Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default DC 2018: "greater emphasis on the artist over the writer"

According to a Bleeding Cool article (Not a reliable source, but whatever), in 2018, writers at DC will be instructed to work the so-called “Marvel Method”, wherein "the the artist works from a story synopsis from the writer (or plotter), rather than a full script. The artist creates page-by-page plot details on his or her own, after which the work is returned to the writer for the insertion of dialogue."

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11...d-that-marvel/

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

How does someone like Tom King operate going forward?

King posted some of his scripts for Vision earlier. Given the faith showed in his artist from those scripts, I can see him acclimating well.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Interesting. I wonder what this will do for the quality of the books and stories?

I imagine it's up to how well the writer/artist team communicate?
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I know that's also how successful creative teams have worked in the past (at DC Infantino draw and left his dialogue boxes blank, if I remember right) but I can't imagine it. Maybe because I can write but can't illustrate. The dialogue the writer wants can't exist if the art panels don't support them. But I guess those major moments are instructed beforehand. If the artist is in control of them then I don't see why they don't fill in the dialogue boxes themselves. I don't know.

Well... that's one way to keep Bendis from doing 20 pages of talking heads...

This is actually one of my favorite methods for comics and it worked really well on the Giffen/DeMatteis JLI run, which used it.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Eh...I'm not sure how well I see this working out, because giving so much control to the artist reminds me of how we got Tony Daniel inexplicably writing Batman books and Deathstroke or Bryan Hitch on Justice League, even if this is a completely different thing and another writer is still involved.

Though I am kind of amused by how much DC is liberally taking from Marvel, idea-wise .

If it's true, I don't mind as long as it's not mandatory. It could work, but obviously not every artist can do it, so they better not try to force them to do it. Leave the creative team to work however they choose in order to give the best possible result.
    Last edited by Johnny; 11-13-2017 at 10:48 PM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Eh...I'm not sure how well I see this working out, because giving so much control to the artist reminds me of how we got Tony Daniel inexplicably writing Batman books and Deathstroke or Bryan Hitch on Justice League, even if this is a completely different thing and another writer is still involved.

Though I am kind of amused by how much DC is liberally taking from Marvel, idea-wise .
    Hey, Marvel no longer wants to be the dominant force in comics sales? DC may as well take up the tools Marvel once used to crush them for decades and turn them around on them!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    If it's true, I don't mind as long as it's not mandatory. It could work, but obviously not every artist can do it, so they better not try to force them to do it.
    The article specifically mentions that the artist will have the option of requesting a script.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Bleeding Cool says in the article writers and arits can talk to each other if this isn't something they are interested in, so I imagine most artist declining to let the writer do their thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Eh...I'm not sure how well I see this working out, because giving so much control to the artist reminds me of how we got Tony Daniel inexplicably writing Batman books . . .
    I'd rather go back to Tony Daniel writing Batman than have Tom King continue his torturous "writing" on that title . . .

In the comments you can see Juan Ferreyra saying how he and Percy have been doing it on Green Arrow. Personally, I think the method can fail or not depending in the team, no absolutes. What worries me is that the article says the artist can ask for a script, making me fear that the opinion of the writer is being downplayed and going back to the times where artists like Jim Lee, who was really good as a penciller, was allowed to participate and even plan the stories, that clearly wasn’t his strong suit, but as he was so popular he keep doing so. Maybe I’m being paranoid, since as I previously said, it’s a method that can work and is even being implemented nowadays by some creative teams, so there’s no problem as long as it’s by mutual agreement
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Don't make the artists into writers
    we saw how that worked out with Hitch and Daniel
    Just make them draw the characters keep the plot away from them if you know what I mean

But as there are artists that didn’t evolve into good writers, there are also others who did ... I wouldn’t take away their chance to prove that they can succeed as writers... I think the problem is when editors treat them like rockstars and let them do whatever they want only because they’re popular pencillers
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

I don't care how an issue gets constructed as long as it's good. Whatever methods works for the creative team; do it.
    Superhero shows are trash