga:

Spectacular Member

What Waid did was great IMO. Very refreshing. I've been meaning to revisit it. It's best though in the first part of his run. I actually just recently read Legion lost and was blown away by it. It may be one if my favorite legion stories now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    I'm a huge Legion of Super-heroes fan (if you can't tell ) so I have some strong opinions about the various runs.

I recommend the following:

Legion of Super-heroes v2(1980): #284-313 (the begining of the fantastic Paul Levitz run, includes the famous Great Darkness Saga)

Legion of Super-heroes v3(1984): #1-63 (the continuation of the Levitz/Giffen run in the Baxter series, some great stories like the battle vs the Time Trapper and the Magic Wars at the end of the series)

Legion of Super-heroes v4(1989): #1-12 (the Giffen/Bierbaum era is a mixed bag for me; I like the first 12 issues a lot but hate most of everything after that so it's up to you if you like it or not as it's not everyone's cup of tea)

Legion Lost: #1-12 (this was a fantastic story and great setup for the DnA run on "The Legion")

The Legion: #1-33 (I thought the DnA run was great, barring a few hiccups here and there)

Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds (this is a bit more of an action adventure than anything truly groundbreaking and is a bit of a nostalgia trip of old school Legion fans)

Legion of Superheroes v6(2010): #1-16 (the return of Paul Levitz to the LoSH, some people liked it and others didn't so read it for yourself to see what you think)

In closing, I think the Waid "Threeboot"(LoSH #v5) is an abomination and don't recommend it all. Also, the remainder of LoSH v4 and it's sister series Legionnaires jump between stories until the DnA era so you would need to pick up both series to get the full stories from the post Zero Hour Legion.
    Thanks. I'll have to check the 16 issues before New 52, so I guess it's like the Green Lantern where it wasn't rebooted for New 52.

Formally: The Adventurer Jim Purcell's Avatar

Personally I'm a big fan of the first 13 issues of Mark Waid's 'Threeboot' Legion. I think its a great variation on the Legion concept. Even if its not exactly in line with the classic Legion's modivations. I think that's what I like most about the Legion. Potential for many interpretations of its core concept. Probably more so then any other comic team.

As for recommendations. I will second the classic DnA Legion Lost (along with its lead-ins, Legion of the Damned & Widening Rifts. And its follow ups in Legion Worlds and The Legion)

Great Darkness Saga + The Curse is a no brainer. Collected in some lovely hardcovers. Probably the single best way to introduce yourself to the Legion of Super-Heroes concept at their peak.

I'll also throw out there Superboy's Legion. Its an Elseworld Legion story, but its a decent one.
    Last edited by Jim Purcell; 11-11-2014 at 07:30 AM.